Proposal: (EDM/CBJ) Campbell Ekholm for Merzlikins Provorov

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
2 x truisms in this thread.

1. Edmonton won't trade Ekholm
2. No one will take Campbell without massive sweeteners (multiple 1st round picks)

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Ekholm has been here for a fraction of the time as most of the team and most Oiler fans want him to retire here now.

It’s not close.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
No way EDM does this and I'm a CBJ fan. I also don't think Columbus moves Elvis to take back another bad goalie on a bad contract for the same length. The idea for the CBJ (likely EDM too) is to remove the bad goalie and upgrade. Neither team does that here and Ekholm for Provorov is a clear win for CBJ. Just not a good fit. I also think if CBJ is moving Provorov (certainly they will at some point next year) it's to allow a younger d-man to play (ie. Mateychuck or Svozil or someone like that)... OR... they have another d-man to bring into the long term core that fits the age and need for the team (young vet with experience for extended term - re-sign or already on term).

Just not a good fit or value in my opinion.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
2 x truisms in this thread.

1. Edmonton won't trade Ekholm
2. No one will take Campbell without massive sweeteners (multiple 1st round picks)

I know you love to come into Campbell threads and toss around your multiple 1st round picks. That doesn't need to happen. Not now, not ever. He will be bought out if the price to dump him is as unreasonable as you say.

I get that Campbell completely stunk it up when he was last up here, but he appears to have turned his game, somewhat around in the AHL. If Cal Peterson can get traded without any retention for a 1st, 2nd and some retention on another player, Campbell with retention shouldn't require multiple 1st round picks. But I don't think we ever find out his trade value as he will be bought out instead.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I know you love to come into Campbell threads and toss around your multiple 1st round picks. That doesn't need to happen. Not now, not ever. He will be bought out if the price to dump him is as unreasonable as you say.

I get that Campbell completely stunk it up when he was last up here, but he appears to have turned his game, somewhat around in the AHL. If Cal Peterson can get traded without any retention for a 1st, 2nd and some retention on another player, Campbell with retention shouldn't require multiple 1st round picks. But I don't think we ever find out his trade value as he will be bought out instead.
Let’s agree that he will be bought out because no GM would trade for him with the intent to play him.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Someone actually wanting Elvis Merzlikins, which is Latvian for "show of shit" is really difficult to believe, but then again this is the same franchise that signed Jack Campbell to a 5x5 entirely willingly.
Losing Ekholm would compromise whatever defensive integrity Edmonton still has.
You could actually see both Merzlikins and Campbell with untradeable contracts after Holland works his magic.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
to Edmonton Oilers
Elvis Merzlikins (3y @ $5.4000m)
Ivan Provorov (1y @ $4.7250m)
total cap = $10.1250m (open $0.8750m)
important note = Edmonton cap dumps Skinner to 3rd team after

to Columbus Blue Jackets
Jack Campbell (3y @ $5.0000m)
Mattias Ekholm (2y @ $6.0000m)
total cap = $11.0000m (add $0.8750m)
important note = Columbus trades Ekholm to playoff team after

Edmonton reasoning:
Edmonton does NOT want to move Ekholm AT ALL, but they aren't going to be able to win a cup with their goaltending situation.

There is no question in my mind their "goaltending situation" is better with Stuart Skinner and Calvin Packard than it would be with Ekholm gone and Merzlikinis backing up Skinner.

It seems like they are booting a good and needed defenseman in order to bring in a spotty goaltender who definitely isn't an upgrade on Skinner.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Blackwood has had ups and downs in his career due to injury, but he's also been pretty good when healthy. His numbers are reflective of playing for bad teams, but he has the tools. I'm not sure who else to pair with Skinner who could realistically be available, who would be more solid to play 40 games than Blackwood. It's not like we have a shot at getting an Ullmark or Markstrom.

I was pretty high on Blackwood for a long time, mostly due to fantasy hockey (lol) but the problems he has is the same issue with Skinner. The highs are great, but the lows are crippling. I think it makes sense to find more of a "Steady Eddy" kinda goalie. Not necessarily someone who will steal games, but someone who rarely loses you them.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I was pretty high on Blackwood for a long time, mostly due to fantasy hockey (lol) but the problems he has is the same issue with Skinner. The highs are great, but the lows are crippling. I think it makes sense to find more of a "Steady Eddy" kinda goalie. Not necessarily someone who will steal games, but someone who rarely loses you them.
The problem with that, is that steadiness is what makes guys into starters, and there's probably only 10 - 15 of those in the league right now. Of those, the ones available won't be available to Edmonton (ie, Calgary would never trade Markstrom to Edmonton, Ullmark is rumoured to want to play in the East only, etc).

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Merzilkings declines, he doesn't want his career ruined. Edmonton is a goalie graveyard, what goalie would want to go there?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Here's what happens instead.

Edmonton and Columbus both buy out their goalies.*

Provorov gets traded.**

Ekholm stays in Edmonton where he's been super valuable. Stop galaxy braining the Campbell situation.

*(Merzlikins wasn't even bad this year but they are way overdue to move on).

** Provorov is a fine middle pair guy who I'd say is medium at both ends but Columbus wants to give those minutes to a shutdown D, someone like Brenden Dillon. They already have the non shutdown roles occupied. Does Edmonton want Provorov? I think he'd be a good fit but they should probably add at RD not LD.

Reactions: cslebn

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Edmonton would be sending a massive sweetener to make that happen.
The only reason merzlinkins isn't in the AHL is because the blue jackets are horrible and aren't competing for anything anytime soon the Oilers aren't good add anything just to add a higher priced AHL caliber goalie.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The only reason merzlinkins isn't in the AHL is because the blue jackets are horrible and aren't competing for anything anytime soon the Oilers aren't good add anything just to add a higher priced AHL caliber goalie.

Elvis was a smidge below NHL average save percentage this year, backstopping a much worse defensive team.

This is not a comment on the trade proposal.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
yes, Oilers should trade their best defenceman for spare parts. Oh man....lol.

I don't want Provorov anywhere near this team. Pretty sure Hyman & McDavid don't want him either.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
No way EDM does this and I'm a CBJ fan. I also don't think Columbus moves Elvis to take back another bad goalie on a bad contract for the same length. The idea for the CBJ (likely EDM too) is to remove the bad goalie and upgrade. Neither team does that here and Ekholm for Provorov is a clear win for CBJ. Just not a good fit. I also think if CBJ is moving Provorov (certainly they will at some point next year) it's to allow a younger d-man to play (ie. Mateychuck or Svozil or someone like that)... OR... they have another d-man to bring into the long term core that fits the age and need for the team (young vet with experience for extended term - re-sign or already on term).

Just not a good fit or value in my opinion.
I agree there is no way Edmonton trades Ekholm, and I understand not wanting to take back a bad contract. From CBJ perspective I just want Elvis to move on. Remaining contract is very similar to Campbell's. I'm not saying it is the trade I want to see, but it is an option. They could plan to go with Tarasov in net with Campbell as back-up. If he stinks buy him out next year (which would only count against cap for 4 years rather than 6). I really don't expect Columbus to push for playoffs next year, or to spend to the cap. As far as a goalie upgrade, I don't see them wanting to give up the assets in trade that it would take to bring in a guy like Ullmark. Also don't see them throwing big money at a FA goalie with where they are in the rebuild. So maybe shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic is an ok short term option to help change culture in the room.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
If I'm Columbus I do this trade but I'd also be considering buying out Merzlikins. I think he's pretty close to negative value if he's not there already.

So you'd be saving money on the buyout while getting a significant upgrade on D

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Campbell is going to be bought out, I can't imagine anyone would take a chance on him at that contract at this point. Ekholm is too damn good to trade.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You had me at Ekholm; I would commit crimes to get him in union blue. But there's no way in hell Edmonton would go for it and frankly they shouldn't. There are better ways for them to resolve their goaltending situation without sacrificing him.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Just trade Campbell for Elvis. Balance with minor pieces, but no need to include Ekholm or Provorov.
Columbus would never EVER do this.

Merzlikins is an struggling NHL goalie who can rebound. Not even overpaid if he rebounds.
Campbell is an AHL goalie making almost the same cap and term.

No team is doing a swap like that without being given something else that's very good in the trade.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and Viqsi

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Columbus would never EVER do this.

Merzlikins is an struggling NHL goalie who can rebound. Not even overpaid if he rebounds.
Campbell is an AHL goalie making almost the same cap and term.

No team is doing a swap like that without being given something else that's very good in the trade.
That seems a bit hypocritical.
What possible reason is there as for why Merzlikins can rebound yet Campbell can't?
It's simply disingenuous to say that Campbell is an AHL-goalie when he hasn't been playing down there up until this season for years.

Campbell sucked last year, though he should have been given more of a chance in the playoffs when Skinner failed, as Campbell looked good when coming in in relief, This year, the Oilers had a horrible start, with McDavid and Ekholm both struggling with injuries. Campbell got demoted, even though he was the sligthly less atrocious of the two goalies at that point. And he never got a chance to show whether he was back to form afterwards, while Skinner got to play in front of a team that actually performed well and thus looked quite decent in net again. Campbell simply didn't get a fair shot this year to show whether he was any better than last year.

Merzlikins, meanwhile, was even worse than Campbell last year, and this year was somewhat okay. There is zero reason for Columbus to switch a goalie who has been struggling for one who has been struggling and who they have even less of an idea how he would perform in the NHL right now, but that's the extend of it. Your claims beyond that are not backed up by any facts whatsoever. Campbell had a very good year as a 1B in 18/19, a decent one as a backup in 19/20, a very good one as a backup in 20/21, a mixed season with a very strong beginning and bad end in 21/22, and a bad year in 22/23. None of that makes him an "AHL-goalie", just because the Oilers dumped him when they struggled. In fact, the last three seasons before this one, the two had very similar roles each year, and every season Campbell fared a bit better than Merzlikins.

I certainly wouldn't take Campbell's current contract off the Oilers' hands, because the risks just outweight the possible reward, but your claims are still way over the top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad