Post-Game Talk: Jets 3 - Hawks 2 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Damn your eyes, you beat me to it!

True story: I once mistakenly referred to Flames prospect Pavel Brendl as “Pavel Grendl”; the guy next to me at the poker table, Doc, guffawed in Harvard and said something like “if you think he’s good, you should see his mother!”

We met when I was trying to break into the social group of high limit players in the local public game, and I heard him openly wonder to the waitress how “special” the Daily Special could be, if it was prime rib three days in a row.

I piped up with “surely by now, they’re on to secondary rib?”

He guffawed loudly and asked the waitress for an order of “tertiary rib”, lol. Of course she rolled her eyes, just like when I’d wind him up and get him referring to Banh Mi as a “French Indo-Chinese sub”

Hey, look, we tipped the waitresses well, and we were the only two players NOT sexually harassing them, so cut us some slack :P
Your personal stories are getting way more interesting than @Inanna's. I may have to switch my infatuation to you.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Considering the Jets are 3-1 on that stretch, apparently you CAN

Yup just need the PP and other lines to carry. They need to be much better.

How much of that play was on sanberg if at all, as while Stanley was shooting he didn’t seem to realize that there was already a black hawk creeping out the zone, and how much should a defense partner be relied on watching the guy creeping out of the zone when your partner is shooting it? I mean it’s not like Stanley whiffed it in his own zone or was the only D back like with Pionk’s giveaway that lead to a breakaway and a safe by Helly.

I'm going to assume Samberg expected the d to d pass that dmen make 20 times a game since he was the only player open :laugh:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Wait, this is the guy in ball hockey that never comes back over the blue line? :sarcasm:
Ha ya....my main criticism of Kyle last night was the play in our D zone where he's cherry picking when our D needed an outlet. Ended up being an interception. Basically same play as the game before when Vilardi got intercepted. KC plays a selfish game at times.

Reactions: hn777

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Was ehlers diving for the puck the right play most of the time or is it better to keep your feet and be ready to play defence on the next play.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm not unhappy, but this team's performance has significantly risen my expectations for the season. I demand better out of the players that are supposed to be drivers. Chef's line isn't cutting it right now. They're defensively porous and getting hemmed in by the f***ing worst team in the league. That is an issue.
55’s line problems are a direct result of the fact that 81 cannot win a board battle and they lose possession almost every time that it’s his responsibility. In all zones. 55 and 13 are doing really well imo, but it doesn’t do any good when your linemate kills every play.

I know how good KC can be as a goal scorer, but I swear if you replaced him on the top line with anyone with tenacity, that line would be dominating. Count how many times he loses the puck in all zones. He just can’t keep a play going.

I’m a big 81 fan in all other areas, but we have to be honest about what is happening out there.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
55’s line problems are a direct result of the fact that 81 cannot win a board battle and they lose possession almost every time that it’s his responsibility. In all zones. 55 and 13 are doing really well imo, but it doesn’t do any good when your linemate kills every play.

I know how good KC can be as a goal scorer, but I swear if you replaced him on the top line with anyone with tenacity, that line would be dominating. Count how many times he loses the puck in all zones. He just can’t keep a play going.

I’m a big 81 fan in all other areas, but we have to be honest about what is happening out there.
Schief’s passes to 81 last night were pretty bad. They were usually way behind him.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Schief’s passes to 81 last night were pretty bad. They were usually way behind him.
55 may not have been at his best last night, but you have to have 3 forwards doing the same amount of work successfully. One weak link will break up the opportunities to hold possession and create chances.

A lot of hockey is played in traffic and on the boards. To my eyes, that is where KC is a detriment to that line. He’s fantastic with lots of room, but other teams usually cover him pretty good.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think people are way overanalyzing the Stanley play. Definitely wasn't the best play he could have made, but I do see what he was trying to do there.

Would have been nice to see Sammy backing up the strong side in the neutral zone as the puck was contested but it all happened pretty quickly.

Thus is the life of Logan Stanley. Every play he makes is analyzed to death and he gets skewered any time it results in something negative.

I really do hope we can move him at the tdl so we can go back to focus on how shitty our top scorer is.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Somehow, I’m sorry I asked.

Yep. All I wanna know is, Who's first or third in points %, Gina or Tommy?

Scrappy game and largely disjointed effort, but props to the Skate Dane and his doughty linemates and to Helle for keeping us in it late. Thought the 4th looked dynamic and what an almost-snipe from Names, JMo played another strong game and that was an OT beauty, from JMo's takeaway to KC's release.

I get it: Don't be mad at Stan. But you don't break up a top D pairing in the league just to see for the 100th time what we saw tonight: some okay D, some decent passes, a panic giveaway and a bottom-of-the-team performance that makes the pairing worse than the sum of its parts.

I think Stanley is by now the player he is and the player he'll ever be. I also think Chisholm is likely to stick in the league and be that solid 5-7 that adds some sensible D and solid transition and PP play -- just as we saw when he played for the Jets. Hopefully Stan returns a roster player to replace DC. But we need to end the Stanley Experiment v9.0 and get back to our best roster and hopefully best lines, IMO, if only because WHAT IS THE EFFING POINT?

Hopefully we see solid games top to bottom against AZ and STL. Looking forward to watching the AZ with family over here, even if I have to use my laster pointer to track the puck a la FoxSportz.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think people are way overanalyzing the Stanley play. Definitely wasn't the best play he could have made, but I do see what he was trying to do there.

Would have been nice to see Sammy backing up the strong side in the neutral zone as the puck was contested but it all happened pretty quickly.

Thus is the life of Logan Stanley. Every play he makes is analyzed to death and he gets skewered any time it results in something negative.

I really do hope we can move him at the tdl so we can go back to focus on how shitty our top scorer is.
We can multitask.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Yup just need the PP and other lines to carry. They need to be much better.

I'm going to assume Samberg expected the d to d pass that dmen make 20 times a game since he was the only player open :laugh:

Blackwell was open...

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'm sorry, what am I reading here with regards to Connor? Are the labels just garbage?

It's their individual game score, which is an amalgamation of all of their 5V5 contributions. It's just a way to visualise their on-ice performance in a somewhat digestible format. It shows that Samberg, Stanley, the top line, and Lowry's line all had bad to mediocre showings last night.

Reactions: hn777

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Look Out Bucky

1708790373194.png

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
It's their individual game score, which is an amalgamation of all of their 5V5 contributions. It's just a way to visualise their on-ice performance in a somewhat digestible format. It shows that Samberg, Stanley, the top line, and Lowry's line all had bad to mediocre showings last night.
Yeah, I'm getting that. What I'm questioning is why Connor's individual game score on offense is a full 2 points higher than his on-ice offense above average. If the naming isn't garbage, shouldn't there be some kind of alignment between the individual offense 5v5 of the linemates, and the linemates' offense above average?

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Yeah, I'm getting that. What I'm questioning is why Connor's individual game score on offense is a full 2 points higher than his on-ice offense above average.

I'm not sure how it factors to the mean, and whether it's a personal average or league average. My guess is it's a representation of goals and expected goals. KC is a defensively bad goal scorer. I haven't been following how they get their scores that closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad