Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I want to see a line of RNH - McDavid - Puljujarvi next year.

You can want whatever you want.
But if Jesse wants to play bigger role than 4th line minutes he must earn that.

The brutal fact is that Jesse is really close turning next Nail Yakupov.
Next season is big season for Jesse it's do or die for him and if he can't show any progress his time in Oilers is over.

Craig Button can chirp Oilers and McLellan for treating Puljujarvi like a dog so much as he wants.
But it's not Oilers and McLellan's fault when Jesse is unable to show any development or progress in that age.

Yes i'm lost all my faith for Jesse.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Next season is big season for Jesse it's do or die for him and if he can't show any progress his time in Oilers is over.

Craig Button can chirp Oilers and McLellan for treating Puljujarvi like a dog so much as he wants.
But it's not Oilers and McLellan's fault when Jesse is unable to show any development or progress in that age.

Sure you can put some blame on Todd. I guarantee Puljujarvi would be doing well under a coach like Gallant who doesn't hold his talent back every time he makes a mistake that a player at his age is going to make. Unleash the player. You can still teach them through their mistakes without breaking their confidence.

Todd Nelson is a very similar coach (I was always upset that we never gave him a real shot). Look at what he did for Yak's confidence in that half season.

Absolutely some of this is on Jesse, but the system under Todd and Peter hasn't done any favours for him either.

I still believe in the player, if the coach can learn something from watching Gallant this Spring.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Relax. He's 4 months older than Kailer Yamamoto.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I want to see a line of RNH - McDavid - Puljujarvi next year.

That would be great if he earns it but would screw our cap situation even more. I'd prefer that he be stapled to Draisaitl all season. Give Drai a consistent linemate with skill.

Sure you can put some blame on Todd. I guarantee Puljujarvi would be doing well under a coach like Gallant who doesn't hold his talent back every time he makes a mistake that a player at his age is going to make. Unleash the player. You can still teach them through their mistakes without breaking their confidence.

Todd Nelson is a very similar coach (I was always upset that we never gave him a real shot). Look at what he did for Yak's confidence in that half season.

Absolutely some of this is on Jesse, but the system under Todd and Peter hasn't done any favours for him either.

I still believe in the player, if the coach can learn something from watching Gallant this Spring.

Everyone loves ripping Chia but the reality is that he dealt Eberle and never really replaced him externally which gave Jesse a chance to grab a top 6 RW spot. I don't know how you can fault Chia for Jesse's struggles other than his choice of coach.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If you wanna see real Finnish generational talent you should watch Lauri Markkanen ( Finnish NBA player).
Markkanen was TOP5 rookie in NBA this past season and Puljujarvi is really close to be next Nail Yakupov.

Yes basketball and hockey are two different sport but still i won't call Puljujarvi a generational talent.
If some Finnish NHLer is generational talent it's Patrik Laine.

I believe that you misunderstood him. "he's a generational talent at standing in the back of interviews and milling about."

That goes back to his pizza eating incident, he is not saying that he's a generational hockey player, we have one and know what that type of player looks like on the ice already :)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That would be great if he earns it but would screw our cap situation even more. I'd prefer that he be stapled to Draisaitl all season. Give Drai a consistent linemate with skill.

Everyone loves ripping Chia but the reality is that he dealt Eberle and never really replaced him externally which gave Jesse a chance to grab a top 6 RW spot. I don't know how you can fault Chia for Jesse's struggles other than his choice of coach.
I think this is the right way to look at it. Just look at Sekera getting injured, and how it gave Nurse a chance, and he made the most of it. JP did not grab his own spot in that way. I'm not down on JP though. Just because he couldn't do it this season doesn't mean he can't do it next season.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
If you wanna see real Finnish generational talent you should watch Lauri Markkanen ( Finnish NBA player).
Markkanen was TOP5 rookie in NBA this past season and Puljujarvi is really close to be next Nail Yakupov.

Yes basketball and hockey are two different sport but still i won't call Puljujarvi a generational talent.
If some Finnish NHLer is generational talent it's Patrik Laine.

Hey, I get that english isn't your first language so no biggie, but re-read my original comment.

He's clearly generational when it comes to standing behind an interview and eating pizza or staring into the abyss.

No debate.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailMcJesus

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
upload_2018-6-3_22-57-22.png

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
https://postmediaedmontonjournal2.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/pulju-splits.png

To me this statistic is mainly a testimony on McLellan's coaching. Post All-Star break McLellan had Pulju playing among other things as a left wing, on a fourth line and finally with Strome on a third line.

If I recall it right, the explanation McLellan gave for this mishandling was: "I like him (Jesse) there (on left)".

One can only wonder if this was suppose to benefit the team as whole, but what did it manage to do, was lose Pulju's confidence (once again one might add) and for the team - they didn't get even a whiff of the playoffs.

To answer Bruce McCurdy's question, to me Oilers are at great risk losing Pulju, if McLellan has "free hands". Hopefully Viveiros is able to help or they should just trade Pulju.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Hey, I get that english isn't your first language so no biggie, but re-read my original comment.

He's clearly generational when it comes to standing behind an interview and eating pizza or starting into the abyss.

No debate.

Puljujarvi ''generational talent'' yeah for sure.
It would be good to know the achievements to which you base that assessment.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
https://postmediaedmontonjournal2.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/pulju-splits.png

To me this statistic is mainly a testimony on McLellan's coaching. Post All-Star break McLellan had Pulju playing among other things as a left wing, on a fourth line and finally with Strome on a third line.

If I recall it right, the explanation McLellan gave for this mishandling was: "I like him (Jesse) there (on left)".

One can only wonder if this was suppose to benefit the team as whole, but what did it manage to do, was lose Pulju's confidence (once again one might add) and for the team - they didn't get even a whiff of the playoffs.

To answer Bruce McCurdy's question, to me Oilers are at great risk losing Pulju, if McLellan has "free hands". Hopefully Viveiros is able to help or they should just trade Pulju.
Part of him going on the left was to see if he could use his one-timer better.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
if lucic can come back to regular lucic instead of bum lucic then a line of Lucic - Drai - JP98 would be hard to stop on the cycle. all 3 are great at protecting the puck and 2 of the 3 have great hands in close to the net.

everyone crapping of JP is hilarious. he was one of the youngest players in his draft class. this is going to be the year we can start judging him and his ability to play in the league.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Puljujarvi is a classic victim of overhype and unrealistic expectations. In his case due to a good showing in a small sample size(WJHC).

The biggest thing he needs right now is for people to chill. He'll be fine.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Puljujarvi is a classic victim of overhype and unrealistic expectations. In his case due to a good showing in a small sample size(WJHC).

People need to chill on both sides, I agree.

Us detractors need to take a deep breath and not see Yakupov. And his supporters need to stop saying he is going to be a legit elite 1st line guy.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018

Maybe You are right about the chilling part, but Puljujärvi has been hyped far before his draft year. Although he did excel at WJHC it is not his only "sample".

Here is some analysis in English to broaden the conception:

The Draft Analyst | Draft Profile: Jesse Puljujärvi

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I understand in fans' eyes you're only as good as your recent games. And Jesse's game declined towards the end, but a part of the blame has to go to McLellan, too. Last spring that was almost a concensus here.

You can blame me for overselling Jesse, it's okay, but by the end of 2018 he'd played 22 games and scored 8+3 in them. He was also +9 and his goal production rates were among the best in the NHL, despite him not having any PP time at that time.

The problems started later, and I believe McLellan had many tools to prevent at least some of it. At least he could've done something to feed his confidence, whether that's keeping him longer with players that he'd synced with, using him properly on the PP or not putting him to the 4th line on his wrong side.

I've read e.g. about the Jets, where some young players have said they've loved the way they've been allowed to grow through mistakes. I hope a combination of Jesse developing, speaking better English, and the new assistant coaches brings a better combination and this time Jesse could go on like he started the last season. Now I'll step aside (from writing) for at least a few weeks again.

Reactions: Missoil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad