Jeff Petry development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Money has little to do with this whole issue. This is one of these 'MacT makes up his mind quickly about players' things. He watches guys a time or two, sees them have a bad or good game and voila he has made up his mind. Petry was out of the picture by the end of last year. This player will simply be in the long list of players traded at their low value either due to play or contract term when any team with a real plan would proactively trade guys not part of the plan when they had good value.

yep.

1. Petry
2. Schultz
3. Eakins

He, himself, admitted that, when scouting Klefbom for the first time, after observing just 3 shifts he'd seen enough: yep, he's gonna be a good one.

Turns out, he could be right on this one, but you would think a GM would at least watch one full game of a player (actually, more like 2 or 3 games, really) before deciding on a player's career path/potential.

Again, smartest-guy-in-the-room syndrome. the whole organization is infested with this disease.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
If Petry plays like he did last night (with some meanness), I'd like to see him stay.

He needs to do that much more consistently. Not just 1 in 10 games.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
(Truck ads stink)

I am not a massive fan of petry but he is a bonifide NHL player with some skills who would be more effective if handled a bit different. As for him resigning that ship has long since sailed. It's just a matter of what we get for him now.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If Petry plays like he did last night (with some meanness), I'd like to see him stay.

We'll probably see more grit from him once he goes to a good team, and away from the suck (just look at Perron's change in production)

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
We'll probably see more grit from him once he goes to a good team, and away from the suck (just look at Perron's change in production)

I think your Petry comment could change with the Oilers. The team as a whole wants to play for their coach it seems.

Perron. We'll have to see next year. He was let go by the Blues for some reason, and you saw what he did the 1st year here in Edmonton. Let's see how he does next year to get a better read on that subject.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield

What would you offer to him. I think that all the cards are in Petry's hand. Nothing indicates that he wants to stay. 5M a year and he may start listening

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield

You are right. He should have been extended in the last summer. MacT should be fired. He really cannot do asset management.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
What would you offer to him. I think that all the cards are in Petry's hand. Nothing indicates that he wants to stay. 5M a year and he may start listening

I stay away from assessing how much money should be offered or what the players make.

I try to maintain my childhood view of hockey players (how they play) and leave the money business to people that would rather talk money business.

I know it's a big part of player acquisition and to retain players, but I find it's not worth posting about because there are so many differing view points on the subject. Anything I say about salary will be refuted and most likely proven incorrect anyways.

It's a weakness of mine. That's why I leave all the bills and accounting crap to my wife, who is real good at that stuff.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I stay away from assessing how much money should be offered or what the players make.

I try to maintain my childhood view of hockey players (how they play) and leave the money business to people that would rather talk money business.

I know it's a big part of player acquisition and to retain players, but I find it's not worth posting about because there are so many differing view points on the subject. Anything I say about salary will be refuted and most likely proven incorrect anyways.

It's a weakness of mine. That's why I leave all the bills and accounting crap to my wife, who is real good at that stuff.

I understand you. I just think that money is an issue in Petry's case. Otherwise he would have been signed long term in the last summer.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I understand you. I just think that money is an issue in Petry's case. Otherwise he would have been signed long term in the last summer.

Money is one issue, I'd also say the lack of respect/support he gets is another.

Guy rarely gets credit. All summer the guys that were going to change this team were Fayne, Nikitin and future Norris Trophy candidate Justin Schultz.

Oil didn't do themselves any favours with Nikitin signing. You give him that kinda of deal what do you expect from you current longest game played vet on the back end?

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Money is one issue, I'd also say the lack of respect/support he gets is another.

Guy rarely gets credit. All summer the guys that were going to change this team were Fayne, Nikitin and future Norris Trophy candidate Justin Schultz.

Oil didn't do themselves any favours with Nikitin signing. You give him that kinda of deal what do you expect from you current longest game played vet on the back end?

You are right. MacT should be fired. He speaks too much about Norris candidates, bold moves, being impatient... Another mistake was to bring Eakins here. Under Kruger Petry developed well and could have taken the step to the next level... If I was Petry I would try somewhere else.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
I must say Petry has looked REALLY good the last two months. The skill was always there but he's been playing with 2 attributes that were rare for him: Consistency and aggressiveness. How much of this has to do with Eakins vs Nelson? Or is it because he's playing for a contract? Or is it because he's approaching that 300 game mark in the NHL where Dmen finally find consistency? Whatever it is- losing him will be a huge blow to our d corps

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
I dare say most NHL Defensemen have not faced tougher comp in their 300 game maturation processes.. somehow Petry is seemingly emerging despite being overused in TOI and against top comp.. it looks like, knock on wood, he's going to be the better for it

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
There are only 2 reasons I will accept him not returning next season.

1) He wasn't going to sign here for anything. He wants out, and there was no possible way to convince him otherwise.

2) He wants a Phaneuf contract.

If we can keep him here so Klefbom can continue to grow in a secondary role, it will be huge for next year and beyond.

Unless we magically have a better option coming via trade, Petry resigned has to be a top priority.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
There are only 2 reasons I will accept him not returning next season.

1) He wasn't going to sign here for anything. He wants out, and there was no possible way to convince him otherwise.

2) He wants a Phaneuf contract.

If we can keep him here so Klefbom can continue to grow in a secondary role, it will be huge for next year and beyond.

Unless we magically have a better option coming via trade, Petry resigned has to be a top priority.

I think that it is extremely difficult to sign him. Giving him a one year deal last summer that makes him 5th in dman salaries. I think that it takes more than money to keep him here like firing MacT

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
I think that it is extremely difficult to sign him. Giving him a one year deal last summer that makes him 5th in dman salaries. I think that it takes more than money to keep him here like firing MacT

He isn't going to sign here for anything...atleast he isn't now. I think the writing was on the wall for him when he signed his last contract. They could have sent him a different message that he was part of the team moving forward but they did not. Many people have been extremely critical of him over time but this is why we have experts that work for the team evaluating players at an intimate level to see if they will become players in this league.

I'm not an NHL pro scout, these guys ought to know more than me :dunno:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Before I would've said he'd be gone without question — the team didn't want him to commit to him, and I doubt he wanted to remain here under Eakins. However with the culture change around the team, perhaps (PERHAPS!) that can change his desire towards staying.

However the other side in the negotiations then also needs to change their tune, something I have a very hard time seeing MacT do...

Le sigh

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Mac T is far too stubborn to fix this. The only way it gets done is if he feels it would impact his job stability. Mac T can't admit mistakes

Timo

May 23, 2007
Edmonton
It's well known that Petry wants out. its been common knowledge for a couple years now.

MacT actually wanted a long term deal last year, but Petry wanted only 1, as he knew it would be his best way out without being made a villain.

Let's just get what we can for him and wish him well. He's going to be solid for years to come!

Yzlamic Preacher*

So I was just thinking of three way trade to put up on the main boards, but I wanted to get your guys input first. How would you feel about Pavelec and a pick for Petry?

Work in progress

Tampa - Petry
Edmonton - Pavelec+ Third from Tampa
Winnipeg - Sustr

I have no idea whether this appeals or not to you. Just spit balling essentially. Any input would be appreciated.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
So I was just thinking of three way trade to put up on the main boards, but I wanted to get your guys input first. How would you feel about Pavelec and a pick for Petry?

Work in progress

Tampa - Petry
Edmonton - Pavelec+ Third from Tampa
Winnipeg - Sustr

I have no idea whether this appeals or not to you. Just spit balling essentially. Any input would be appreciated.

Oilers loose hard

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Will you be willing to move one of Fasth or Scriven with Petry and get Sustr, a second and a third?

Many of us are still hoping for a 1st if other D like Franson and Sekera are reportedly going to cost that much. If the Oilers would be willing to sell Petry off for a run of the mill prospect and a 2nd or 3rd I am sure he'd already be traded. Near any team would be ok offering that up for him.

Also we have a trade proposal thread for questions like this.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Before I would've said he'd be gone without question — the team didn't want him to commit to him, and I doubt he wanted to remain here under Eakins. However with the culture change around the team, perhaps (PERHAPS!) that can change his desire towards staying.

However the other side in the negotiations then also needs to change their tune, something I have a very hard time seeing MacT do...

Le sigh

MacT was not ready play his cards to the end. Rebuilding consistently means locking up homegrown good assets long term and surround them with solid UFA veterans. I really think his " impatience" is working against the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad