Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Lovely stuff.

My thoughts ->

I am traveling and missed that game, just catching up now.

I will give the Yotes a lot of credit their passing is sharp, not sure how this team loses 12 in a row. They are playing better than their record reflects, but thats hockey, yes?

Love the two points, love Schuffes first goal. The Dogs first one was tough to take - some broken D.

Banking points at this time of year is awesome, such a nice turnaround from last year!

KFC is finding his scoring mojo, he is money when the game is on the line.

Vilardi's goal was magical, that guy is delivering as promised. Such a cute little backhand.

My apologies @Jet for the missed Sawyer interview parodies.. if anyone can find one of his interviews, please post it somewhere and I will watch and skewer is as tradition and required.

Where are you traveling to?

Reactions: kanadalainen

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Hallandale Beach, FLA - caught up with my fam, already there. Turning off the engines for 6 days or so. Yesterday my most challenging task was to finish my Mahi sandwich, put on my flip flops and go fetch drinks for our crew at at place called "The Mermaid Queen". :laugh::laugh:
Sounds amazing!

Reactions: kanadalainen

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Sounds amazing!
Its a lovely place.
hallandale.jpg
This is outside the kitchen, looking down on the golf course. :)

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hallandale Beach, FLA - caught up with my fam, already there. Turning off the engines for 6 days or so. Yesterday my most challenging task was to finish my Mahi sandwich, put on my flip flops and go fetch drinks for our crew at at place called "The Mermaid Queen". :laugh::laugh:

What... ?

No Coelecanth sandwich...

Pfffft...

:laugh:

Enjoy...

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I'm saying that the team/org/coaching seems too attached to certain lineup configurations and persists with them even when the results aren't there, as if they've for some reason decided that they're a good idea before seeing how they actually function on the ice.
Maybe they've seen them actually functioning on the ice at practices, games, film breakdowns, scouting, etc. and base their decisions on the fact that they are coaches in the finest hockey league in the world?

Just a possibility...

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
As an aside, today was stressful...

My youngest daughter's U15 AA game went into OT today and they won (over 8 minutes of 3 vs 3)

My oldest daughter's USport game went into double OT and they won

Both were facing elimination

Jets also win in OT
Raising daughters is always stressful. We have 3 of them. Raising daughters who are also achievers and introduce you to new people and new experiences is priceless.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Raising daughters is always stressful. We have 3 of them. Raising daughters who are also achievers and introduce you to new people and new experiences is priceless.
But the biggest achievement is that they are good people.

Maybe they've seen them actually functioning on the ice at practices, games, film breakdowns, scouting, etc. and base their decisions on the fact that they are coaches in the finest hockey league in the world?

Just a possibility...
I mean coaches definitely have their biases and are less risk adverse than fans. Like sending lowry’s line out with a minute left and being content going for ot than trying to win.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Make us a booking damnit.
Its a challenging little bastard (the course, not me) with a ton of water and sand traps. Ineffectual duffers like myself are cannon fodder and die by the dozen in this place. Rather like a cloud of schooling krill dressed in gaudy polyester slacks and goofy turquoise T-shirts getting gobbled up by the metric tonne by some random leviathan (the course itself). One needs to be laconic, stoic, serene - looking for the baby steps. Smash a drive and track its course, silvery disc flattered by the deep blue bowl of sky, then the lilt of apex, gentle fall and wait for the satisfying fountain of a 6 dollar ball into the brackish deep. :)

FoHE5yc.gif

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That's fine he can suck a big one :laugh: not much he can do until Perfetti hits free agency. I don't agree with it but I half expect Jets to bring in Nyquist and send Perfetti down for a playoff run with the Moose to build his confidence.
nyquist is a real specific player :laugh:. i did like Vatrano a lot previously, but if he's moved i think he may end up going for a 1st now given his season, & his contract at a pretty low cap-hit next year. Nyquist (& my opinion on him is mostly from his Detroit days) is a pretty soft player like KC where i think the team could use a bit more bite & physicality in the top-6, along to go w/ scoring which Vatrano seems to bring.

but yea, if they bring in a top-6/9er it'd likely be him that's out of the line-up. i can't see him getting high minutes in key PO games with the way it has been trending.

id be remiss to point out through mid-Jan this team was top-5 in 5v5 goals, and top-10 in all-strengths goals per TOI. they're now 17th & 18th. i believe they need to regain some of the consistency in the top-9 from early in the year to make noise in the POs & that was without all these additions. Vilardi has been a menace on the PP and has helped turned that around. outside of that their 5v5 play leaves a lot to be desired, especially given where they were through the first ~40ish games of the year.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Its a challenging little bastard (the course, not me) with a ton of water and sand traps. Ineffectual duffers like myself are cannon fodder and die by the dozen in this place. Rather like a cloud of schooling krill dressed in gaudy polyester slacks and goofy turquoise T-shirts getting gobbled up by the metric tonne by some random leviathan (the course itself). One needs to be laconic, stoic, serene - looking for the baby steps. Smash a drive and track its course, silvery disc flattered by the deep blue bowl of sky, then the lilt of apex, gentle fall and wait for the satisfying fountain of a 6 dollar ball into the brackish deep. :)

FoHE5yc.gif
Sounds like you need more beers on the course

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Its a lovely place. View attachment 825459This is outside the kitchen, looking down on the golf course. :)
So I spent 10 minutes scraping snow and ice off my car, drove to campus, opened up my laptop to this charming photograph and also a notice that tomorrow it will be -28C in Winnipeg.

And to think that I used to enjoy @kanadalainen .....

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

"When they got hemmed in, it's not just the 3 forwards, it's 5 of them out there."

To some extent - Morrissey and DeMelo had a pretty bad game...but mostly because of the time they spent on the ice with the top line.

"...but you could tell that they were creating..."

Uh...I don't know what game Bones was watching, but CSV were creating f***-all at 5v5. Giving up a lot, but not really dangerous outside a couple of rushes. They were outshot 12-7, put up a paltry 1.19 xGF/60 while giving up a shitawful 4.55 xGA/60. Without CSV on the ice, the Jets other lines had 2.06 xGF/60 and 2.22 xGA/60. Not great, but an improvement. The top line gave up almost as much xGA in 16 minutes as the rest of the team 35 minutes of 5v5 TOI. And this is with home ice Bones line matching?

Also, Bones thought the team didn't give up much in Chicago the other night? It wasn't one of their better defensive performances...although it was quite a bit better than the Wild and Canucks games.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
"When they got hemmed in, it's not just the 3 forwards, it's 5 of them out there."

To some extent - Morrissey and DeMelo had a pretty bad game...but mostly because of the time they spent on the ice with the top line.

"...but you could tell that they were creating..."

Uh...I don't know what game Bones was watching, but CSV were creating f***-all at 5v5. Giving up a lot, but not really dangerous outside a couple of rushes. They were outshot 12-7, put up a paltry 1.19 xGF/60 while giving up a shitawful 4.55 xGA/60. Without CSV on the ice, the Jets other lines had 2.06 xGF/60 and 2.22 xGA/60. Not great, but an improvement. The top line gave up almost as much xGA in 16 minutes as the rest of the team 35 minutes of 5v5 TOI. And this is with home ice Bones line matching?

Also, Bones thought the team didn't give up much in Chicago the other night? It wasn't one of their better defensive performances...although it was quite a bit better than the Wild and Canucks games.
this the same guy that categorized GF vs GA as an analytics. he's probably referring to the PP when creating & scoring, which i don't think is the area where many are arguing a change.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Picking up the points is big and keeps positive momentum flowing and avoids the slip from last year. The PP turning around is also huge and has kept us above water lately.

That being said, there are some worrying trends. Top line is just not good together at 5v5. Iafallo constantly getting moved up the lineup despite his stone hands. Team barely outplaying the dregs of the league.

We know this team is capable of playing good hockey. Need to play like the team from Dec/Jan and get back to a tight structured game. We have seen the poor 5v5 try to capitalize on their chances Jets many times over the years and it never goes far.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
At this point, I think its pretty clear that Scheif wants to play with Connor and every coach just has to deal with that...

This is pretty similar to last year where Scheif played a great two way game and then got lazy/drifted from the system around this time... hope its just a blip this year but I'd say its almost two months since the team has really played Bones system the way they were...

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
this the same guy that categorized GF vs GA as an analytics. he's probably referring to the PP when creating & scoring, which i don't think is the area where many are arguing a change.
I think it's fair to refer to any numbers that aren't what the eye sees as analytics.

Where the coach and others get confused is by calling them "advanced"--some of them are very basic and undeniable, like 5v5 goals for and against, for a player and line. When there is a decent body of work showing a problem in a reliable, descriptive and predictive area, and the coach does not respond to that, it's a concern.

Also, educated fans that point this out aren't worse fans; most are trying to be constructive.

Here's a question--if you had a successful friend who was drinking or gambling too much, what would you say to her?

A) "You are very successful but I'm worried your personal habits are going to get you in trouble".
B) "You are perfect the way you are"
C) Say nothing--it's none of your business and this person is soooo smart in life otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad