McKenzie: Jesse Puljujarvi has requested a trade from Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Whatever team that trade for him, better be ready to really try him in a top 6 spot.. Otherwise they will not gain anything from it, I almost know for certain that he would be better and better with the confidance he would get with a more locked possition on the team. I have watched him alot but I have never seen him as woodhanded and foolish with the puck like in edmonton, almost like you could tell he is like (OMG OMG if I do something bad now Ill get sent down and be the biggest bust) or whatever. SO I think the team that are willing to really give him a go is the team that should trade for him.

His confidence got absolutely shattered this last season. He was pretty good the year before and had a great preseason but McLellan responded to his job being on the line by benching anyone under 22 not named McDavid.

There was a game I remember where Puljujarvi was one of our best players on the ice in the 2nd period and had a goal and an assist. McLellan responded by refusing to play him in the 3rd and starting him the next game with the corpse of Brodziak.

A team trading for him will need to build him back up, give him consistent messaging, reward him when he’s playing well, and for God’s sake give the kid semi consistent linemates. He literally asked McLellan for one thing the summer of 17/18 - consistent linemates so he could build some chemistry - and he couldn’t even give him that.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
His confidence got absolutely shattered this last season. He was pretty good the year before and had a great preseason but McLellan responded to his job being on the line by benching anyone under 22 not named McDavid.

There was a game I remember where Puljujarvi was one of our best players on the ice in the 2nd period and had a goal and an assist. McLellan responded by refusing to play him in the 3rd and starting him the next game with the corpse of Brodziak.

A team trading for him will need to build him back up, give him consistent messaging, reward him when he’s playing well, and for God’s sake give the kid semi consistent linemates. He literally asked McLellan for one thing the summer of 17/18 - consistent linemates so he could build some chemistry - and he couldn’t even give him that.
What were the reasons for benching. Is it a similar situation to us in Vancouver with Goldobin in defensive zone plays or a bad turnover?

Reactions: Supermassive

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Wanting isn’t always getting, however, if there’s a deal out there that makes sense for Edmonton I’m sure it will be explored.

Ferraro was just on Edmonton radio saying along the lines of “it makes sense for everyone to take another crack at this thing with a new GM and a new staff, everyone gets a fresh slate now”.

Remember Hitchcock didn’t get to pick his assistants, he inherited McLellan’s crew and any biases they might have. The only carryover to Tippett is Gulutzan.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see him traded, but I think any HF vultures hoping to scoop him for a fourth round pick are going to be sorely disappointed.

Think names like Andersson, Alex Nylander, Juolevi, Senyshyn, Svechnikov the Lesser, Jost, Max Jones, Tage Thompson, etc etc. High upside guys that haven’t realized their potential and maybe would benefit from a change of scenery. Edmonton won’t be doing anyone a favour and dumping him off a cliff for a middle pick or other junk.

He could also make some sense to someone like Vegas, who is in a hell of a cap bind. Puljujarvi for Haula/Eakin/Miller could make some sense for both sides. Ditto Toronto. I wouldn’t be interested in dealing him for Brown but a package built around Puljujarvi for a guy like Johansson could also benefit both sides.
As a Sabres fan I'd do Thompson for Puljujarvi. However I doubt Botterill is willing to cut bait so soon with the "prize" of his ROR deal.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If you're looking for an apples to apples trade - Perlini is about as close as you can get for Puljujarvi. If Edmonton thinks they can "win" the trade - then yeah Perlini isn't your guy.

Perlini is two years older and absolutely no better. Trust me, I watched plenty of him in Arizona and Chicago. He’s a guy that if he’s not scoring he’s actively making his team worse and he’s maybe the streakiest player I’ve ever seen. I don’t think he’ll ever be more than what he is, at least there’s a chance with Puljujarvi.

Reactions: 780il and Bruhin

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What were the reasons for benching. Is it a similar situation to us in Vancouver with Goldobin in defensive zone plays or a bad turnover?

He’s actually a reasonably solid defensive player, doesn’t give up very much. That’s part of the problem. He’s so cautious and jittery out there, terrified to make a mistake. Ferraro mentioned it on the radio today - he’s a shadow of the guy he was in junior and it’s 100% confidence.

And just when he was down in the AHL and playing well f***ing Hitchcock has to ride in on his white horse and say “I can fix him” like a gone to seed Fix it Felix from Wreck it Ralph, convinced Chia to bring him up after four games, just to abandon him two weeks later.

McLellan is one of those coaches that cuts his bench when he’s losing and because we suck we were losing a lot.

I’ll go ahead and throw Talbot under the bus a bit too. The guy gave up more first shot of the game goals than I’ve ever seen in my life so often we were losing early.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
But he's a bust. Look at the Yakupov trade for a guidline.

Conditional mid round pick and some AHL longshot.

I guess Bracco is a bust too then. Not an NHLer at 22? Fire that bust into the f***ing sun. :laugh:

Players aren’t busts for having a tough 20 year old season. Saying they’re busts is really foolish.

Reactions: mc1laren

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Would be interested from Buffalo, I think a coach like Krueger could work with him and give confidence. I don't want to give up Nylander yet, but I think I would have agreed to Thompson option, maybe something else around Conor Sheary, although Botterill probably won't want to touch them.

Reactions: T Maks

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
A team that needs right wingers and cost controlled players is going to trade away one?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Robby Fabbri potentially. I would prefer Pavel Zacha, but good luck convincing their fans.

If there's no promising name, I don't see it happening. In all honesty, JP should just sign with Jokerit for the year that was speculated. Work on his English and when he gets back over in a year or two, I'll bet he'd be shocked how much easier it is to find chemistry with his linemates when he can understand what they're saying to him. Same goes for his coaches.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Perlini is two years older and absolutely no better. Trust me, I watched plenty of him in Arizona and Chicago. He’s a guy that if he’s not scoring he’s actively making his team worse and he’s maybe the streakiest player I’ve ever seen. I don’t think he’ll ever be more than what he is, at least there’s a chance with Puljujarvi.

Hanging your hat on Perlini being 2 years older is a legitimate argument but comparing their NHL careers - they both have parts of 3 seasons with Perlini finally not spending any time in the AHL this past season. The career scoring stats clearly favor Perlini:

Puljujarvi:
2016/17 - 28 games, 1 goal, 8 points
2017/18 - 65 games, 12 goals, 20 points
2018/19 - 46 games, 4 goals, 9 points

Perlini:
2016/17 - 57 games, 14 goals, 21 points
2017/18 - 74 games, 17 goals, 30 points
2018/19 - 68 games, 14 goals, 21 points

If Perlini is inconsistent/streaky - then so is Puljujarvi, even more so.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hanging your hat on Perlini being 2 years older is a legitimate argument but comparing their NHL careers - they both have parts of 3 seasons with Perlini finally not spending any time in the AHL this past season. The career scoring stats clearly favor Perlini:

Puljujarvi:
2016/17 - 28 games, 1 goal, 8 points
2017/18 - 65 games, 12 goals, 20 points
2018/19 - 46 games, 4 goals, 9 points

Perlini:
2016/17 - 57 games, 14 goals, 21 points
2017/18 - 74 games, 17 goals, 30 points
2018/19 - 68 games, 14 goals, 21 points

If Perlini is inconsistent/streaky - then so is Puljujarvi, even more so.

It’s not all about scoring. Scoring goals is the one thing he’s good at and he’s not even THAT good at it. :laugh:

From my viewings Perlini is damn near helpless at pretty much everything that’s not scoring. I just plain don’t like the player and dont have much time for him.

Other people might entertain it but to me he is what he is, isn’t getting better, and is two years older. I wouldn’t do it, but someone else might.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Ha ha! That should silence some Oilers fans saying that Edm will get a 1st rounder for him or a very good return.

With that trade request, PoolParty has lost all his value.

Edm will be lucj to get a 3rd rounder for him now. LOL

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad