Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Blues 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Anyone remember the trauma Chevy caused this board when he gave up a 1st for Monahan haha....

Havent seen a lot of fire Brad Lauer posts lately either

I mean, most of that uptick on the power play is because Gabriel Vilardi is a f***ing monster down low and in tight. Running the first unit through him instead of Scheifele or Morrissey is a good thing.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
That's true, but it would also be true if Ehlers were on the first line and Connor on the second. Connor is an exceptional scorer and might shine 5v5 with a different C against lesser competition. This happened last year when he was paired with PLD.

We will never know how to optimize our lines for the playoffs unless we try different combos for a decent string of games. If not now, when?
I have said in the past i wouldn't mind Connor on the second line but i don't think you change much if you are winning games and home ice advantage is pretty important in the playoffs. Now if we lose 3, 4 or 5 games in a row absolutely change it up. :thumbu:

Reactions: thereturn

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

I mean, most of that uptick on the power play is because Gabriel Vilardi is a f***ing monster down low and in tight. Running the first unit through him instead of Scheifele or Morrissey is a good thing.

Running the PP thru Vilardi instead of Scheif has helped but its Monahan consistently playing bumper that has changed things... you can see his awareness of the slot and his commitment to staying in it... now we just need that at 5v5

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
#firebradlauer

I think Monahan is coaching the PP now. :sarcasm:
Monahan's been great in the bumper. He's dangerous and the other team has to pay a lot of attention to that threat...which opens things up a bit for everyone else.

The thing is, Scheifele has also been very effective in that spot in the past, so why wasn't he there, you know, in the previous 45 games or whatever?

Anyway, here's Monahan's goals as a Jet so far:

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Since I've never learned how to reply to multiple posts, let me quote these opening phrases and you can verify them later if you wish:

#102 - Raideralex99 writes: "I must be an idiot

#137 - Wpgallday1960 writes: "Call me crazy

#143 - Bustamente writes: "I have no idea

Gradually, I'm beginning to feel a whole lot better about myself this morning!

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Seems like.dispite the "hemeraging", the patient lives on.... 7-1 in the last 8

I often wonder what an interaction between a fan who posts stuff like this and Boner would look like if the fan were to trot out some non-proprietary, basic advanced stat available free online to an NHL coach with 40 years of experience and access to their own contracted stat person/department about his player usage/deployment

I sense there's be an amused grin on his face, a sparkle in his eye and a subtle yet slightly condescending quip on his behalf

I totally think it's is fair to stick with a winning lineup when we are getting results. You don't want a coach that overtinkers with the lineup.

But let's not pretend the sky is green because there is proprietary data out there. The goal results have been positive with this first line. But we don't need proprietary stats to be able to tell its a pretty big red flag. Like really big. Worst defense in the NHL as a line big.

The goal a lot of us here are looking at is what can we do to possibly win a Stanley Cup?

And if we have one or two things where we may be hurting our own chances, that is not good because it is a extremely difficult grind.

I don't think the line needs to be broken up immediately. As has been said, we are winning games with C or B- performances, so why panic? It's the dog days of regular season.

And the longer this goes on, the more and more confident people are going to be that the top line needs to change. Which begs the question, how much time is left to develop chemistry if they do break up the top line?

Does this help explain where some of us are coming from? Or me anyway?

Sounds like Dallas is going after him, they have a pretty good d without him

That fit seems too good to ignore, he is a perfect rental for that team. Will hate if our top six have to play against him.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I totally think it's is fair to stick with a winning lineup when we are getting results. You don't want a coach that overtinkers with the lineup.

But let's not pretend the sky is green because there is proprietary data out there. The goal results have been positive with this first line. But we don't need proprietary stats to be able to tell its a pretty big red flag. Like really big. Worst defense in the NHL as a line big.

The goal a lot of us here are looking at is what can we do to possibly win a Stanley Cup?

And if we have one or two things where we may be hurting our own chances, that is not good because it is a extremely difficult grind.

I don't think the line needs to be broken up immediately. As has been said, we are winning games with C or B- performances, so why panic? It's the dog days of regular season.

And the longer this goes on, the more and more confident people are going to be that the top line needs to change. Which begs the question, how much time is left to develop chemistry if they do break up the top line?

Does this help explain where some of us are coming from? Or me anyway?

That fit seems too good to ignore, he is a perfect rental for that team. Will hate if our top six have to play against him.
Boner seems to value offensive chemistry over defensive chemistry. In other words, if a line is scoring he rarely breaks them up but the blender will come out when the goals aren't going in. Maybe the fact that they have helle back there plays into that.

Also, for the people complaining the top line had a 22.73 xGF% last night, the Monahan line carried a 81.63, the lowry line a 68.35 and the Names line a 62.98.

You had 3 lines dominate in the "pretend stat of the day" and the team won yet some people are still fixated on that one gaddamn line. It really baffles me

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Boner seems to value offensive chemistry over defensive chemistry. In other words, if a line is scoring he rarely breaks them up but the blender will come out when the goals aren't going in. Maybe the fact that they have helle back there plays into that.

Also, for the people complaining the top line had a 22.73 xGF% last night, the Monahan line carried a 81.63, the lowry line a 68.35 and the Names line a 62.98.

You had 3 lines dominate in the "pretend stat of the day" and the team won yet some people are still fixated on that one gaddamn line. It really baffles me
Whenever we win, which is a hell of a lot these day, some advanced stats pickers start going through the numbers to find the one or two things that point to just how much we suck and that we simply can't win like that. It's fun to watch and makes for good discussion here, while we linger near the top of the league pretty much all season long.

The funny thing is the exact opposite would happen for a good stretch under Maurice. We were a middling, bubble team whose objective at times seemed to be to corsi the hell out of others by passing it around the perimeter, back and forth and around, back and forth and around, and then lobbing low chance shots from dumb angles that had no chance of going in. The objective didn't seem to be to score. But man did we 'own' the other guys in all of those losses. Either that, we were 'goalied' while we were shooting wide, into players pads or right into the keepers chest, or flicking floating wristers with no traffic in front, all while piling up the Corsi. LOLOL!!

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Your first paragraph is a solid insight. The stuff at the end just reads as frustration.

Tried to help out with the baffling part in my way before... as you alluded to, 3/4 lines seem to be playing well overall a lot of nights. And the one that isnt is red hot on the PP - which has not been easy for us this year at all.

That's about as far as I feel like I should take this for now.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Your first paragraph is a solid insight. The stuff at the end just reads as frustration.

Tried to help out with the baffling part in my way before... as you alluded to, 3/4 lines seem to be playing well overall a lot of nights. And the one that isnt is red hot on the PP - which has not been easy for us this year at all.

That's about as far as I feel like I should take this for now.
Take it as far as you'd like, IDGAF. In fact, it's so perplexing that I'd love to have more insight into that mindset

To be fair, I'm not referring to you in any way. There are a couple of posters on here that ONLY seem to focus on that fact plus the connor/ehlers line combo issue

At this point it's more of a study of human psychology for me than a discussion on hockey or stats

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

To win the Stanley Cup you need 4 good lines ... I don't ever recall a team winning the Cup with one good line just ask the Oilers or Leafs. Sure they can win you a series but you have to win 16 games and playing your top line 20+ mins/game ... they will run out of gas.
It is funny all these complains about Connor wanting to move him down to the second line when he has 3 straight game winning goals. Oh and Ehlers is scoring on the second line so whats the problem?
If Connor was a good defensive checker he would be on the third line. We all know Connor is not a power forward he is not going to win too many board battles his game is speed and good hands.
Here's a question who is the better goal scorer ... Connor or Ehlers?
Now name me one team that plays their number goal scorer on the second line?

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

IMO, Bones (boner) wants that top line to work - so he's going to let it play out for a bit.
He's not an idiot - and he sees the same numbers (only better) that we do - and he's a defense first coach.

You'd also have to assume that 81/55 want to play together - and they've all had that discussion (coach / players) about expectations, commitment to the game plan, and results that are needed. To assume otherwise is to assume these guys don't know what the hell they are doing - and i don't buy that. Especially when you consider how important the first line is and the impact they have on the jets.

So it's just as easy to assume he is allowing a little more leash than some might be comfortable with - he wants to win but he also wants to allow player input and he wants his stars to be part of the discussion - and happy. Because if you think we're running out of time for this trial and the concern of that impact, think for a moment of the impact that a couple of pissed of star players will have as you play through the home stretch.

It might make sense to allow the players to prove they belong together, and that means enough games to remove all doubt, and then make changes that are backed with meaningful, and current data - especially if they are producing. Bones can then work to influence the shortfalls and hopefully everyone wins. And if it doesn't work out, there's no complaining about opportunity - or at least there shouldn't be.

In the end, he'll need to make a decision - but he doesn't need to make it now - and that's the part that we are struggling with. Coaches are always more patient than fans.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Since I've never learned how to reply to multiple posts, let me quote the opening phrases and you can verify them later if you wish:

#102 - Raideralex99 writes: "I must be an idiot

#137 - Wpgallday1960 writes: "Call my crazy

#143 - Bustamente writes: "I have no idea

Gradually, I'm beginning to feel a whole lot better about myself this morning!
Easy now on these "unclosed" quotes...

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Monahan looks solid. Enjoying his puck retrieval, board work and his commitment to the defense side of the game. Also he is lethal in that bumper spot

6 goals 1 assist in 9 games +1

Lindolm
4 goals 2 assists in 12 games -5

Looking like a steal at that salary
That bumper spot was a problem for us. Now, was it a matter of just standing in front and shooting pucks, or is it something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad