Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Look at Puljujarvi, he should have stayed one more year in Finland before making the jump in North America.

Sebastian Aho definately benefited from dominating in Finland before joining the Hurricanes.

Teravainen also took proper time to develop.

We have to be careful with the kid and make sure he dominate at one level before making the step to the next level. It's all about progression.

Agreed. If we learned anything with Price, we need to stop putting players on a pedestal. Kotkaniemi is one fine good young hockey player. Let him grow at his pace and another year in Finland is what I prefer. Like I said before, not dead set against Laval but if he gets hurt, this affects hid development big time. He could also get hurt in Finland but he does know that league and style of play very well. Were talking about a very good young hockey player who had 29 pts in 57 games. Lets let him improve on this and play center for the first time in that league.

Playing in the AHL as a 18 year old is not easy people. It's premature to throw him in that situation.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Look at Puljujarvi, he should have stayed one more year in Finland before making the jump in North America.

Sebastian Aho definately benefited from dominating in Finland before joining the Hurricanes.

Sebastian Aho dominated in Finland, and he's been excellent in the NHL...why would you think had he come to the AHL post-draft that things would of been different?

How have you reached the conclusion that that extra year in his Draft +1yr is why he's so good now?

Puljarvi put up 28pts in 39 AHL games the year after his draft, I don't think his issue was graduating to the AHL following his draft year.

There's no telling how each of their development would of gone had they taken different paths.

Joel Armia was a pretty standout player in Finland in his draft year, he went back another year and had somewhat of a regression, at least statistically. That extra year in Finland didn't help him when he eventually came to North America, he himself said it took him awhile to get adjusted to the North American game in the AHL.

Teemu Pulkkinen had 54pts in 55 games in his draft year, he stayed in Finland 2 more years and his numbers never came close to that again, he eventually came to North America, he's been a dominant player in the AHL but he's still not able to carve himself an NHL spot .

So while you dismiss this "North America acclimatization" as something that doesn't exist...Kotkaniemi himself has talked about this being a very real thing for him.

Every player is different...what was good for Aho, doesn't necessarily mean that's whats good for Kotkaniemi.

Only Kotkaniemi's play should determine where he plays this coming year...not Aho, not Puljarvi, not Pulkkinen, not Armia. If we play the comparison game, we can each come up with 100 names that support each of our stances, so that's pointless.

We have to be careful with the kid and make sure he dominate at one level before making the step to the next level. It's all about progression.

Cases like Laine and Barkov are different because when they played in North America they already showed that they were above the level in Finland.
Yes, we do have to be careful...and I don't think i've said otherwise.

But I also don't think that dominating in Finland is necessarily a precursor to a successful NHL career. There are so many factors at play here and I think you're just focusing on one.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't see any RNH in him at all.

He is more like Barkov lite.

He did say poor man's RNH. Smells like massive devalue attempts to me. To be honest, I have no idea how good Kotkaniemi will be. But looking at his offensive skills, size, and his shot, I believe we got a very good prospect at center. It's on him to fill in, develop, and adapt to the NHL over the next few years

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Kotkaniemi's a natural. There's a bit of awkwardness in him, but at the same time he seems to do the right things instinctively and effortlessly. Can't help it, he reminds me of a young Sundin (whatever I like to dream sometimes). He's got the tools and the toolbox. He definitely has the high hockey sense and IQ to tag along his puck skills. Center position? He won't "need to learn it", he just "gets it". Not saying he's already great at it, just saying it feels like he already understands how to play the position efficiently.

He's a little rough on the edges, but if he is committed, there's no doubt a year or two of smart polishing will turn him into a hell of a player. No rush needed, just slow and steady, intelligent development. Very exciting prospect.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Cases like Laine and Barkov are different because when they played in North America they already showed that they were above the level in Finland.

Edmonton moved Pulju around too much and never tried to build his confidence, instead they messed up with it.
Starts in the NHL, gets benched for mistakes, sees press box for mistakes, plays here and there 8mins per game, and then after the 2nd half starts gets send to AHL.

If Kotka stays in NA they should avoid that tactic.

Kotka has a better controll of his frame than Pulju though, it's what Pulju has really struggled with.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

All these comparisons are useless IMO. All the players are different and they don't necessarily develop at the same pace or have the same qualities.

Just because you can find a player that struggled in the AHL as an 18-year-old it shouldn't be some sort of rule.

Reactions: 417

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Edmonton moved Pulju around too much and never tried to build his confidence, instead they messed up with it.
Starts in the NHL, gets benched for mistakes, sees press box for mistakes, plays here and there 8mins per game, and then after the 2nd half starts gets send to AHL.

Kotka has a better controll of his frame than Pulju though, it's what Pulju has really struggled with.
And that is exactly what scare me with playing him in the AHL.

We are talking about Montreal you can bet there will be tons of pressure to play the kid in the NHL at some point. Not to mention the possible negative cloud that will be all over the city if the habs are near the bottom.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
All these comparisons are useless IMO. All the players are different and they don't necessarily develop at the same pace or have the same qualities.

Just because you can find a player that struggled in the AHL as an 18-year-old it shouldn't be some sort of rule.
There is no rule, every player is different the only constant I have seen is that when you play in Montreal at an early age you get bad habit. Latendresse, Galchenyuk were seen as the next savior and both failed. I do think thay by playing away from Montreal and by gradually improve their game the results would have been different.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
It's been a long wait for such a 200 ft. Center with his Hockey IQ and scoring abilities playmaking & shooting. Go Habs Go!!!...:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::devdance::devdance::devdance::walrus::walrus::walrus:

Reactions: Redux91

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
And that is exactly what scare me with playing him in the AHL.

We are talking about Montreal you can bet there will be tons of pressure to play the kid in the NHL at some point. Not to mention the possible negative cloud that will be all over the city if the habs are near the bottom.

If he stays there there's a good chance they'll give him games at the start of season, if that happens it shouldn't be for more than 9 games and not call him back up again.
He needs consistency.

You can find examples of both cases. Chytil and Pasta played ahl right away and dominated. I'm no longer afraid of the AHL because we have Bouchard instead of that ****ing idiot.

Boston started Pasta in the AHL where he kept building his confidence.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
There is no rule, every player is different the only constant I have seen is that when you play in Montreal at an early age you get bad habit. Latendresse, Galchenyuk were seen as the next savior and both failed. I do think thay by playing away from Montreal and by gradually improve their game the results would have been different.

This tells you more about the players themselves than anything else IMO.

Did you ever hear anything shady about Gallagher? He started his career with the Habs extremely young also... Basically from CHL to NHL.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Really? I’d say that is the one thing the Poolparty has Kotka beat by most. Kotkaniemis biggest weakness is his physical awkwardness- the hope is he gets by that with strength and skating coaching. Pool on the other hand is almost Malkin like in how he moves on the ice.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You can find examples of both cases. Chytil and Pasta played ahl right away and dominated. I'm no longer afraid of the AHL because we have Bouchard instead of that ****ing idiot.

I hope so. Is anyone still saying that our development program is a sinkhole? Those days are gone, as you rightly point out.

Reactions: The Great Schlemko

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
If the AHL is less goonish than it used to be, I think that would be a great option then-perhaps the best.

Regardless, Kotkaniemi is looking much closer than originally thought. He and Poehling should be locks for 2019-2020.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Did you ever hear anything shady about Gallagher? He started his career with the Habs extremely young also... Basically from CHL to NHL.
He climbed the ladder. WHL(2 years) ->AHL-> NHL

He had half a year in the AHL prior to play in the NHL and there was huge pressure to start him at 19 years old in which, thank god, the habs decided not to.

Every top talent unless generational should start at around 20 years old.

Montreal is a pressure cooker it's not Arizona or Carolina if you do good you are the best if you do bad you are a flop/bust and all other crap. It would be great for the kid to develop further away from this mess.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

I agree. I don’t think how prospects are “handled” has anywhere near the impact folks think it does. Either you’re a player or you aren’t.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Really? I’d say that is the one thing the Poolparty has Kotka beat by most. Kotkaniemis biggest weakness is his physical awkwardness- the hope is he gets by that with strength and skating coaching. Pool on the other hand is almost Malkin like in how he moves on the ice.

That's what's been Puljust issue post draft, he looks awkward and a 6'4 guy who has problems with his coordination, his puck controll hasn't been that great.
Lot of bouncing pucks and missed shots.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He climbed the ladder. WHL(2 years) ->AHL-> NHL

He had half a year in the AHL prior to play in the NHL and there was huge pressure to start him at 19 years old in which, thank god, the habs decided not to.

Every top talent unless generational should start at around 20 years old.

Montreal is a pressure cooker it's not Arizona or Carolina if you do good you are the best if you do bad you are a flop/bust and all other crap. It would be great for the kid to develop further away from this mess.
The only reason Gallagher played in the AHL is that there was a lockout!

I'm pretty sure he would've made the team out of camp.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
It's been a long wait for such a 200 ft. Center with his Hockey IQ and scoring abilities playmaking & shooting. Go Habs Go!!!...:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::devdance::devdance::devdance::walrus::walrus::walrus:

i was glad Kot scored a goal, just so i could come on here and read all the rediculous comments about how one pre-season goal will hail him as our next franchise hero and saviour.....Kot with an easy 40+ goals in his rookie season, this kid will put matthews and hughes to shame!....just look at the goal he scored in his first game against a split team of rookies and a backup goalie! what a hero!! :rolleyes:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
That's what's been Puljust issue post draft, he looks awkward and a 6'4 guy who has problems with his coordination, his puck controll hasn't been that great.
Lot of bouncing pucks and missed shots.
Oh you mean coordination with their hands? Then I agree. But in terms of body coordination, I give a significant edge to Pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad