Value of: Jesse Puljujärvi

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
I really like Pulju and I think he can be a real force. However, he should be moved since there is a brutal gap between Puljus needs and the Oilers social competence.

Let me explain. Pulju has all the tools in the world. He's like a Ferrari. A Ferrari with deflated tires all around. So all he's potential becomes inept. In the organisation everyone knows that he needs to inflates he's tires but they don't know how to tell him and Pulju keeps playing like his head is in molasses.

"- Argh why doesnt he just inflate those damn tires, I'll just degrade him to the 4th line. That'll teach him!"

Meanwhile Jesse goes:

- "Prkl vittu saatana"

So, if there is a team out there with social skills and know's how to MENTOR a player with a head full of molasses (or just knows how to inflate some tires) I think you could be getting a bargain. As an Oilers fan it sadens me the lack of competence shown by the org. Pulju evidently has some real good qualities.

Last edited:

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
I really like Pulju and I think he can be a real force. However, he should be moved since there is a brutal gap between Puljus needs and the Oilers social competence.

Let me explain. Pulju has all the tools in the world. He's like a Ferrari. A Ferrari with deflated tires all around. So all he's potential becomes inept. In the organisation everyone knows that he needs to inflates he's tires but they don't know how to tell him and Pulju keeps playing like his head is in molasses.

"- Argh why doesnt he just inflate those damn tires, I'll just degrade him to the 4th line. That'll tech him!"

Meanwhile Jesse goes:

- "Prkl vittu saatana"

So, if there is a team out there with social skills and know's how to MENTOR a player with a head full of molasses (or just knows how to inflate some tires) I think you could be getting a bargain. As an Oilers fan it sadens me the lack of competence shown by the org. Pulju evidently has some real good qualities.

What are these good qualities?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

"- Argh why doesnt he just inflate those damn tires, I'll just degrade him to the 4th line. That'll tech him!"

Meanwhile Jesse goes:

- "Prkl vittu saatana"

Fun post. I would think that MN would be a good team for Pulju to go to, as they are chock full of experience, and have some rock solid Finns to mentor him. Having said that, one has to wonder if Jarmo knew something that most of us didn't when he didn't take him as the 3 oa. I would guess that he has better sources than most in Finland.

Reactions: Bazeek

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Still think that if you swap him and Sprong, both players will explode for their new teams

Reactions: teddygmr

seguino

Jan 7, 2013
Van
Yet to see Pulju make a play that makes me think he is going to be 4th overall good. Looks awkward out there and I think his stick is too long.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Still think that if you swap him and Sprong, both players will explode for their new teams

Sprong just adds to our ‘probably shouldn’t be top 9 NHLers’ logjam, he’s not a solution to any of our problems. I’d view that in a similar vein to the Isles/Habs fans that swear that a Puljuarvi - Ho-Sang/Scherbak trade isn’t highway robbery for them and I seriously think they’d just EXPLODE for your team you guys.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Sprong just adds to our ‘probably shouldn’t be top 9 NHLers’ logjam, he’s not a solution to any of our problems. I’d view that in a similar vein to the Isles/Habs fans that swear that a Puljuarvi - Ho-Sang/Scherbak trade isn’t highway robbery for them and I seriously think they’d just EXPLODE for your team you guys.
Would Goldobin fall in that category for you as well?

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006

"- Argh why doesnt he just inflate those damn tires, I'll just degrade him to the 4th line. That'll teach him!"

Meanwhile Jesse goes:

- "Prkl vittu saatana"

Was that supposed to make sense?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Something around Andersson? Both are young and Andersson is starting to look like an NHL defenseman.

Lol no. Andersson is only a year and a half older and potentially projecting towards being a #2 right handed dman (he already got a taste when Brodie was played like crap), and he forced the coaching staff to scratch stone (granted that isn't as much of an accomplishment). We don't need a struggling player for that.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Yet to see Pulju make a play that makes me think he is going to be 4th overall good. Looks awkward out there and I think his stick is too long.
that must be a thing from playing in the liiga.
i think Kotkaniemi could do much better with a shorter stick. that thing is like 10 foot long!

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Absolutely.

I would not trade a 20 year old for a 23 year old that I don’t think is any better right now. Not without significant additions. Especially since our organization apparently hates Russians.
if puljujarvi keeps staggering and doesn't show much more, at what point are you going to give up on him and trade him for a player in a similar situation?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
if puljujarvi keeps staggering and doesn't show much more, at what point are you going to give up on him and trade him for a player in a similar situation?

Well, Habs fans think that Scherbak can fetch a 20 year old 4th overall that hasn’t lit it up out of the gate, so...

I’d give him until 22 bare minimum.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Well, Habs fans think that Scherbak can fetch a 20 year old 4th overall that hasn’t lit it up out of the gate, so...

I’d give him until 22 bare minimum.
my question had no mockery, it was a serious question! i do think selling him at 20 year old would be stupid but at the same time you never know with chia, it's pretty obvious Pulju was rushed and no matte how he turns out you'll never know if it affected him and could of been better. Scherbak is no slug tbh, he lacks work ethic and Dzone smarts thats about it, skill wise he's top notch and he could very well boom somewhere else as much as JP. JP hasn't done anything on paper to have a significant value beside his draft pedigree, to be fair i'm not saying it would be a smart move by the oilers but i don't think he's worth more than Scherbak and a 2nd ( compensation for the 2 and a half year difference) once again not saying oilers should do it, but why would any team give more value than this at this point, there hasn't been any indication of him doing any better! hence why selling Puljujarvi right now would be dumb, but selling him later could also get you less! The gamble is pretty easy in my opinion

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
my question had no mockery, it was a serious question! i do think selling him at 20 year old would be stupid but at the same time you never know with chia, it's pretty obvious Pulju was rushed and no matte how he turns out you'll never know if it affected him and could of been better. Scherbak is no slug tbh, he lacks work ethic and Dzone smarts thats about it, skill wise he's top notch and he could very well boom somewhere else as much as JP. JP hasn't done anything on paper to have a significant value beside his draft pedigree, to be fair i'm not saying it would be a smart move by the oilers but i don't think he's worth more than Scherbak and a 2nd ( compensation for the 2 and a half year difference) once again not saying oilers should do it, but why would any team give more value than this at this point, there hasn't been any indication of him doing any better! hence why selling Puljujarvi right now would be dumb, but selling him later could also get you less! The gamble is pretty easy in my opinion

No, totally get it. Selling low on Puljujarvi without even seeing how he’d respond to an AHL stint would be extremely foolish.

The thing is Puljujarvi is not lacking talent at all, and he IS defensively responsible and has an excellent work ethic, which is why the Yak comparisons are seriously out to lunch for me. The two players could not be more different stylistically.

Where Scherbak seriously loses value to us is he’d need to clear waivers to be sent down, and I think plenty of teams would give him a look if he was coming for free. We’d have to be absolutely convinced he’s an NHL player, and I am absolutely not. Scherbak+2nd might be all you’d offer, and that’s fine, but I wouldn’t even fleetingly consider making that move. I wouldn’t even need to sleep on it if I’m a GM and you called me with that offer, I’d just tell you to move on and that my player was not available.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Is there blame somewhere? With all of the above being true, something doesn't add up.

He’s working hard when he’s getting opportunities, but if you’re not McDavid you don’t get much room for creativity under McLellan.

It’s the Oiler way. We tried to turn guys like Hemsky and Schultz into checkers rather than play to their strengths. I’ll give you an example - the coaches here give out powerplay time to guys they think have ‘earned’ it, rather than put together alignments that have the best chance to score or play to players strengths. It legitimately took 100 games - 100 FREAKING GAMES - for the coaching staff to pull Lucic off of PP1. Dude has 2 goals in his last 65, and was still pulling 3+ minutes of powerplay time every game.

It’s less ‘Puljujarvi has a great shot and an excellent release, that could really help our PP’ and more ‘Well Jesse when you dump and chase the puck the way we want you to maybe you’ll get a minute a night on PP2’.

Reactions: Kolja

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Realistically I think Pulju for Juolevi is fair value wise, Van may need to add a late pick. But that trade doesn't help the Canucks shore up that putrid D

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Pulju for a 2nd should be quite close to reasonable value right now. We'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad