Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Todd Nelson should have been given a real shot here. I don't know if there was a sense of urgency to bring in a well known coach to make Connor more confident about coming here? But look at what Todd did for Yak. He probably could have saved Schultz here too.

Add Lander to that list.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
It doesn't change the fact, the next year (19) it was 14P in 11 games, there is a pattern. We can all hope Puljujarvi comes around and scoring points in AHL doesn't mean all that much, but if you are comparing at ages as you did in that post...fair is fair.

Small sample sizes don't mean so much. That's the truth.

Reactions: nabob

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
With McLellan returning, I REALLY hope that he has a heart to heart with Jesse and that they can see eye to eye going into next season.

Reactions: Aerrol

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I’m hoping for a breakout season, but won’t be surprised if it doesn’t happen. Pulju needs to shorten his stick and a new tape job or his puck handling will keep suffering.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
That'd be nice but highly unlikely with TMac coaching, just can't see him giving JP the linemates to make this happen. He'll be 10g-15a.

He was pacing for 15 goals last year. I don't think it's unlikely for him to increase that pace 5 goals with an entire summer of dedicated training.

Even with a coach that seems incapable of utilizing players on his roster.

Reactions: Ippenator

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
His english has improved by a big amount. Maybe it wont as much of an obstacle next year.

Not surprised that his English improved. He's young and a bright kid.

He'll get better with the pronouns and the fluency will come.

He comes across as pretty witty and appears much more comfortable in English now. Hopefully, this puts an end to people hacking on his English.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Small sample sizes don't mean so much. That's the truth.

It would've been interesting to see Jesse's points if he'd stayed in the AHL for longer. Didn't he play the first set of games with almost no points, but then at about a ppg rate for the second half of the games.

Without trying to explain too much it's nothing unusual for a player to have some difficult games immediately after the disappointment of being dropped down from the NHL team. Dubois and Yamamoto can tell more about this.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really think we need a decent veteran Fin to play on this club. Koskienen maybe will help, but someone up front would be nice to help explain things to Jesse during and after the games

Orlov's comprehension of English is horrible, yet he plays a vital role on the Caps defense. Have to think that maybe Ovi has helped him out.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I’m hoping for a breakout season, but won’t be surprised if it doesn’t happen. Pulju needs to shorten his stick and a new tape job or his puck handling will keep suffering.

I think that by far the biggest issue with Jesse is his lack of intensity and reluctance to impose his will.
If he had half of Laines intensity (and desire to win at any cost) he would already be a good player.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I think that by far the biggest issue with Jesse is his lack of intensity and reluctance to impose his will.
If he had half of Laines intensity (and desire to win at any cost) he would already be a good player.

I agree Jesse should grow a beard

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I agree Jesse should grow a beard

Laine said he’s cutting his Gnome beard off when he gets back to Finland. Now he won’t look like an extra in Vikings anymore.

Seriously though, if JP can ratchet up his intensity and gain confidence, he could be a force. Confidence seems to be lacking in his game and it’s understandable at a young age in a foreign country. Once he gets confident in his game and abilities, his intensity level should follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad