Value of: Jesse Puljujärvi

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers ruining the kid. Played on all 4 lines this season and now scratched and eating popcorn. Had an ok pre-season, but clearly isnt thrusted by management/coach. I`d say he still has some upside, but not on the Oilers. He would need Top6 minutes and time to adapt to the linemates and hopefully he gets going.

What would your team offer?

Kelevra

Mar 6, 2007
As an Oiler fan I’ve seen a few Toronto fans offer kapanen. I think that’s a fair trade and babs is probably the right coach for him. Jp seems like the type of kid that needs lots of encouragement rather than tough love

Reactions: irunthepeg

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd offer our 1st rounder with maybe a small plus. Edmonton would never take it. He wouldn't get top 6 minutes here, but would probably get solid time with Kadri who is at the very least the level of an average 2nd line NHL center. It would require Nylander or Kapanen to move to their off-wing though (if/when Willy returns).

Honestly though, if Leafs somehow acquired him, it might be in his best interest to finish the year with the Marlies working on everything with 1st line minutes. From day to day communication skills, and hockey skills. Plus, unlike most NHL teams, the Leafs and Marlies share training facilities and he wouldn't be detached from the team.

Reactions: jonlin

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No doubt fans of other teams will happily offer their 24 year old busted prospects or grittiest #6 defencemen.

We’re good on those fronts, thanks. Ditto with offers of low first rounders and spare junk.

Edmonton shouldn’t trade Puljujarvi. He’s very young, has a ton of upside, and will be a very good player in this league...but it’s clear that using him properly is like McLellan trying to write computer code in Mandarin.

Honestly going down to Bakersfield for a few weeks wouldn’t be the worst idea - play big minutes and PP1 and get his confidence back.

All the kid asked for this offseason was consistent linemates and we couldn’t even do that for him. Bullshit treatment.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
As an Oiler fan I’ve seen a few Toronto fans offer kapanen. I think that’s a fair trade and babs is probably the right coach for him. Jp seems like the type of kid that needs lots of encouragement rather than tough love

Really doubt Toronto would offer Kapanen after his newfound level. Kapanen seems to be a sure bet and Pulju Still has questionmarks over him. The talent is there but Edmonton makes a really poor job showcasing it.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018

If this is the case then why would Babcock be the right coach? He's extremely hard on young players.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

Wouldn't offer Kapanen, he's looking solid and Leafs have already invested a lot into him. I'd offer a first though.

Reactions: SteadyFreddie

Kelevra

Mar 6, 2007
Really doubt Toronto would offer Kapanen after his newfound level. Kapanen seems to be a sure bet and Pulju Still has questionmarks over him. The talent is there but Edmonton makes a really poor job showcasing it.

I was a bit surpriesed as well but they have in the other threads on JP

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I’m sure you would. 24th-29th overall is a deal we can pretty easily pass on.

Well if the Oilers keep scratching him and not developing him properly then you might be looking at a Lazar situation where you'd only get a 2nd in a year. The Marlies have terrific player development and I think he would make huge strides under the Leafs development process.

As for Kapanen, how much is the difference in the long-term potential of him and Jese? I see both as probably complementary 2nd line wingers, with the caveat being even if Kapanen's offensive tools never reach a top line level, he's still one of the fastest players in the league and he'll always have his speed. Doesn't make sense to take an additional risk, and put in more time, for MAYBE a marginal upgrade in potential.

Reactions: SteadyFreddie

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think he ends up used as currency to get the Oilers a veteran defender. He's the type of asset that will have fluctuating value to different management groups based on how they assess his likelihood of progressing.

In general, I'd probably peg him as being worth a mid to late 1st. Maybe a bit more.

To me, it doesn't make sense for Edmonton to keep him. It's not working out there. Unlike with a prospect who is taken much later in the draft where a team might get very little in a trade, so it's worth holding on to them, Puljujarvi has value. They should take advantage of that value now rather than trading him when he's worth much less 2-3 years from now.

They've been through this exact same situation before with Yakupov. Although, I am not saying Puljujarvi is a bust like Yak, just that I don't think he is going to develop in Edmonton, and if they hold on to him they'll lose out on the opportunity to get real value out of him in a trade.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Well if the Oilers keep scratching him and not developing him properly then you might be looking at a Lazar situation where you'd only get a 2nd in a year. The Marlies have terrific player development and I think he would make huge strides under the Leafs development process.

As for Kapanen, how much is the difference in the long-term potential of him and Jese? I see both as probably complementary 2nd line wingers, with the caveat being even if Kapanen's offensive tools never reach a top line level, he's still one of the fastest players in the league and he'll always have his speed. Doesn't make sense to take an additional risk, and put in more time, for MAYBE a marginal upgrade in potential.

It’s a risk we’re plenty willing to take. A player taken that low is 50-50 to even be as good as Puljujarvi is right now, so why make that deal? McLellan just refuses to put him in a position to succeed. Puljujarvi is two years younger than Kapanen and he’s largely been rolled out with Ryan Strome, not Auston Matthews.

We should do exactly what you’re planning on doing - play him big minutes in the AHL, make him the triggerman on the PP, and when McLellan inevitably gets canned for being an outdated dinosaur whose most innovative idea is ‘pucks in deep!’, call him back up.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Pretty much echo my sentiments on the JP thread on the Oilers board.

He's 6'4" blitzing speed, and a heavy shot.
High draft pedigree, WJHC MVP in his draft year.

The problem is simply he's still growing into his body. He's awkward, lanky, inconsistent, and will show a flash of what he could do every 3-4 games and make you wonder Why he isn't doing that every shift.

Wanna know who else had all the tools and just needed some time?

Todd Bertuzzi
Olli Jokkinen
John Leclair
Blake Wheeler
Johan Franzen

Huge, fast, high skill guys that didn't break out till 25-26 on their 2nd or 3rd teams.

The problem with the Oilers is that JP is likely 5 years away from becoming a dominant player.

Just like everyone on that previous list (except Franzen), we'll likely trade him for pennies on the dollar to a lucky team that will get to witness his breakout.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
"Oilers ruin another prospect"

Honestly I wouldn't mind if we packaged him in a deal to Ottawa for an extended Stone(yes I know, cap wise it would be tough) Let's pretend Chia is competent and could make this work.

Puljujarvi + 1st round pick in 2019 + 2nd round pick in 2020 + Lucic + Jones for Stone.

Move out other dead cap space across the league(ex. Kassian, Benning, Caggiula)

RNH-McDavid-Yamamoto
Reider-Draisaitl-Stone

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pretty much echo my sentiments on the JP thread on the Oilers board.

He's 6'4" blitzing speed, and a heavy shot.
High draft pedigree, WJHC MVP in his draft year.

The problem is simply he's still growing into his body. He's awkward, lanky, inconsistent, and will show a flash of what he could do every 3-4 games and make you wonder Why he isn't doing that every shift.

Wanna know who else had all the tools and just needed some time?

Todd Bertuzzi
Olli Jokkinen
John Leclair
Blake Wheeler
Johan Franzen

Huge, fast, high skill guys that didn't break out till 25-26 on their 2nd or 3rd teams.

The problem with the Oilers is that JP is likely 5 years away from becoming a dominant player.

Just like everyone on that previous list (except Franzen), we'll likely trade him for pennies on the dollar to a lucky team that will get to witness his breakout.
You do know there is also a long list of guys who had these tools and never put it together.

I also don't think Bertuzzi or Leclair was traded for pennies. Trevor Linden was a very highly respected NHL player and Mark Recchi was a very elite player.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Is he hard in a harsh way or respectful way? Honest question. There’s a big difference

Based on stories he's not exactly known to care much about players' feelings. He'll also scratch/bench young players often if they're not playing the way he wants them to play. Even Marner and Nylander have been busted down to the 4th line.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Oilers need to get 3 Finnish players, so Pulju can get comfortable, hockey is a mental game.
1 veteran, 2 players close to his age, maybe Oilers should go for Patrik Laine...

ALL BELOW, HIGHLY HYPOTHETICAL, JUST THROWING THINGS AROUND
(no need to focus on that and get your inner aggravator up and about)

Patrik Laine (Winnipeg), Mikko Koivu, (Minnesota), Julius Honka (Dallas)

Draisaitl+Yamamoto+2019 1st+2019 2nd -> Winnipeg
<- Edmonton, Laine

Strome+ 2020 1st -> Minnesota
<- Edmonton, Koivu

Larsson -> Dallas
<- Edmonton, Honka+2019 1st

Laine-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Koivu-Puljujärvi
Caggiula-NugentHopkins-Rieder
Chiasson-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Honka
Nurse-Bouchard
Sekera*-Benning

*when ever recovers from surgery

If you don't have anything essential to say, don't bother replying :)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Koivu is not leaving Minnesota, and sure as hell isn't going to EDM.

I could see MN offering Kunin or Sokolov+2nd for Pulju. That's about it. He MIGHT flourish with Granlund and Koivu mentoring him. I'm sure that they would advise Fenton on what the deal is with him, and whether he is salvageable or not.

Reactions: FVM

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Oilers need to get 3 Finnish players, so Pulju can get comfortable, hockey is a mental game.
1 veteran, 2 players close to his age, maybe Oilers should go for Patrik Laine...

<- Edmonton, Laine

<- Edmonton, Koivu

Larsson -> Dallas

Laine-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Koivu-Puljujärvi

Klefbom-Honka
Nurse-Bouchard
Sekera*-Benning

All 3 of those trades are complete ass for us lol

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

<- Edmonton, Laine

<- Edmonton, Koivu

Larsson -> Dallas

Laine-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Koivu-Puljujärvi

Klefbom-Honka
Nurse-Bouchard
Sekera*-Benning

Holy man those are bad trades for Edmonton.

Draisaitl + Yamamoto + 1st + 2nd for Laine. Jebus.

Koivu: Sure why not throw another 1st out there? We don't need to draft over the next few years.

Larsson to Dallas for Honka? WTF ?

Just throw out the entire team for a few Finnish players? This is a terribly thought out post. Wow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad