Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missoil

Nov 20, 2016
Yeah...that a key part of this.
Can he?
Actually there was one Finnish interview when they asked Jesse's opinion about Laine's beard and he said that it's not very beautiful, and then he asked why him even has that beard. And added that he couldn't grow a beard like that

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Actually there was one Finnish interview when they asked Jesse's opinion about Laine's beard and he said that it's not very beautiful, and then he asked why him even has that beard. And added that he couldn't grow a beard like that

Not very beautiful...lol.
That is an understatement...Laines beard is one of the ugliest playoff beards ever IMO. :nod:

Reactions: Senor Catface

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
summer beer league :D Thye also mentioned that the other games have no ppl attending and when pulju is playing the place is "full" :P

So I guess the goal should be to play Pulju against lesser competition next season ;)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't think the issue is with Pulju's training, rather for the type of game he wants to play at the NHL he's still to weak as a 19 YO.

Drai had the same problem in his rookie year but fixed that going into his second. Though he had the advantage that he's built like a tank vs. Jessie, who just tall, and thus can be easily beaten through leverage.

His balence and lower core need to improve, but that'll come as he physically matures.

The 2 surgeries in the last 2 summers would explain some of that, now he's getting his 1st real offseason since draft and sounds like he is making adjustments to his equipment as well.

Just hoping Todd won't be throwing him around the lineup like crazy again and can give him some consistency and works with him, works on his confidence and not just Lucic's.

Reactions: PulYou and oobga

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The 2 surgeries in the last 2 summers would explain some of that, now he's getting his 1st real offseason since draft and sounds like he is making adjustments to his equipment as well.

Just hoping Todd won't be throwing him around the lineup like crazy again and can give him some consistency and works with him, works on his confidence and not just Lucic's.

Where did you hear the bolded?

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
I really hope they just trade Pulju. He seems to be in some kind of limbo at the Oilers, they have no clue on how to handle him. Some other team would suit his development better.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I really hope they just trade Pulju. He seems to be in some kind of limbo at the Oilers, they have no clue on how to handle him. Some other team would suit his development better.

Maybe just maybe there is some blame with Jesse as well? I am no fan of the coaching staff of the Oilers (well the remaining head coach I guess) however they can't learn English for Jesse, they can't compete on the ice for Jesse and they can't make Jesse give 100% every time that he's on the ice.

IMO there's blame to be had on both sides, Jesse needs to put in the work and swallow his pride. When the results come he will get quality ice time. Even as a huge fan of his I saw inconsistency in his game. The bottom line is that he needs to control what he can (offseason training, improving his English and keeping more of an even keeled approach). The rest is out of his control. If he just wants to pout because Aho and Laine are doing great, then he's well on his way to becoming the next Yakupov.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Maybe just maybe there is some blame with Jesse as well? I am no fan of the coaching staff of the Oilers (well the remaining head coach I guess) however they can't learn English for Jesse, they can't compete on the ice for Jesse and they can't make Jesse give 100% every time that he's on the ice.

IMO there's blame to be had on both sides, Jesse needs to put in the work and swallow his pride. When the results come he will get quality ice time. Even as a huge fan of his I saw inconsistency in his game. The bottom line is that he needs to control what he can (offseason training, improving his English and keeping more of an even keeled approach). The rest is out of his control. If he just wants to pout because Aho and Laine are doing great, then he's well on his way to becoming the next Yakupov.
I never said that it's all Oilers fault. There have been countless players who spoke little to no English when they came to the NHL but learned enough of it in a year or two's time. While Jesse has improved over the years, he really still seems to be struggling.

I just hope the best for him and the Oilers. The current situation is frustrating.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I never said that it's all Oilers fault. There have been countless players who spoke little to no English when they came to the NHL but learned enough of it in a year or two's time. While Jesse has improved over the years, he really still seems to be struggling.

I just hope the best for him and the Oilers. The current situation is frustrating.

I agree with you. I am not absolving the coach, far from it. I just hope that McLellan does what is best for Jesse and that Jesse does the best that he can to force Mclellan's hand into playing him more. If Jesse hits his potential we are a MUCH better team.

Reactions: Koijari

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I agree with you. I am not absolving the coach, far from it. I just hope that McLellan does what is best for Jesse and that Jesse does the best that he can to force Mclellan's hand into playing him more. If Jesse hits his potential we are a MUCH better team.

There’s a top 6 spot on Draisaitl or McDavid’s right side that’s his for the taking. He’s never going to have a better chance than now.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
There’s a top 6 spot on Draisaitl or McDavid’s right side that’s his for the taking. He’s never going to have a better chance than now.

He needs to come out and outplay Yamamoto this time. IMO Jesse needs to get off to a good start and hopefully Viveiros gets him on the PP and he can build off of that.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

giphy.gif

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Jesse's biggest obstacle is his own confidence. He clearly gets down on himself too much.

His run in November proved there was a good, complimentary offensive player there. I don't think he'll ever be a star, but if he's a 20 goal, 45 point guy that goes A LONG way to fixing the Oilers wings.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
We are forgetting the fact that he's a generational talent at standing in the back of interviews and milling about.

You can't teach that.

If you wanna see real Finnish generational talent you should watch Lauri Markkanen ( Finnish NBA player).
Markkanen was TOP5 rookie in NBA this past season and Puljujarvi is really close to be next Nail Yakupov.

Yes basketball and hockey are two different sport but still i won't call Puljujarvi a generational talent.
If some Finnish NHLer is generational talent it's Patrik Laine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad