Post-Game Talk: Jets 4- Yotes 3 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maybe they've seen them actually functioning on the ice at practices, games, film breakdowns, scouting, etc. and base their decisions on the fact that they are coaches in the finest hockey league in the world?

Just a possibility...

So ......... they can do no wrong? OK, good to know. :sarcasm:

Reactions: hn777

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
In funner news, according to Moneypuck.com, the difference between #1 and #2 in goals saved above expected is roughly as big as the difference between #2 and #7. The difference between #1 and #3 is as big as the difference between #3 and #19, some poor chap named Jet Greaves who played in 2 games in which he allowed 5 goals on 12.1 expected goals.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Wow, do you remember every stupid thing I've done and then shared with you?

I brushed a light layer of snow off the window, then scraped the ice underneath, all without hitting myself with any implements nor skidding on the icy patch behind the car. Got to campus safely, negotiated my first cup of coffee without spilling anything, and tackled today's edits with enthusiasm and grace.

It was an okay Monday until I discovered @kanadalainen's photos from Florida and, while grumbling about that, discovered a large, light stain on the leggings that I thought were clean when I pulled them on.

Now I'm wasting one of my afternoon breaks by revealing just how boring my life really is.

No estoy sorprendida...
I am always happy to make it to work with clean clothes, uninjured and remembering to have put on pants.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

so what has fundamentally changed from lowry/his line's 200 ft game in relation to scoring vs now? what specifics in scheifele's and his line's game has changed from them to basically breaking even in the GF vs GA department as opposed to him out scoring the opposition pretty handedly?
What has changed? Looks like their is less of a 5v5 game plan in play and more of an emphasis on offense -
I'm referring to the top line - Lowry never changes.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What has changed? Looks like their is less of a 5v5 game plan in play and more of an emphasis on offense -
I'm referring to the top line - Lowry never changes.
you might want to check or compare the goal-scoring and goals-against at the first couple months of the season, vs the months following them.

Reactions: hn777

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
you might want to check or compare the goal-scoring and goals-against at the first couple months of the season, vs the months following them.
I haven't checked - I was assuming and probably shouldn't have.
I'm hearing a lot lately about how the top line with 27 was killing it - and once 81 arrived, it went completely in the ditch.
I think the topic was mostly around 5v5 -

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I haven't checked - I was assuming and probably shouldn't have.
I'm hearing a lot lately about how the top line with 27 was killing it - and once 81 arrived, it went completely in the ditch.
I think the topic was mostly around 5v5 -

they're even at goal-differential. in the first part of the year, the Connor-Scheifele-Iafallo line was also even in goal-differential, but one of the differences was that Lowry and his line were producing & out-scoring the opposition at a high rate - that has dried up completely now.

Namestnikov and his line were producing & out-scoring the opposition at a high rate too, and the team has not had had that same consistency either from their other line since Dec really.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
KC is the only legit game breaker that Jets have now.

Lets cherries it while we have one like him.
These type of players value is very hard to measure because they come through when it matters the most.

oh the Jets won?

GO Jets Go
Vegas does ok without "game breakers"

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Guaranteeing a point and going for it in OT is definitely the right coaching call risk adverse or not. Arizona is no longer any real competition for a playoff spot so their point is meaningless. Gaining a single point in loses is advantageous in the position we are having banked a lot of points to date. And we have proven to be a very good 3 on 3 team over the last couple years with a goalie with a history of being very good against high danger chances. Playing for OT should be a no brainer for any competent coach in Bones situation.

When it gets close to full time, yes.

Reactions: Slimy Sculpin

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
nyquist is a real specific player :laugh:. i did like Vatrano a lot previously, but if he's moved i think he may end up going for a 1st now given his season, & his contract at a pretty low cap-hit next year. Nyquist (& my opinion on him is mostly from his Detroit days) is a pretty soft player like KC where i think the team could use a bit more bite & physicality in the top-6, along to go w/ scoring which Vatrano seems to bring.

but yea, if they bring in a top-6/9er it'd likely be him that's out of the line-up. i can't see him getting high minutes in key PO games with the way it has been trending.

id be remiss to point out through mid-Jan this team was top-5 in 5v5 goals, and top-10 in all-strengths goals per TOI. they're now 17th & 18th. i believe they need to regain some of the consistency in the top-9 from early in the year to make noise in the POs & that was without all these additions. Vilardi has been a menace on the PP and has helped turned that around. outside of that their 5v5 play leaves a lot to be desired, especially given where they were through the first ~40ish games of the year.
It's just a hunch :laugh:

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Preds have won 5 straight and are fighting for a WC spot, if they keep winning I think they may add not subtract. I like Vatrano a lot just the player the Jets need but I don't think we have the trade capital that the Ducks would want.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This is what I'm saying. Just to be clear Jack, I'm not making the argument that he HAS to be on the top line, but I think it's high time it gets some praise for producing with whichever center he's playing with. The Jets might be 1st in Goals Against, but are 20th in Goals For, and despite Connor missing all of that time, he's still leading the team in goals scored.

I was of the mindset that Perfetti at center (earlier on in the year) with Connor and (especially) a PF - who does the dirty work irrespective as to whether or not he puts up big numbers - would have kept the first two lines more balanced. I even think KFC would be better analytically, while still producing (raw stats) at pretty much the same pace as he is now, if he played 18 minutes per game as opposed to 20. Law of diminishing returns, and you're going to run into the problem of being too taxed once the playoffs start. Honestly, I think Connor's sweet spot is 18 minutes a night.

I'm not hiding KFC's defensive limitations, but I rarely think he and Scheifele work well off of each other in the defensive zone. I don't think PLD is a particularly good 2-way player, more like a bull when he's engaged, but he and Connor were trending in the right direction together through the first half of last season. At one point KFC finally had his career +/- up to +1 for a hot second, and was roughly +8 to +10 on the year at that time, and then went in the toilet soon after they added another scorer (swapping out a plugger) halfway through the season.

I'd also like to point out that Dallas is 3rd overall (as of yesterday) in Goals For, only Robertson plays 18 minutes per game, while 5 of the next 6 forwards are averaging roughly 16 minutes per game or less; all have more than 40 points on the year. We have "1" forward with over 40 points, in Scheifele.

Is the Dallas message board, constantly complaining how most of their top forwards, are only getting 16 minutes a night?

No one is diminishing Kyle Connor's scoring or the positive impact he can bring. Unfortunately due to the nature of these discussions via text without visual and tonal cues it is very easy to construe these discussions as "Connor haters vs Connor fans".

Connor is a great player and an elite scorer in the NHL, some just want to put him in a position to have the maximum positive impact on the team. This team is just one tweak away from fixing their 5v5 and being absolutely unstoppable now that the PP has come around, which is probably the reason for a lot of consternation as the fans can just see the promised land across the horizon. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese