Post-Game Talk: Jets 6 - Avs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Was drinking Devil May Care products pre- and post-game last night at their shop. Quite clever with their beer names which I enjoyed. Resting Grinch Face struck a chord for some reason. Came home with some Perfektenschlag.
They need to work on their processes IMO. First time I tried P-schlag I thought it was quite good. Next time I picked it up... nasty, sour shite. Either a bad batch or a good batch went bad on the shelf. Either way, I now approach their beers with trepidation.

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
Well he oozed something, we can agree on that.

My beer was Granville Island's Island Lager. You go into a bar anywhere in BC and order an Island and they know what you want.
I grew rather found of Granville Island Lager and, to a slightly lesser extent, English Bay Pale Ale when my parents and sister were living on the lower mainland back in the 90s.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Pliny is a great beer.

Granville Island is a fine brewery. They keg waaay more beers than they sell in liquor stores.

For sure, like Half Pints and Fort Garry in Winnipeg they've been in business before the laws had caught up and helped carve out business opportunities for small breweries. It's a little unfortunate that we don't get a lot of interprovincial small batch beers anymore but our local breweries do pump out a lot to fill demand. Two of the biggest new(ish) names locally in Trans Canada and Farmery both have pretty impressive backing. Farmery is pretty boring but their target mass market appeal rather than niche, I don't think I'll ever get over their "buy local" branding before they were even made in Manitoba though :laugh:

I do wish Russian River sold further than the walls of their taproom and a few BevMo's :laugh:
I've personally only ever had the chance to try Pliny the Elder. Hopefully I get a chance to try the Younger at some point.

None

Feb 22, 2012
You beer types make it out to Vancouver and I will show you a couple dozen breweries that make better beer than Granville Island. Its better than it used to be but as the youngins say, its mid.

I don't disagree, they definitely go for mass market appeal. They do show their chops with smaller releases that aren't always commercially available outside of their local distribution though.
My favourites locally in Winnipeg are mostly from Half Pints. I love Black Galaxy, a black IPA.

Reactions: Stumbledore

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
I don't disagree, they definitely go for mass market appeal. They do show their chops with smaller releases that aren't always commercially available outside of their local distribution though.
My favourites locally in Winnipeg are mostly from Half Pints. I love Black Galaxy, a black IPA.
Been to Hal Pints, It was okay, nothing wrong with their beer. Last time I was in Winnipeg I thought OGC(?) IPA was excellent. And I had something really good at torque.
I get my yearly care package and some good ones the last couple of years from Sookrams.
If you are drinking “mass market” or higher volume stuff in BC, Steamworks, Red Truck, Phillips, Fernie, or Yellow Dog are usually better bets than Granville Island.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Been to Hal Pints, It was okay, nothing wrong with their beer. Last time I was in Winnipeg I thought OGC(?) IPA was excellent. And I had something really good at torque.
I get my yearly care package and some good ones the last couple of years from Sookrams.
If you are drinking “mass market” or higher volume stuff in BC, Steamworks, Red Truck, Phillips, Fernie, or Yellow Dog are usually better bets than Granville Island.

Yeah, I like Phillips and Tree Brewing out in BC. Tree Brewing has a solid imperial IPA that used to be pretty consistently fresh bottles in Manitoba. Phillips branding is on point, I also enjoy their soda but it's only for sale in Save on Foods here. The root beer is incredible.

Central City is my go to from BC though, Red Racer IPA is really drinkable for as strong as it is. One of the few breweries that doesn't obfuscate the canning/bottling date.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Yeah, I like Phillips and Tree Brewing out in BC. Tree Brewing has a solid imperial IPA that used to be pretty consistently fresh bottles in Manitoba. Phillips branding is on point, I also enjoy their soda but it's only for sale in Save on Foods here. The root beer is incredible.

Central City is my go to from BC though, Red Racer IPA is really drinkable for as strong as it is. One of the few breweries that doesn't obfuscate the canning/bottling date.
I was going to include Central City, but since covid and them shutting down the brew pub in Surrey, their beer is a lot harder to find. That isa is an excellent summer brew.

Reactions: None
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest