Post-Game Talk: Jets 7- Crapnucks 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
If Rittich continues to struggle, and other than tonight he's been good, apparently Brossoit is available out of Vegas for a really good price -- so I hear. May be a good idea to pick him up, as we'll need a good backup Goalie for the playoffs. Brossoit is a Goalie that plays better as a backup, than as a starter. Rittich was very shaky for the first 2 periods tonight.

???

It's helle or bust in the playoffs.

Maybe to make the playoffs with a high enough seed.

I'm reminded of the Colts practice schedule when they had Manning. The second team offense got zero practice time, because the coaches knew they'd be f***ed if manning went out no matter what.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
If Rittich continues to struggle, and other than tonight he's been good, apparently Brossoit is available out of Vegas for a really good price -- so I hear. May be a good idea to pick him up, as we'll need a good backup Goalie for the playoffs. Brossoit is a Goalie that plays better as a backup, than as a starter. Rittich was very shaky for the first 2 periods tonight.
Backup goalie is the most overvalued position by fans in the entire league. I'm saying this as a former goalie. They have one job: be good enough so that the starter gets enough rest during the regular season.

If we're in a position where we need to turn to our backup in the playoffs, we might as well hope that Rittich somehow catches lightning in a bottle for 16 games.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I feel like Pionk has lost his identity a bit. He's stuck in a middle ground where he's trying to be better defensively but it's really taking away from his strength wth is his offensive abilities.

I still have hope for him.
Pionk has been better defensively - he proved that during the Canadian division year that also happened to be his contract year.
I comes down to whether or not this type of player wants to put in the work required to be responsible defensively.

Or put another way, do they have what it takes to maintain that type of game. I remember him being a real PITA out there - he'd take on any battle in his zone and he won many of them.
But it took a lot out of him.

I agree that he has lost his identity - he's no longer as defensively responsible as he once was (and can be).
I don't think the Jets gave him $6M based on his offense - it was the combination of strengths he showcased at that time, that had them opening up the wallet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I feel like Pionk has lost his identity a bit. He's stuck in a middle ground where he's trying to be better defensively but it's really taking away from his strength wth is his offensive abilities.

I still have hope for him.
The coaches obviously trust him in the defensive zone because he gets a lot of those late minute situations. I think fans don't see well enough how much his breakouts passes affect positive zone transition.

I think he's playing less physical this year to conserve something. A 56 game season (his best) isn't as taxing as an 82 game season. Once the Jets get passed the trade deadline mark and if they are in a more secure spot in the standings, he's definitely a player I'd rest for a bit...

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Pionk has been better defensively - he proved that during the Canadian division year that also happened to be his contract year.
I comes down to whether or not this type of player wants to put in the work required to be responsible defensively.

Or put another way, do they have what it takes to maintain that type of game. I remember him being a real PITA out there - he'd take on any battle in his zone and he won many of them.
But it took a lot out of him.

I agree that he has lost his identity - he's no longer as defensively responsible as he once was (and can be).
I don't think the Jets game him $6M based on his offense - it was the combination of strengths he showcased at that time, that had them opening up the wallet.
Lots of good points here.

Essentially, for me, I like the player a lot and the good news is that despite his uneven play, the Jets have still put together a great season.

Dream scenario is we get peak Pionk heading into the playoffs. I feel like he's going to be essential to us in the post season

Nov 24, 2006
Be careful with those backrubs. They start out feeling fantastic but if you don't have boundaries defined ahead of time, they can quickly migrate into something delicious that you regret.
293df897-c495-4d14-9c2e-2184bf03e853_1.448e0824707c432983f32e2d8bf6eb99.jpeg

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Essentially, for me, I like the player a lot and the good news is that despite his uneven play, the Jets have still put together a great season.

Dream scenario is we get peak Pionk heading into the playoffs. I feel like he's going to be essential to us in the post season
I'm down with that -- I loved Peak Pest Pionk in years past. He was an absolute PITA to play against, seemed to be the one D we had who could transition quickly and effectively disrupt or even shit down key opposition players during that brutal Passive D phase where none of our D were allowed past the blueline without a hall pass from the coach.

He seems to back off players a lot more now, is less aggressive in all zones and seems less inclined to carry the puck. I know his suspension and retaliatory concussion courtesy of TO impacted his game for a while -- wonder if it still does.

Not all players are best served by playing their peskiest game. But I think Neal is.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

We had Joe Morrow scoring huge goals and playing a role for us during the WCF run.

Pionk is better than Joe Morrow, as much as I love the man for scoring the goal that broke the franchise's curse.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Update:
He's 2nd in my weighted GAR model (it weights both GAR and xGAR components to optimize predictivity and is superior to the individual models, IMO) per game only to McDavid.
Will fly stay a top 10 forward? who knows. But so far he's been.
For the past few seasons I've always seen Ehlers as a poor man's McDavid based on playstyle, eye test matches up!

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
???

It's helle or bust in the playoffs.

Maybe to make the playoffs with a high enough seed.

I'm reminded of the Colts practice schedule when they had Manning. The second team offense got zero practice time, because the coaches knew they'd be f***ed if manning went out no matter what.

Look at Matt Murray for example who won Cups
It's not a priority but if worst comes to worst I'd rather hope some other guy randomly gets hot than Rittich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad