Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
There's 10 good reasons why Kotkaniemi should go back to Finland rather than Laval.
Instead of telling you what are those 10 reasons, you can see all of them in one picture:

9d5700de-d1ba-4516-8ff8-740ca6d72887_TVASPORTS_WEB.jpg
I see 11 if you count the phone

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I disagree big time. Improving step by step is benefical and players can develop bad habits, more pressure by starting their career too early and they flop. There are many cases in many sports.

Pacioretty used to be a in a yo-yo between the NHL and AHL and the habs finally decided to keep him the AHL as a top player for a significant period anf it helped him get his confidence back. He admited that was the best thing for his career.

Plekanec came in as an overweight player with skating issues for his size. He played significant time in the AHL and he improved a lot during these years and when he finally played in the NHL he was very mature and a way better player.

Playing a kid early could have a huge impact in his development and we have been burned in the past.
He was there for all of 27 games...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This idea that he needs to play in Laval to get used to NA ice doesn't make sense to me. Are people saying Elias Pettersson and Miro Heiskanen are worse today because they didn't taste a NHL training camp last year? If he goes back to Finland he's going to show up next year and adapt instantly. It's not going to have any bearing on the rest of his career.
Firstly...no one said this.

Secondly...Heiskanen actually came to North America to participate in the Stars rookie camp and he was slated to attend the Stars camp but he got injured, so the Stars decided to send him back. If not for that injury, he would of went to the Stars main camp and likely have played for their AHL team this past year.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
There's 10 good reasons why Kotkaniemi should go back to Finland rather than Laval.
Instead of telling you what are those 10 reasons, you can see all of them in one picture:

He doesn't seem fazed at all, to be honest. And it's once again case by case.

Some players will feel pressure and crumble while some players will feel pressure and thrive.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

There will be just as much microphones in front of him next year and the year after and really, any time. As long as he's a member of the Montreal Canadiens, media is something he's going to have to learn to deal with.

Reactions: Redux91

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
He was there for all of 27 games...
In his first 2 years in the AHL, Max would play some games in the AHL then move up to the NHL and play on a 4th line. He would be bounced back constantly. It was ridiculous.

The 3rd year, he only played 27 games but they finally stopped doing yo-yo with him and only moved him up to play on the top 6.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
In his first 2 years in the AHL, Max would play some games in the AHL then move up to the NHL and play on a 4th line. He would be bounced back constantly. It was ridiculous.

The 3rd year, he only played 27 games but they finally stopped doing yo-yo with him and only moved him up to play on the top 6.
Agreed but in the post I quoted you said the Habs "finally decided to leave him there for significant period and his confidence grew".

27 games isn't exactly significant.

The reason why Pacioretty got success after that last callup was because the team finally decided to use him in a role that suited him, a top 6 role, he got minutes, played the PP and played with legitimate NHL top 6 players.

I don't think he went on to have the career he had because he played 27 straight AHL games.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Agreed but in the post I quoted you said the Habs "finally decided to leave him there for significant period and his confidence grew".

The reason why Pacioretty got success after that last callup was because the team finally decided to use him in a role that suited him, a top 6 role, he got minutes, played the PP and played with legitimate NHL top 6 players.

I don't think he went on to have the career he had because he played 27 straight AHL games.
It definately builded up his confidence. He was by that point labelled a bust by some habs faithful after his 2nd year.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

It's not only opportunities man! Coaches are not dumb, you can shine and show things while playing 6 minutes a night on a 4th line!

You can't hide skill and abilities.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Firstly...no one said this.

Secondly...Heiskanen actually came to North America to participate in the Stars rookie camp and he was slated to attend the Stars camp but he got injured, so the Stars decided to send him back. If not for that injury, he would of went to the Stars main camp and likely have played for their AHL team this past year.
Some people strongly believe he needs to get used to NA ice, yet here are two players who didn't and are top 5 prospects. The adaptation will happen quickly either way, whether he's in Laval or Finland.

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
He doesn't seem fazed at all, to be honest. And it's once again case by case.

Some players will feel pressure and crumble while some players will feel pressure and thrive.

No he doesn't right now, but let's face it, this will be a very different story if he get those microphones in his face after 10 games where he didn't do shit in Lava and he has to answer the dumbest questions on earth days in and days out.

There will be just as much microphones in front of him next year and the year after and really, any time. As long as he's a member of the Montreal Canadiens, media is something he's going to have to learn to deal with.

Not in finland.
He's a kid, let him develop away from MTL's medias crows. When he'll be ready to jump in the NHL, then it comes with the territory but right now, he'll be better off in his hometown with his family and friends instead of here dealing with the pressure of the MTL media.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It definately builded up his confidence. He was by that point labelled a bust by some habs faithful after his 2nd year.
Kotkaniemi was called a bust by some Habs faithful after 1 development camp scrimmage period....

I do agree with the point you raised about the yoyo'ing the organization did with him early on.

And if the Habs were to do the same thing with Kotkaniemi because of his proximity, agreed, send him to Finland now.

But if they can learn from previous mistakes, entrust their prize prospect with their prized offseason coaching acquisition and leave him there all year, good or bad. Then I think it can/should pay off more than 1yr playing in Finland would.

But that's just my opinion...I know what Joel Bouchard is known for, I have no freaking clue about his coach in Pori Michael Kotkaniemi or how their team has handled the development of NHL bound players before.

There's more unknown with sending him back there and i'm not of the belief that dominating the FEL or being a PPG, means automatic NHL success.

Reactions: Habs Icing

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not in finland.
He's a kid, let him develop away from MTL's medias crows. When he'll be ready to jump in the NHL, then it comes with the territory but right now, he'll be better off in his hometown with his family and friends instead of here dealing with the pressure of the MTL media.
Ok fair enough - but what will he learn, in Finland, to teach him how to better deal with the obsessive Montreal media???

Notice, this is a kid who yesterday during warmups...didn't even know what to do while the rest of the team was warming up.

He had never even seen a fight in his life before last night.

What will he be exposed to in another year in Finland, that he was never exposed too the 17yrs prior to this one?

Again, i'm not trying to crap on Pori/Finland, i'm sure there's a lot he can learn from staying there another year and I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea.

But i've yet to see an argument that really holds, other than having a lighter schedule means he can dedicate more time to getting stronger. That's something tangible that I can agree with.

But saying that he's going to be more prepared to deal with the Montreal media at 19yrs old compared to 18yrs old seems far fetched to me.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
No he doesn't right now, but let's face it, this will be a very different story if he get those microphones in his face after 10 games where he didn't do **** in Lava and he has to answer the dumbest questions on earth days in and days out.

Bouchard can just make him not available for the press and it ends there.

But let's be serious here, did you watch him out there last night? He was one of the best players on the ice, he will produce in the AHL there's no doubt in my mind!

Honestly, I don't care where he plays this season, I just don't understand the drama if he ends in Laval. He'll be fine.

He's been already playing against men and he was not killed...

Reactions: 417

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Edmonton moved Pulju around too much and never tried to build his confidence, instead they messed up with it.
Starts in the NHL, gets benched for mistakes, sees press box for mistakes, plays here and there 8mins per game, and then after the 2nd half starts gets send to AHL.

If Kotka stays in NA they should avoid that tactic.

Kotka has a better controll of his frame than Pulju though, it's what Pulju has really struggled with.
You're talking about the Habs he could go from top line center to fourth line in two games, not much better than the Oilers ( even if I must admit Edmonton was a mess at developing their prospects for a long time)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
You're talking about the Habs he could go from top line center to fourth line in two games, not much better than the Oilers ( even if I must admit Edmonton was a mess at developing their prospects for a long time)

Montreal's center depth and Edmonton's winger depth are very comparable. Even if RNH plays wing this season (and Drai is at center) you're looking at a winger group of RNH, Aberg, Lucic, Rattie, Kassian, Rieder, Puljuarvi, etc. That's a terrible winger group.

Montreal is in the exact same position to screw around with Kotkaniemi the way Edmonton screwed around with Puljuarvi.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Including the player himself.

If the adaptation will happen quickly, then why delay it another year?

He could barely initiate a breakout at developmental camp. Look at him now. If he were as strong as Hishier was at 18 he'd be ready to be a NHL player.

My point isn't that he shouldn't be in the AHL, more that getting used to NA ice is something that's going to happen quickly either way. Canuck fans aren't worried about Pettersson's and Dahlen's slow adaptation, because it isn't a thing.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He could barely initiate a breakout at developmental camp. Look at him now. If he were as strong as Hishier was at 18 he'd be ready to be a NHL player.
Might of had to do with the players he was trying to initiate the breakout with...

My point isn't that he shouldn't be in the AHL, more that getting used to NA ice is something that's going to happen quickly either way. Canuck fans aren't worried about Pettersson's and Dahlen's slow adaptation, because it isn't a thing.
So you expect them to be impact players right away then?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
i was glad Kot scored a goal, just so i could come on here and read all the rediculous comments about how one pre-season goal will hail him as our next franchise hero and saviour.....Kot with an easy 40+ goals in his rookie season, this kid will put matthews and hughes to shame!....just look at the goal he scored in his first game against a split team of rookies and a backup goalie! what a hero!! :rolleyes:

One pre-season goal, (insurance goal not GTG or GWG hardly anoints anyone as hero) Matthews has shown ability already in the NHL, Hughes Quinn, Jack or Luke haven't played a regular season game like Kotkaneimi. Read my comment again, see where it says anything like what you read into it. Comprehension is needed when being a critic, am I missing anything? Jesperi played a good game for a rookie center #3 OV pick for the Habs at the Bell Centre. This bodes well for his future, the pressure these kids have to endure is immense, extra pressure exerted upon them for producing is unnecessary IMHO.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
One pre-season goal, (insurance goal not GTG or GWG hardly anoints anyone as hero) Matthews has shown ability already in the NHL, Hughes Quinn, Jack or Luke haven't played a regular season game like Kotkaneimi. Read my comment again, see where it says anything like what you read into it. Comprehension is needed when being a critic, am I missing anything? Jesperi played a good game for a rookie center #3 OV pick for the Habs at the Bell Centre. This bodes well for his future, the pressure these kids have to endure is immense, extra pressure exerted upon them for producing is unnecessary IMHO.

my comment wasn't really directed at you in particular.....just a comment in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad