Post-Game Talk: Jets 3 - Clutch and Grabbers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Not trying to make excuses for him but name one forward that has moved so far this year that would have fit what we needed to manage our injuries? No one as of yet has made any non depth type trades and we aren't the only team that has holes to fill. Methinks it's harder then most seem to think in a flat cap league to find not only players that you need but teams that are willing to move them and take cap back.
Colorado is full of holes that needed to be filled with injuries. Haven’t been filled very well for first half of season. By @CorgisPer60 does that make Sakic just an average GM?

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Not trying to make excuses for him but name one forward that has moved so far this year that would have fit what we needed to manage our injuries? No one as of yet has made any non depth type trades and we aren't the only team that has holes to fill. Methinks it's harder then most seem to think in a flat cap league to find not only players that you need but teams that are willing to move them and take cap back.

There are forwards that are or were available, but none have moved due to the costs associated. You need only look over at Vancouver to see some middle six forwards that likely won't be a Vancouver Canuck by the end of the year. Puljujarvi's another one. They apparently only wanted a mid round pick for him.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Considering he literally won the Stanley Cup last year, no. They give those GMs significantly more leeway.
Considering that Colorado was considered to be a team that could repeat and the fact that they haven’t made any moves to fill holes that could be considered damning. Much higher expectations, while even if we did make moves we’d always be a long shot.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Considering that Colorado was considered to be a team that could repeat and the fact that they haven’t made any moves to fill holes that could be considered damning. Much higher expectations, while even if we did make moves we’d always be a long shot.

Colorado could still repeat. They're very much in the hunt, and have been besieged with injuries to their players for longer than the Jets have theirs. I won't count them out until they're out. Jets have far more to prove with what they have. The barometer will be making it further than game 7 of round 1. >_>

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Colorado could still repeat. They're very much in the hunt, and have been besieged with injuries to their players for longer than the Jets have theirs. I won't count them out until they're out. Jets have far more to prove with what they have. The barometer will be making it further than game 7 of round 1. >_>
Yep we just need to make it second round and it’s a win. If Colorado loses it’s a loss anyway you cut it. Ehlers was out 3 games in. Longer than that is a super long time.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
There are forwards that are or were available, but none have moved due to the costs associated. You need only look over at Vancouver to see some middle six forwards that likely won't be a Vancouver Canuck by the end of the year. Puljujarvi's another one. They apparently only wanted a mid round pick for him.
so why are there complaints that chevy didn't make a trade when none of the forwards were traded due to the prices associated to them? the only winger from vancouver that could be a fit would be garland but haven't really seen reports of canucks trying to move him but have seen reports about boeser who makes to much money to fit our cap and quite frankly isn't worth his cap hit also none of these players were potentially available until vancouver blew 18 2 goal leads to start the season

puljujarvi would be a reclamation project that would put the jets in ltir and could protentional cost us a player that could actually be more useful at the deadline, has 9 points and is making 3 million while playing with 2 of the best players on the planet.. no thank you

there are forwards that were/are available but then you have to factor in cap hits, price to acquire and nmc/ntc and making a trade becomes a lot harder then you are trying to make it seem

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Exactly no one is making moves yet. I fully expect some forwards to be brought in closer to the deadline when we have accrued more cap space.
It will be interesting to see what Chevy does at the TD. I really hope we are healthy and looking to add rather than having to plug holes because of injuries. IMO Chevy has made the right call and not panic with our injuries. We are getting real close to having important players back and we are roughly in the same position we were a month ago.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I mean the only forwards I've heard available from Vancouver are Horvat and Boeser and both don't fit our cap situation. We'd have to send salary back or send salary to another team.

I personally am also not a huge fan of bringing in reclamation projects mid season. I'd take a chance on Puljujarvi but not until the offseason.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I mean the only forwards I've heard available from Vancouver are Horvat and Boeser and both don't fit our cap situation. We'd have to send salary back or send salary to another team.

I personally am also not a huge fan of bringing in reclamation projects mid season. I'd take a chance on Puljujarvi but not until the offseason.
I’ve totally have lost interest in Boeser after watching him more closely. Horvat would be a great TD add but he would be very costly and him coming signed long term is a unicorn. Since that has never happened to the Jets I’ll believe in it if I ever see it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I’ve totally have lost interest in Boeser after watching him more closely. Horvat would be a great TD add but he would be very costly and him coming signed long term is a unicorn. Since that has never happened to the Jets I’ll believe in it if I ever see it.

Yeah I used to like Brock but his game has really fallen off the last couple of years. Maybe that's injury and Vancouver org being a mess realted but he'd be far too big a risk.

Reactions: JetsFan815 and Jet

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah I used to like Brock but his game has really fallen off the last couple of years. Maybe that's injury and Vancouver org being a mess realted but he'd be far too big a risk.
He’d be a guy you might take a chance on in the offseason if you had the cap space for 1 year and it didn’t really cost you anything. He is still young enough to refind his game. Too much of a risk at the TD for real assets.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think the one thing our injuries have done is have us run through our depth players in multiple games to get a good handle on what they bring. Personally I’ve been really impressed with Stenlund who has made a strong case for 4th line duty even when we get healthy.
I've liked Stenlund and Kuhlman. I noticed Stenlund has a pretty good one timer shot, which is a hard shot to pull off, so he has good hands. I've also liked Kuhlman, as he has good wheels, and is a decent playmaker, very similar to Tanev. He needs to become a better finisher and score, but I think that will come with time, as it did for Tanev. We very much need a guy like this imo.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I've liked Stenlund and Kuhlman. I noticed Stenlund has a pretty good one timer shot, which is a hard shot to pull off, so he has good hands. I've also liked Kuhlman, as he has good wheels, and is a decent playmaker, very similar to Tanev. He needs to become a better finisher and score, but I think that will come with time, as it did for Tanev. We very much need a guy like this imo.
I'd like to see more of Kuhlman playing with bottom 6 players to see if he fits better than others in that role.

In other news...

The Ducks beat the Stars 2-0 to hand Dallas their 2nd straight loss.
That's what I would say is...

giphy.gif

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It would sort of suck to pull off a top 2 spot in the West to then run into a healthy Colorado Wild Card team in the first round. That would be a funny situation if Dallas and Winnipeg were "tanking" at the end when they have the top two spots locked up to avoid such a thing.

Too far out to really worry about such things.

Reactions: GNP and hn777

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Sure, if we had the cap space for it.

Yeah, this is the reason I don't really like the "Chevy should've made a hypothetical trade" point being brought out as some failure on his part - we've only heard unconfirmed rumours about these forwards that are supposedly available, with even flimsier rumours about what price they'd be available for. I agree with your earlier point that bringing in a struggling forward like Puljujarvi mid-season and throwing him into a top 6 role because of injuries here is far more likely to fail than succeed.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah, this is the reason I don't really like the "Chevy should've made a hypothetical trade" point being brought out as some failure on his part - we've only heard unconfirmed rumours about these forwards that are supposedly available, with even flimsier rumours about what price they'd be available for. I agree with your earlier point that bringing in a struggling forward like Puljujarvi mid-season and throwing him into a top 6 role because of injuries here is far more likely to fail than succeed.
Not to mention a failure with a player like that is harder to manage.

With the guys we have, if they don't work out, you can just waive them, nbd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yeah it would be one thing if we were a rebuilding team but we are a team looking to make a run. Any player we get needs to be performing well and be an established fit for what role we need filled. I personally don't like spending much cap space on bottom 6 players so I'd prefer the rental route myself for those slots.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I want no part of Pulijujarvi , the guy is playing with McDavid and not producing. If you can't produce with McDavid you aren't going to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad