Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Blues 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Let's call a spade a spade here, if this caliber performance was from any of the two none set in stone lines it would have been quickly changed as we have seen throughout the year.

Also if this team is so dependent on needing a line that is hemeraging for 1/3 of each game to maintain balance then we aren't nearly as deep as we think we are.

There are plenty of combos that could be tried to balance things across 3 or 4 lines but Bones only resorts one or two things.
Seems like.dispite the "hemeraging", the patient lives on.... 7-1 in the last 8

I often wonder what an interaction between a fan who posts stuff like this and Boner would look like if the fan were to trot out some non-proprietary, basic advanced stat available free online to an NHL coach with 40 years of experience and access to their own contracted stat person/department about his player usage/deployment

I sense there's be an amused grin on his face, a sparkle in his eye and a subtle yet slightly condescending quip on his behalf

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

Iafallo seems to be very well liked.

Check out Ehlers reaction on this one:

Winnipeg 5th in the NHL and games in hand on all 4 teams ahead of us that if we win those games in hand puts us ahead of all of them.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 7.06.26 AM.png

The Jets continue to flirt with the best in the league.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Perfetti was a positive factor tonight. Could have had 3 points tonight if Nino could have finished either time or Vlad scored on the breakaway created by the forecheck. Given 10 mins of ice that was a positive game
Yup, after a string of games where he was invisible, we're starting to see a string of games where he's effective and creating. It's only a matter of time before he starts getting rewarded.

I actually don't mind him staying on the 4th line for a while, especially if that Monahan line keeps generating with Iafallo on it.

That's going to be tough for teams to matchup against.

Pretty weird we have perhaps the best goaltender in the league, and if we had to use our backup in the playoffs, I wouldn't totally freak out.
Having the best starting and backup goalie in the league almost doesn't seem fair.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I am very curious just how long a defensive minded coach like Bones will be able to stomach the top lines play in its end. As a line they are sporting a terrible 35 XGF% and are getting out high dangered chanced by a 2 to 1 margin. They won't continue to convert on 14% of their shots. As is they are barely scraping by in the goal differential department, currently 1 over break even.
I honestly think the key here is Vilardi.

He was banged up and I think it showed - last night he looked faster and he was way more physical.

A guy strong along the wall in our zone winning puck battles might be what that line needs to start preventing getting hemmed in which is mostly where I see them losing the 5v5 battle.

I don't think ehlers is the answer there. Maybe Niederraiter on 1, vilardi on 2 and iafallo on 3?

Reactions: robertocarlos

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just got back from the game and have a few notes. There is no life in the building, not like it was when the Jets came back. Big shout out to Section 312 for trying their best to get things going! They were shouting GO JETS GO all night and even tried to get the wave started! You guys (and gals) rock! The elderly lady beside me reminded me of my mother by her reaction to the game play, other than the swearing. My goodness, she would have made a sailor blush! The person on the other side of me was pretty much two-fisting beers all night, and playing air guitar during the stoppages in play. Glad I brought my noise cancelling earphones, made all the difference in the world with the loud music and such. Guy in the Loge seat in front of me kept getting up and taking forever to move, blocking the game. The guy beside me finally had enough and they had some choice words to say to each other. Oh, and there was a hockey game as well, which was just okay in my books. I give it only three "potty mouths" out of five...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

The Prediction Contest for the game against the Dullest Stars has been posted with updated totals. What's this...

giphy.gif

That's right folks, another game, two more trifectas! Congratulations to @Jetland162702 and @10Ducky10 for picking the correct team to win, the correct game score, and the correct opening goal scorer! Way to go!

Thursday night's game is available if anyone would like to make a GDT for it. Just sign up and it is yours! See you all on Thursday! Good night...

giphy.gif
Last Tuesday's game was very loud and the place was rocking, wave was going etc. It was definitely quieter last night, I think everyone's brain was a bit frozen (not used to actual winter weather haha)

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I honestly think the key here is Vilardi.

He was banged up and I think it showed - last night he looked faster and he was way more physical.

A guy strong along the wall in our zone winning puck battles might be what that line needs to start preventing getting hemmed in which is mostly where I see them losing the 5v5 battle.

I don't think ehlers is the answer there. Maybe Niederraiter on 1, vilardi on 2 and iafallo on 3?
All good ideas but i think Vilardi, Monahan and Iafallo might be a bit slow of a line. I really liked Monahan, Ehlers and Iafallo last night, they seem to be starting to click.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yup, after a string of games where he was invisible, we're starting to see a string of games where he's effective and creating. It's only a matter of time before he starts getting rewarded.

I actually don't mind him staying on the 4th line for a while, especially if that Monahan line keeps generating with Iafallo on it.

That's going to be tough for teams to matchup against.

Having the best starting and backup goalie in the league almost doesn't seem fair.

The second line needs a digger because they don't generate as much speed through the nz with Sean as they did with Namestnikov. As a result there are more puck battles for possesion off the forecheck and that is where a guy like Iafallo is better then Cole. It allows the line to setup.

I would like to see something done to get a finisher for line 4 as imo if we did we could take some minutes from line 1 and spread it out more evenly and create a 2018 situation with elite depth and 4 lines that can hurt you. Or they could switch Barron and Nino as Nino despite poor finishing today seems to read well off of Cole and is able to get open in the slot.

Reactions: Jack7222 and hn777

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
The second line needs a digger because they don't generate as much speed through the nz with Sean as they did with Namestnikov. As a result there are more puck battles for possesion off the forecheck and that is where a guy like Iafallo is better then Cole. It allows the line to setup.

I would like to see something done to get a finisher for line 4 as imo if we did we could take some minutes from line 1 and spread it out more evenly and create a 2018 situation with elite depth and 4 lines that can hurt you. Or they could switch Barron and Nino as Nino despite poor finishing today seems to read well off of Cole and is able to get open in the slot.

I had originally thought it would be good to get another winger to play with Monahan and Ehlers, but they are playing amazing with Iafallo. Small sample of course.

I wonder if someone like Tarasenko with Perfetti and Namestnikov would fit? It gives you tons of options, to shuffle the lines if needed.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I had originally thought it would be good to get another winger to play with Monahan and Ehlers, but they are playing amazing with Iafallo. Small sample of course.

I wonder if someone like Tarasenko with Perfetti and Namestnikov would fit? It gives you tons of options, to shuffle the lines if needed.

Never thought about him but yeah he could work and help out with creating a more lethal pp 2

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I have no idea what Chevy may or may not do before the deadline but the ask for some of these rentals is sounding a little crazy even more so for guys with term.
Ya i would love another decent defenseman to start ahead of Schmidt and Stanley but i think the prices might be too high . Thankfully Chevy never gave up a tonne for Monahan though so it does give us some wiggle room.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I have no idea what Chevy may or may not do before the deadline but the ask for some of these rentals is sounding a little crazy even more so for guys with term.
I'm surprised to hear the reports that nobody has offered a 1st for Chris Tanev.....hard to believe actually. A late first for Tanev is a good deal imo.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
One thing i like about Ehlers on the second line is teams have to put their top checking line against the Scheifele line so there is a good chance Ehlers gets easier competition. That's what depth gets you, harder for the other teams to match up.
That's true, but it would also be true if Ehlers were on the first line and Connor on the second. Connor is an exceptional scorer and might shine 5v5 with a different C against lesser competition. This happened last year when he was paired with PLD.

We will never know how to optimize our lines for the playoffs unless we try different combos for a decent string of games. If not now, when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad