Post-Game Talk: Jets 7- Crapnucks 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Oh. My lack of faith and enthusiasm for the Jets is because I don't want to get hurt again. I still fist pump when they score goals, but I desperately want them to not hurt me again. The last 3 seasons were traumatic (exacerbated by the pandemic lol).
This sounds like almost every friend I have lamenting about her dating prospects.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Well, I do consider the Jets to be my 23 boyfriends, so I feel her pain!

They have been great bf's this year though. Lots of dinners, flowers and backrubs
Be careful with those backrubs. They start out feeling fantastic but if you don't have boundaries defined ahead of time, they can quickly migrate into something delicious that you regret.

Then again, having 23 puts you in a category all by yourself, obviously not worried about your reputation.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Also, for those bitching that we should have kept Comrie at DOUBLE the price of Rittich:

Capture.PNG

I REALLY, REALLY want to kick Toronto's ass now that we have a healthy top 6.
Oh dude me toooooooooo

Be careful with those backrubs. They start out feeling fantastic but if you don't have boundaries defined ahead of time, they can quickly migrate into something delicious that you regret.

Then again, having 23 puts you in a category all by yourself, obviously not worried about your reputation.
Haha my rep was ruined years ago :P

As a side note, I feel really bad for Scheifele. He probably has 20 more assists this year if his linemates had any finish.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

HAH! I think she just called you a slut there, Jet!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ya.....Dave was fine. One weak one, but those deflections were untouchable.
EXACTLY! He looked a bit herky jerky in net, but I thought he settled down in the third and gave the Jets exactly what they needed to suck any remaining fight out of the Nucks.

He's a 900,000 backup, so people expecting him to be more than he has been is unrealistic.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if the Jets went shopping for a better guy for that role, but until then I am satisfied with BSD's performance this year.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
This sounds like almost every friend I have lamenting about her dating prospects.

I mean, you aren't wrong. Being a sports fan is like being in a toxic relationship with a partner you can't quit. Just when you're ready to open up and love them again, they do the same stupid shit they did before and remind you why you shouldn't like them as much. :P

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Mo was fired. If you know people that work at TNSE, you will know this to be true. Chipman - not Chevy - loved the guy and let him choose his exit.

That’s all I have to say about it, sorry to hijack the thread everyone.

Oh ok...well if true, it's an even bigger indictment of this organization. Also, Paul Maurice made a huge mistake accepting that offer...he comes out looking worse than having been fired. All those interviews he's given since talking about how he "lost the good feeling of coaching" and what not. Not a good look for him. And for the Jet's to (supposedly) make that move with Lowry as the guy (and on a game day afternoon no less iirc?) is laughably poor management.

(but I still don't buy it. Sorry. )

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Sorry, but anytime somebody trots out the sillyness about Mo having actually been fired but allowed the option to resign to save his feelsies I'm going to respond.

(and anyway, people still bring up Pav for cripe sakes! lol...It's not shocking there's still mention of a coach the year after his departure after 9 seasons here - and probably at least 2 too many.)

Not shocking at all, it's perfectly understandable and healthy...and as good a jumping-off point as any for a rant.

Maurice was an integral part of the Jets, arguably its most recognizable face and voice, for most of its 2.0 existence. He is part of Jets history, not an "ex-girlfriend" to be belittled or expunged from memory.

The "girlfriend" is actually the team itself, with whom we have not broken up (if we are still here), but who has caused us plenty heartbreak and joy over the years.

Two maxims worth considering: history is lost on the young, and, those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it

The first might explain why so many misunderstand why Maurice is still part of the chatter here. The second is the reason why the Maurice Era needs to be studied by the Jets owner and SM so they learn important lessons about themselves, and do things differently next time.

Maurice, Byfuglien, Little-Ladd-Wheeler, Trouba--all are part of our recent history in different ways. The team itself is the GF/BF, with all its drama. I personally find the history more interesting than the day to day drama of a volatile relationship. (That's probably because the latter is part of my own ancient history, which I thankfully learned from!)

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Glad they were able to pull it out of the fire in the 3rd, and the Canucks just kind of folded then. Almost no push back from them. I feel bad for Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, and Boeser, because they deserve better than this.

I was also reminded of Paul Maurice's quote a few seasons ago, where the Jets never won more than 3 games in a row, but never lost more than twice in a row. It was a strangely bizarre and even season. I can't actually remember the quote right now either, but it was addressing how the team rebounds after a loss. So far, I like what I see when the Jets play bad teams (except Columbus and Arizona, apparently), but I _really_ want to see what their full lineup can do against the good teams. I've been left severely wanting against those teams (looking at Caps, VGK, and TML here), and I want to see them actually play well and win those games. No more eeking out a victory by the grace of God and puck luck.

Oh. My lack of faith and enthusiasm for the Jets is because I don't want to get hurt again. I still fist pump when they score goals, but I desperately want them to not hurt me again. The last 3 seasons were traumatic (exacerbated by the pandemic lol).

i actually liked VAN's top-6 going into the year. but other than that their roster is full of holes. then you add a management where i don't think they are in love with the coach, it's just not a good recipe. Demko took a huge step back prior to getting hurt, and their alternative goalies ain't much better. they're 2nd in worst in team sv%, we're 2nd best and that's the tale of the two seasons.

i echo your final point a bit. the Jets have been great this year i had them as a PO team, but i did not have them vying for top-5 in the league. evidently my most enjoyable season since 17-18. although a great regular season is nice and all, they need to get it done in the POs. flash-in-the-pan seasons happen where a team just explodes for 100+ pts, look at the Flames last year for instance. imo how deep this team goes in the POs will be the criteria for success.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Pionk is the obvious weak link in that Jets defense. Cheveldayoff needs to find a suitor to trade him to for some adequate depth on wing.

Agree, but that contract makes him a tough one to trade, and he strikes me as a bit of a face-saver for Chevy, so not sure he's going anywhere. I reckon it's a good long while before Pionk is gionk.

But yeah, he's been meh to yikes for the best part of 2 years now, and is currently like the anti-DeMelo, making anyone he's lined up with worse. Even this year's JNo can't carry him.

Weird game, goalie duel in the wrong direction, plenty of players and combos looking out of sorts.

But then, there was PLD/KFC/Ehlers. What a pleasure to see Nik starting to fly once again out there -- both setups for KFC were things of beauty, and his goal from around the back was a reminder of just how dangerous he can be as a player with that speed, that playmaking, and that shot. Egads.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Agree, but that contract makes him a tough one to trade, and he strikes me as a bit of a face-saver for Chevy, so not sure he's going anywhere. I reckon it's a good long while before Pionk is gionk.

But yeah, he's been meh to yikes for the best part of 2 years now, and is currently like the anti-DeMelo, making anyone he's lined up with worse. Even this year's JNo can't carry him.

Weird game, goalie duel in the wrong direction, plenty of players and combos looking out of sorts.

But then, there was PLD/KFC/Ehlers. What a pleasure to see Nik starting to fly once again out there -- both setups for KFC were things of beauty, and his goal from around the back was a reminder of just how dangerous he can be as a player with that speed, that playmaking, and that shot. Egads.
look at both morrissey and dillon w/ and w/o pionk. context factors need to be taken into consideraton ofc however it seems like he drags on both quote bit. the best top-4 i think we can put out there would be morrissey-demelo, dillon-schmidt if you're using a mixture of shots/chances/goals for vs against as criteria.

Reactions: hn777

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
look at both morrissey and dillon w/ and w/o pionk. context factors need to be taken into consideraton ofc however it seems like he drags on both quote bit. the best top-4 i think we can put out there would be morrissey-demelo, dillon-schmidt if you're using a mixture of shots/chances/goals for vs against as criteria.

Yes, that's def how I see it.

I'd rather see Samberg/ Heinola /Capo than Pionk/Anyone at this point, but if you're going to run Pionk give him the fewest possible minutes on the 3rd pairing and spell him out on specials where possible. Or let him sort out what's ailing him and then bring him in as PO reinforcements.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

I'd rather see Samberg/ Heinola /Capo than Pionk/Anyone at this point, but if you're going to run Pionk give him the fewest possible minutes on the 3rd pairing and spell him out on specials where possible. Or let him sort out what's ailing him and then bring him in as PO reinforcements.
Agreed. 3rd pair pp2 would be the least consequential role for him. At the end of the day this team will probably have one ~6m dman on the third pair between him or Schmidt. I'd keep the one that rates out favorably next to Dillon in that top 4 role.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I mean, you aren't wrong. Being a sports fan is like being in a toxic relationship with a partner you can't quit. Just when you're ready to open up and love them again, they do the same stupid shit they did before and remind you why you shouldn't like them as much. :P
I should have a team that I only cheer for when they're winning

More like a FWB scenario

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
By the way, Jesus had a great game as well. Love his wheels. If he could turn my glass of water into wine the next time, I'd also love that.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Last year the Jets underperformed. Majority of the hockey experts had the Jets making the playoffs … “ an excellent top 6 and top goalie Hellebuyck “ so why is everyone so surprised the Jets are winning on a regular bases this year with basically the same team?
Jets are a top 8 team as long as Helly stays healthy or is not adding a family member in the spring the Jets can go for a deep run in the playoffs.

Reactions: thereturn

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Not shocking at all, it's perfectly understandable and healthy...and as good a jumping-off point as any for a rant.

Maurice was an integral part of the Jets, arguably its most recognizable face and voice, for most of its 2.0 existence. He is part of Jets history, not an "ex-girlfriend" to be belittled or expunged from memory.

The "girlfriend" is actually the team itself, with whom we have not broken up (if we are still here), but who has caused us plenty heartbreak and joy over the years.

Two maxims worth considering: history is lost on the young, and, those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it

The first might explain why so many misunderstand why Maurice is still part of the chatter here. The second is the reason why the Maurice Era needs to be studied by the Jets owner and SM so they learn important lessons about themselves, and do things differently next time.

Maurice, Byfuglien, Little-Ladd-Wheeler, Trouba--all are part of our recent history in different ways. The team itself is the GF/BF, with all its drama. I personally find the history more interesting than the day to day drama of a volatile relationship. (That's probably because the latter is part of my own ancient history, which I thankfully learned from!)

I think Maurice's tenure as a whole here is a great topic to discuss.

Not personally a fan when it's brought up out of the blue every game when the Jets do well and/or the Panthers lose.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I feel like Pionk has lost his identity a bit. He's stuck in a middle ground where he's trying to be better defensively but it's really taking away from his strength wth is his offensive abilities.

I still have hope for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad