Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Connor Scheifele Vilardi
Ehlers. Namestnikov. Niedereiter
Iafalo. Lowry. Appleton
Perfetti. Gus Barron

*when KFC returns.
Although there is likely to be an injury or two by then.
Ehlers-Scheifele-Vilardi is such a well constructed line...very complementary strengths and have looked really dominant against two top teams in LA and Colorado. We'll see how it goes over the next 6-8 weeks. I think Connor-Namestnikov-Niederreiter might have enough offensive and defensive power to get Connor on the right side of the GF/GA balance sheet at evens.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Lol, that deserves a response, even from an internet under-sharer, like me.

The essence of the unifying theory--which I have disclosed in bits previously--is that TNSE's principles have undermined its product. They are known to be loyal to a fault and respectful of rank; because of that, I believe that Wheeler was allowed to stay on as Captain at least two seasons too long and it affected relationships and decisions on and off the ice.
Now that they have a unified team under a better leadership group they are thriving. Scheifele in particular looks like a different man, as I believe he was caught (as the favourite child) in the middle and had know idea how to deal with it.
There is more, but I am not at liberty to elaborate without divulging state secrets. I would then have to kill myself or, worse, move to Vancouver.
Ding ding ding..
Wheeler and Scheifele had undeniable chemistry ON the ice.
The whole team seems rejuvenated since Wheeler and PLD have left.
Heck even this board does.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I noticed one site posting attendance at 13,500 (accurate?) - anyways, we're getting there.
I’d have though it higher based on what I saw at the game. Not a sellout, upper deck last rows in 313-315 had empty seats for sure and I imagine that was true for upper sections I couldn’t see. But if som one said attendance was 14500-15000 it would have been believable. Couldn’t see any empty seats in lower bowl from where I sit.

Also Saturday crowd>>>Tuesday crowd. Duh.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Best chance for a sell out will come tomorrow night against Habs an later this week against the Bruins.
It might get close, but the one thing working against a sellout is I know a lot of season ticket holders now put the original 6 team games up for sale to offset costs as those are the only games where they know they can sell the tickets to fans of the various original 6 teams.

None

Feb 22, 2012
At the risk of sounding like some leering old pervert in a beer commercial....

I don't usually drink beer, but when I do it's always Granville Island.

They had an excellent small batch peach kettle sour (think alcoholic kombucha :laugh: ) and an American IPA in the style of (mildly famous) Pliny the Elder beer from a brewery that's basically impossible to get out of California named Russian River Brewing. I like Granville Island quite a bit.

Reactions: Heldig

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Lol, that deserves a response, even from an internet under-sharer, like me.

The essence of the unifying theory--which I have disclosed in bits previously--is that TNSE's principles have undermined its product. They are known to be loyal to a fault and respectful of rank; because of that, I believe that Wheeler was allowed to stay on as Captain at least two seasons too long and it affected relationships and decisions on and off the ice.
Now that they have a unified team under a better leadership group they are thriving. Scheifele in particular looks like a different man, as I believe he was caught (as the favourite child) in the middle and had know idea how to deal with it.
There is more, but I am not at liberty to elaborate without divulging state secrets. I would then have to kill myself or, worse, move to Vancouver.
Now, don't you feel better for sharing?

I agree with your theory, about Wheeler and probably Maurice, and there's certainly evidence that the team is now on fire partly because of their and Dubois' absence. Being a middle child myself, and the least favourite, I can relate. As for state secrets, everyone knows that I blab far too much so I'd never get within a sixty bucks cab ride of any secret, state or otherwise. And in the spirit of Christmas, I'm willing to overlook your misguided characterization of my home town.

And I loved your post.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Have you been to the Guinness factory in Ireland ? Wow is all i can say. And i got my perfect pour certificate. :laugh:
No, but I would love to. Been on my bucket list now for some time, espy since several friends have gone to St. James Gate themsleves. Looks like that ship has sailed for me now. Each time we'd go back to England or Scotland we'd savour ffresh Guinness and fall in love with it all over again.

Reactions: Jets 31

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
At the risk of sounding like some leering old pervert in a beer commercial....

I don't usually drink beer, but when I do it's always Granville Island.
The man oozed the charm and class and confidence that comes with a mature understanding of life.

Granville Island is a brewery with about a dozen products. Which was your beer?

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
The man oozed the charm and class and confidence that comes with a mature understanding of life.

Granville Island is a brewery with about a dozen products. Which was your beer?
Well he oozed something, we can agree on that.

My beer was Granville Island's Island Lager. You go into a bar anywhere in BC and order an Island and they know what you want.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Well he oozed something, we can agree on that.

My beer was Granville Island's Island Lager. You go into a bar anywhere in BC and order an Island and they know what you want.

This got graphic quick..

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Even if PLD was pacing for, say 60.....this trade is still. a fine deal from Chevy.......

PS..... Recieved a message informing me of some kind of award. I trust a monetary package will be en route, soon.....
Ethiopians are very generous on the internet

Reactions: hockeyarena

Cotton Eye Joe

Oct 8, 2023
Ehlers-Scheifele-Vilardi is such a well constructed line...very complementary strengths and have looked really dominant against two top teams in LA and Colorado. We'll see how it goes over the next 6-8 weeks. I think Connor-Namestnikov-Niederreiter might have enough offensive and defensive power to get Connor on the right side of the GF/GA balance sheet at evens.
Well put.

Reactions: Stumbledore

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
All this talk of fancy beer; I was drinking Coors light last night lol
Was drinking Devil May Care products pre- and post-game last night at their shop. Quite clever with their beer names which I enjoyed. Resting Grinch Face struck a chord for some reason. Came home with some Perfektenschlag.

Speaking of Granville Island brewing I first discovered them way back in 1986, when my sister first moved to Vangroovy. She lived at 3rd and Yew so not a long walk at all. Still have a soft spot for them but they were definitely near the front of the craft beer curve.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
They had an excellent small batch peach kettle sour (think alcoholic kombucha :laugh: ) and an American IPA in the style of (mildly famous) Pliny the Elder beer from a brewery that's basically impossible to get out of California named Russian River Brewing. I like Granville Island quite a bit.
You beer types make it out to Vancouver and I will show you a couple dozen breweries that make better beer than Granville Island. Its better than it used to be but as the youngins say, its mid.

Reactions: Stumbledore

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So I'm sittin' around in my jammies on this fine Sunday afternoon, thinking about what is going on with this Jets team.
I've missed a couple of games lately due to all things that take up your time during the holiday season - but I haven't missed what is going on with this Jets team. They look pretty good.

So, I though I'd ask what the Jets fan base think is driving the new Jets bus - what's going on?

My thoughts (in no particular order)?
1 - Coaching - and it's not complicated. We are playing a 200 ft game that requires a lot of work, buy in, and a consistent approach to how we play.
2 - Leadership - Lowry / Scheif / JoMo - they seem to have this group all pointing in the same direction.
3 - Speaking of 55, he is not the same player - who stole 55 and replaced him with whoever is out there now wearing his jersey - kidding aside, the guy is playing his best hockey (arguable) right now.
4 - New additions - we've added some nice pcs - and they all fit. Almost like the players added where as part of a well thought out process in order to support how we are now playing (see #1).
5 - Those that have departed - how much impact did that have? Once can only guess (I guess) but I suspect this point is more impactful than we might think.
6 - The room - well, the guys have always stated that they are a tight knit bunch - but was that really true - and is this what a tight group really looks like? I think it's supper impactful when it's true.
7 - Growth - are the players better now? Or are they simply better prepared, better coached, more focused, more confident, all the above?
8 - Is the org beginning to figure things out? Are they more aware of what it takes to build a balanced lineup?
9 - Buy in. Do they get it now? Is there more to the game than skill and the individual pcs that make up the whole?
10 - A winning mindset. Not giving up - knowing (and showing) that they can win any game when they play to their potential and stick to the plan - consistency - and all the points above.

How do you guys see the above points (or other things that I missed, and you haven't) impacting this team and what points do you see as the most impactful (or less)?

I think our management is evolving just like the league is evolving. It's a copycat league so you see them trying to copy successful trends. Leading up to 17-18, skilled high octane offenses was what was winning the cups (Hawks and Pens) so you got the org building a high octane offensive team in 17-18 that was arguably the best team in the league that year but just didn't quite get it done in the playoffs. They tried again with that approach the year after and whether it was injuries or something in the room, things just went arry.

After that year our defense got decimated and we had to rebuild it. We weren't able to get it done with some skeleton dcores and the league also changed. Deep teams without a tonne of star power like Vegas and the Canes were routinely going deep, the Blues won a cup, and the very deep Lightning (albeit with franchise talent as well) won b2b cups. So the model changed and the Jets have adopted that model.

I think it takes time to fundamentally shift the philosophy of a team and Maurice wasn't up to the task.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Pliny is a great beer.

Granville Island is a fine brewery. They keg waaay more beers than they sell in liquor stores.

Reactions: None

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think our management is evolving just like the league is evolving. It's a copycat league so you see them trying to copy successful trends. Leading up to 17-18, skilled high octane offenses was what was winning the cups (Hawks and Pens) so you got the org building a high octane offensive team in 17-18 that was arguably the best team in the league that year but just didn't quite get it done in the playoffs. They tried again with that approach the year after and whether it was injuries or something in the room, things just went arry.

After that year our defense got decimated and we had to rebuild it. We weren't able to get it done with some skeleton dcores and the league also changed. Deep teams without a tonne of star power like Vegas and the Canes were routinely going deep, the Blues won a cup, and the very deep Lightning (albeit with franchise talent as well) won b2b cups. So the model changed and the Jets have adopted that model.

I think it takes time to fundamentally shift the philosophy of a team and Maurice wasn't up to the task.
I agree - it does take time - especially if you are shifting away from a skill model to a more defensive structure.
IMO, Maurice never had a chance with that shift in thinking - and it's likely why he quite.
And although he didn't implement anything, he did plant the seed - he wanted a more aggressive 2 way game but couldn't convince the main guys.
Last yr was the real learning curve though - that's where we started seeing the shift (although inconsistently).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree - it does take time - especially if you are shifting away from a skill model to a more defensive structure.
IMO, Maurice never had a chance with that shift in thinking - and it's likely why he quite.
And although he didn't implement anything, he did plant the seed - he wanted a more aggressive 2 way game but couldn't convince the main guys.
Last yr was the real learning curve though - that's where we started seeing the shift (although inconsistently).

I think when you shift thinking you pretty much have to change the coach. It's hard to preach something for years and then switch gears to something different.

Reactions: LowLefty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad