Post-Game Talk: Jets 6 - Devils 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Looked relatively back to his quicker-thinking self in this one imo. Hopefully he's shaking off the rust
He still doesn't look as agile or straight line fast as he did before the injury. I think it might be permanent but looks like he's adapting and his smarts should help him compensate.

It might be a blessing in disguise as he'll need to use his linemates more

Namestnikov’s best game as a Jet?

That was fun.
Everyone wanted a piece of him. That's how you can be a true pest. Don't be dirty, and have skill to do more than just be a shit disturber.

Quietly one of the better things Chevy did this offseason.

Cheveldayoff isn't perfect but anyone who thinks he's not one of the top gms in the league is not paying attention.

That f**king dive in the 3rd.....Dear god. How does he live with himself?? Pathetic.
Beady eyed little bitch. I've never liked him

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Not sure if I'm reading into this too much, and no disrespect to Bones but since Arniel took over we:
- Have a much more balanced TOI distribution
- Have a willingness to play lines that are having good games more
- See some underutilized effective players like Perfetti and Ehlers being used more in clutch situations
- Have huge powerplay improvements

And, mostly continuing to get the better of teams 5 on 5.

Some of this is no doubt natural progression and luck and it's also super early. But I'm warming to the idea of having Arniel take over permanently.
I don't think you're reading too much into this - solid observation.
Once thing we do need to consider is the chicken / egg thing -
Did the players start playing better which lead to more ice time
Or did the coach start playing them more, which lead to them playing better and keeping the ice time.
Or maybe a bit of both -
Tough call - you could argue either way.

I do like listening to Arniel - sounds like he has a good hockey head and he clearly see's what's going on out there.
He's picking up on the small things that make players / teams better - and seeing the detail helps him zone in on who is playing well and why.
Good coach IMO - and so is Bones - but they have different methods in communicating post game and I actually prefer the detail Arniel throws in.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Or did the coach start playing them more, which lead to them playing better and keeping the ice time.
Or maybe a bit of both -

I do like listening to Arniel - sounds like he has a good hockey head and he clearly see's what's going on out there.
He's picking up on the small things that make players / teams better - and seeing the detail helps him zone in on who is playing well and why.
Good coach IMO - and so is Bones - but they have different methods in communicating post game and I actually prefer the detail Arniel throws in.
Probably a bit of both, however have noticed since Friedman called out the Perfetti TOI few weeks ago there's been less bitching and whining specifically in threads from the usual crew. Might be worth to do a little before-and-after comparison of TOI, shifts by period etc to see how much or if there was an actual adjustment since.

The Jets were also on a solid win/point streak where you can roll your 4 lines through games. So that is contributing too. Look back at the two recent L's against Dallas and Vegas. 4th line was like 5ish mins at 5v5 (which makes sense)

These are pretty much the same lines that Bowness had put together in his final game (vs EDM). He removed Appleton pretty swiftly after 4-5 days from the scheifele line for Iafallo and made the switch to Namestnikov at C, and all 3 top 9 lines have been better since.

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Great game. Fun to watch. I don't like seeing Ehlers dropping the gloves, even though I really like it when he drops the gloves. I think you know what I mean - the guy has game and isn't afraid to drop them with guys that have 20+ lbs on him. He holds his own, but you can't help but think that he is going to suffer an injury. And we need him going on the ice.

When you see the Jets play like they did yesterday, you wonder if getting Vilardi back is the piece that will enable the Jets to climb into the top 10 list.

Dirtbag151

Feb 6, 2021

Attachments

• cdad.jpg
    cdad.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Stayed awake for the entire game! The old Crunch 'n Munch had no effect on me...yet... Great showing by the Jets, they seem to be playing with some passion this season, which is good to see! I give the game four eels out of five...

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy-downsized-large.gif
giphy.gif

The Prediction Contest has been posted for the game against the Sabres, and guess what...

giphy.gif

Two more posters have hit the trifecta, getting the team, the score, and the opening goal scorer correct for a whopping eight points! How about that! Don't forget to sign up to make a GDT, there are plenty of games available and I can't make them all...:sarcasm:

giphy.gif

See you guys on Friday...

giphy.gif
Crunch N Munch! They still make that?:DD

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Cheveldayoff isn't perfect but anyone who thinks he's not one of the top gms in the league is not paying attention.

I'd have to agree that he's been better than average.

One of the more frustrating things about Chevy (and my biggest complaint) was he was a very reactive GM and wasn't very proactive. I think he's gotten better at that the past couple of seasons. It's hard trying to find the right balance, and each season Chevy has been doing well at finding it.

Obviously room for improvement, but way better than in the earlier seasons.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yet apparently Boston doesn't regret taking Debrusk, Senyshyn, and Zboril ahead of him :sarcasm:

Debrusk - 1G so far
Senyshyn playing in Germany
Zboril in the AHL
Taken 13, 14 & 15 in an exceptionally strong draft class.
The 3 players taken immediately next have 16G so far this year.
BB picks have scored career 122G. Those next 3 have scored 383.
Yeah, no regrets at all. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Iafallo clicking on the top line is massive, similar to DeMelo working with Morrissey. We have better players than Iafallo, but if he's allowing Scheifele and Connor to be their best selves then we can have Vilardi boosting another line when he gets back.

Exactly!

We have a lot of nice options at forward. This is a very deep group. We will see how it plays out.

Any word on Kupari yet?
If he is going to miss much time we will need Vilardi back all the more.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's almost like not being static on the powerplay has benefits. Such a weird notion. And it's almost so simple as to keep that one player in motion, in this case Perfetti, so that the D can't just focus on the puck. More than one player moving their feet? Magical.

Bring back last year's PK. As I recall it was much better. We almost seem to be back to the Maurice saggy bag defense on the PK again. Blech.

A static PP is no power play at all. 4 defenders can (also static BTW) cover all shooting lanes. They can cover all access to the net. It is like having 5 goalies.

IIRC didn't the PK start badly last year also?

Any word on Kupari yet? My assumption is a separated shoulder based on how he looked skating off, but hey, I'm no doctor.

He appeared to be in a lot of pain.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
So my recorded file kind of screwed me... well I screwed myself.
Because Shaw/Rogers and TSN can't get their $%&* together you have to work around the lack of proper guide listings for a 4K broadcast.

The game was broadcast in 4K as is noted on the TSN 4K schedule but Shaw/Rogers play dumb and don't have it listed. You can watch the channel and see the game but the guide doesn't recognize it. Therefore the random time slots that are meant to say no current program don't line up with the game. The hack to record this is you have to record the time slot before the game that ends part way through and you have to record the time slot after in case the end of the game spills over.

Anyways, I clicked on the wrong file (file #2) because that is what is prompted in my recordings section. Anyways long story short, I hear hockey noises, see some on ice action and the numbers 2 & 3. Instinctively I look away, mute and turn the channel. Now I don't really know what I saw but if I had to pick one or the other I was pretty sure that the Devils had the 3.

When we got that third goal I was pleasantly surprised.
Winning when you think you lost or being ahead when you think you'll be behind is a sneaky great feeling.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So should we:

1. Continue playing 11F/7D
2. Play Stanley
3. Play Schmidt

I'm not putting an option for playing Capo or Chiz cuz it clearly isn't happening.

I wouldn't do it more than occasionally if it is just to get Stan more TOI.

I wouldn't mind rotating Stan and Schmidt semi regularly to keep either from getting too stale. Might light a fire under Schmidt - if he has any fuel left.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Or maybe a bit of both -

I think Arniel gets a bad reputation for failing in Columbus. Let's be honest, how many coaches have actually succeeded there? Torts and to a less extent Hitchcock, so well established top coaches and noone else. It's an org that hasn't had much success and has been a mess. Look at Vincent this year, he's had to bench a number of key players to try to get the culture fixed.

Arniel also suffered horrible puck luck his last year there where his goalies were worst in the league and his team didn't have the skill to outscore that performance.

I have also liked what I've seen from him in his spells taking over from Bones. I think he runs a better bench and has proven over his career as an assistant he can run a good PK. The big things I'm not sure about are what systems would he run if he had the final say instead of Bones? Would he run something similar or different. We will likely find out by next season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Kupari is out 4-6 weeks with "shoulder issues". :(

Not surprised. It didn't look good when he skated off.
Sure hope it doesn't become one of those chronic things that affects a guy's career.

Edit: I wonder who will be called up. Dom Ton again? Or someone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad