Post-Game Talk: Jets 6 - Avs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
We were part of that cocktail circuit in the 70s. We bought a bigger house in 78 and it became the most popular place for everyone to gather. It's amazing our girls didn't grow up with lung cancer. The amount of liquor we went through in those days was phenomenal. I think we were mid-30s before we wised up and started moving half our cabinet out of sight before the friends started dropping by.

Been a Guinness man since I was tall enough to reach my Dad's shoulder.
Have you been to the Guinness factory in Ireland ? Wow is all i can say. And i got my perfect pour certificate. :laugh:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Can you imagine if we had even a league average PP/PK right now?

If we could manage to hit the magical 100% mark we are going to be a real problem for teams (I mean we already are).

Can you imagine if we were already there? We'd likely be talking challenging for 1OA in the NHL not just the Central

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I remember the same from when I was a kid :laugh:

Never started smoking though.

There wasn't a lot of beer drinking by the adults when I was a kid. But I do remember those big boxes of wine that were purchased for like $1.99 :laugh: Good times
View attachment 785140
5 Star Rye was the drink of choice in our house. The bottles used to have a plastic star glued into the front and the kids would get to pry it off and we'd pretend we had ninja shuriken lol. 'Cause ninja's were hot in the 80s. Simpler times

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
A bottle of Chimay Blue, Trans Canada Brewing's Cranberry Stout, a can of One Great City's Mad Scientist IPA, and a can of Half Pints' Little Scrapper IPA. Nothing super interesting :laugh:
Perhaps the most Jet beer of all.

HELLES LAGER​

I PUT MY CROCS INTO SPORTS MODE FOR THIS?​

Reactions: ps241 and buggs

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Glad to see the team winning against good teams. I haven't had a chance to watch most of the last few games but the parts I've seen have looked good.
I've also been too busy to watch for most of the season, but will be getting to watch a lot this month, from close up. Let me give you some impressions from last night.
-There is a calmness, cohesion and focus on the bench and on the ice that is different from what I remember (and despite the shitty reffing). It is a good thing.
-Valardi's skills have been mentioned by others, but he and Ehlers are thriving with first line minutes. The glue on that line, though, is Scheifele, and he is playing with unprecedented consistency and maturity. Scheifele's demeanour mirrors the team's--I can't say for sure what has happened to him--or them--but it's awesome to behold ( I have a unifying theory, but it shall remain unmentioned).
-Speaking of minutes, they are much better distributed up and down the lineup. The team depth is something to behold and I don't worry about who is on the ice at any given time. If you look at the Avalanche TOI, it is much more skewed toward their stars, reminiscent of how we were in previous years (although PP time was a factor too)
-Related to the above, guess which of our D got the most TOI last night? It was Dillon, who is playing with a ton of confidence and grit.
-Related to the above, Lowry had a quiet night on the stat sheet and saw no need to rough it up, but did his job defensively against MacKinnon and Co.. An example is when he was hit hard, off-balance into the Jets bench area by Manson near the end of the second period. He looked over his shoulder at him, and that was it. No retaliation, no unnecessary penalties in the third, just get the win. Little things like that are important.

Really satisfying win and a fun team to watch. It's early, but they look much stronger (in every sense of the word) than last year, and if they stay healthy could make some noise this season.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
5 Star Rye was the drink of choice in our house. The bottles used to have a plastic star glued into the front and the kids would get to pry it off and we'd pretend we had ninja shuriken lol. 'Cause ninja's were hot in the 80s. Simpler times

Yep, we did that too :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Crazy that it's been 19 games now allowing 3 or less with our defense as is is

Lots of lamentations around here about pionk (less so now), Schmidt and Stanley yet here we are

Averaging 4 goals per game since Connor went down

That’s what happens when you have all 5 skaters buying into the system and you have our best group of defensive forwards in the 2.0 era. Just ask @Jet but I‘m sure he would agree that playing D is a lot more fun when you have forwards that are totally committed to defending In all three zones.

Nice to finally watch the last two games all be it on PVR.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
My friends and I used them as sheriff badges...🤠

il_fullxfull.2630571599_k1uj.jpg

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
So I'm sittin' around in my jammies on this fine Sunday afternoon, thinking about what is going on with this Jets team.
I've missed a couple of games lately due to all things that take up your time during the holiday season - but I haven't missed what is going on with this Jets team. They look pretty good.

So, I though I'd ask what the Jets fan base think is driving the new Jets bus - what's going on?

My thoughts (in no particular order)?
1 - Coaching - and it's not complicated. We are playing a 200 ft game that requires a lot of work, buy in, and a consistent approach to how we play.
2 - Leadership - Lowry / Scheif / JoMo - they seem to have this group all pointing in the same direction.
3 - Speaking of 55, he is not the same player - who stole 55 and replaced him with whoever is out there now wearing his jersey - kidding aside, the guy is playing his best hockey (arguable) right now.
4 - New additions - we've added some nice pcs - and they all fit. Almost like the players added where as part of a well thought out process in order to support how we are now playing (see #1).
5 - Those that have departed - how much impact did that have? One can only guess (I guess) but I suspect this point is more impactful than we might think.
6 - The room - well, the guys have always stated that they are a tight knit bunch - but was that really true - and is this what a tight group really looks like? I think it's supper impactful when it's true.
7 - Growth - are the players better now? Or are they simply better prepared, better coached, more focused, more confident, all the above?
8 - Is the org beginning to figure things out? Are they more aware of what it takes to build a balanced lineup?
9 - Buy in. Do they get it now? Is there more to the game than skill and the individual pcs that make up the whole?
10 - A winning mindset. Not giving up - knowing (and showing) that they can win any game when they play to their potential and stick to the plan - consistency - and all the points above.

How do you guys see the above points (or other things that I missed, and you haven't) impacting this team and what points do you see as the most impactful (or less)?

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah I could see Pavelski for sure. On his 2nd goal after the Jets win the the faceoff and the puck is going to the DeMelo notice how he subtly lifts the stick of the winger attempting to take DeMelo... buys DeMelo those extra milliseconds to make a better play than he would have otherwise [COL 1-(4) WPG] Gabriel Vilardi with some good net front presence to make it 4-1 for the Jets. Winnipeg responds just 1:33 after Colorado scored.

I had no idea his hands were this good prior to the trade.

I watched allot of him predraft in the memorial cup and I loved that he was a bit of a throw back low post player. I loved how he played on the walls and in front of the net. The issue with him in his draft year was his skating and it’s nice watching him now to see that isn’t an issue. He has great hands and is smart but he is also capable of being effective off the rush. Bones made a good point too when he said Vilardi has great patience with the puck. We have to remember he was drafted #11 but he was usually ranked in the top 6 most of that season so he has pedigree. Gabe is a beauty he just needs to stay healthy.

That top line has a very good blend with Ehlers killing teams with Speed, Scheif is so gifted offensively (how about that first assist last night to Gabe), then you have Vilardi who plays the walls with Schief and as you said can get the greasy stuff net front. Very nice 1-2-3 blend of skill sets.

Last edited:

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
It's demeanour mirrors the team's--I can't say for sure what has happened to him--or them--but it's awesome to behold ( I have a unifying theory, but it shall remain unmentioned).
How can you not mention it? This is a board on which you can share anything; that's why we remain anonymous. What's the theory?

We can sigh with awe it you're brilliant or we can chortle cruelly if you're as dumb as the rest of us, but the embarrassment ends as soon as you logoff. That's the joy of being anonymous. Please share with us!

None

Feb 22, 2012
How is that Cranberry Stout? I’ve thought about getting it before, but I haven’t yet.

It was just alright, nothing incredibly interesting. I thought if there was cranberry it was pretty much lost in the malt.

There was a nitro stout that my local LC didn't have in stock that I was actually looking for :laugh:

Reactions: snowkiddin

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
It was just alright, nothing incredibly interesting. I thought if there was cranberry it was pretty much lost in the malt.

There was a nitro stout that my local LC didn't have in stock that I was actually looking for :laugh:
At the risk of sounding like some leering old pervert in a beer commercial....

I don't usually drink beer, but when I do it's always Granville Island.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
How can you not mention it? This is a board on which you can share anything; that's why we remain anonymous. What's the theory?

We can sigh with awe it you're brilliant or we can chortle cruelly if you're as dumb as the rest of us, but the embarrassment ends as soon as you logoff. That's the joy of being anonymous. Please share with us!
Lol, that deserves a response, even from an internet under-sharer, like me.

The essence of the unifying theory--which I have disclosed in bits previously--is that TNSE's principles have undermined its product. They are known to be loyal to a fault and respectful of rank; because of that, I believe that Wheeler was allowed to stay on as Captain at least two seasons too long and it affected relationships and decisions on and off the ice.
Now that they have a unified team under a better leadership group they are thriving. Scheifele in particular looks like a different man, as I believe he was caught (as the favourite child) in the middle and had know idea how to deal with it.
There is more, but I am not at liberty to elaborate without divulging state secrets. I would then have to kill myself or, worse, move to Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad