Jeff Petry development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Jeff Petry should be traded

Injuries within the big club has damaged the development of Jeff Petry. He is not a every day NHLer yet. I would have given him just 25-30 games within the big club and let him play big minutes in OKC against touch opposition PP and PK time in the first units.

Next year we need to make sure that same thing is not happening with Teurbert who needs one more season in AHL. We need to make it sure we have enough depth dmen in the system.

I am also wondering why guys like Plante and Teubert has been called up instead of Chorney who has at least a little bit NHL experience(or we have not traded for a decent dman). It is really coming to my mind that Tambo and the rest of the management are loosing by intentionally to get a chance to suck lottery balls one more time. :(

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Because Teubert and Plante can be sent down without clearing waivers. And I'd argue that the NHL has improved Petry's development more than anything. He's currently about a 4/5 offensive defenseman and his main flaw right now is between his ears. Playing against weaker opponents won't help him to think the game quicker IMO

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I've got to disagree. Petry should've never even started in the AHL if you ask me. His game has been up and down for sure, but that's going to happen with any player in his first year. It was pretty clear to me that he was ready to make the jump by the end of last year, and having him on the club is definitely the right move from where I'm sitting.

The real fault is that he's been put in that role with other players who need sheltering at the NHL level. A lot of that is injury, but it's also a lack of overall depth. Whitney hasn't been himself this year, and aside from him, Peckham has been his most common defense partner this season. You don't put a 2nd year defesneman with a rookie and ask them to be your #2 defense pair.

OilerOlli*

He is 24. When shall he be ready?
He isn't a propsect anymore.

OilerOlli*

Dennis Seidenberg was a rookie at 24 as well, and wasn't really any good until he was about 27.

With 21 he had already 58 games with the Flyers after coming to NA from Germany.
The Flyers never had real confidence with him. It was always between the AHl and NHL.
I always thought the first team who gives him some confidence and more minutes will benefit from and Seidenberg would show his best game.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
I don`t know if there is a database to determine the average age of an NHL defensemen breaking the 60 game threshold..in the modern era

my GUESS would be around 23ish..

so he might be a bit behind in those terms, but he chose to develop 3yrs in the NCAA which could have arguably delayed the process.. while getting close to a college degree

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Petry's game involves more creativity, holding onto the puck, and moving the puck and so theres a lot more opportunity for him to make mistakes. He's not playing a simple game and has the balls to actually hold and make plays.
But this is part of the learning and value that he gets playing the game at the top level. Mistakes occur and provide learning.

Ask him where he'd wanna be.

As long as the team is patient with him and realize they are currently asking him to punch over his weight I have no problems.

OilerOlli*

I don`t know if there is a database to determine the average age of an NHL defensemen breaking the 60 game threshold..in the modern era

my GUESS would be around 23ish..

so he might be a bit behind in those terms, but he chose to develop 3yrs in the NCAA which could have arguably delayed the process.. while getting close to a college degree

Even if he is a late bloomer he should be ready now with 24.
He is not ready with his development, sure, but he should be a fulltime NHLer now.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Petry's game involves more creativity, holding onto the puck, and moving the puck and so theres a lot more opportunity for him to make mistakes. He's not playing a simple game and has the balls to actually hold and make plays.
But this is part of the learning and value that he gets playing the game at the top level. Mistakes occur and provide learning.

Ask him where he'd wanna be.

As long as the team is patient with him and realize they are currently asking him to punch over his weight I have no problems.

This can't be said enough. He's the only dman outside Gilbert/Smid this year that actually rushes with the puck and isn't afraid to pinch. Of course his mistakes are going to be more obvious.

Reimer

Tambo Troll Face
Jan 19, 2006
Even if he is a late bloomer he should be ready now with 24.
He is not ready with his development, sure, but he should be a fulltime NHLer now.

The Oilers need to hire you to manage their prospects.

Oh yeah that's right if they did RNH would be busy busting away in the WHL. Probably wouldn't have even made the WJC team.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
I remember when Smid reached the ripe old age of 24 (last season) and most of the shade tree Iphone general mgrs on this BB wanted him strapped to a fence and burned alive..

now at 25 his pecking order is somewhere between Mahatma Gandhi and Mother Teresa`s..

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Because Teubert and Plante can be sent down without clearing waivers. And I'd argue that the NHL has improved Petry's development more than anything. He's currently about a 4/5 offensive defenseman and his main flaw right now is between his ears. Playing against weaker opponents won't help him to think the game quicker IMO

He has created zero offense = 0 pts in the last 14 games

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Petry took his time in school, it's not like he's been in purgatory for 6 years since we drafted him. It was a safe choice to begin with and I don't think he needs much more, if any time in the AHL. NHL experience is what Petry needs right now, although I'm not happy with the team around him and that might end up hurting his development. I think with defensemen especially, it's really important to insulate them early on.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
He has created zero offense = 0 pts in the last 14 games

Not really an accurate measure for defense. Fact of the matter is that he's one of the only defensemen on the team who comes out positive in terms of team scoring chances.

The Oilers get more shots and scoring chances for when Petry is on the ice than they do against. Although that's with minutes somewhere below Gilbert and Smid in terms of opposition.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Nah. I'm OK with his rate of development. He took longer to get into a professional league and d-men develop quicker, anyways. It's not like he was a top 5 pick. He was a 2nd rounder. Takes time. So many people have this notion that in the new NHL any decent player is going to be ready to be an impact player within 3 years... not everyone is Sidney Crosby.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The only thing Petry is developing right now are some bad habits. I really hope when Sutton comes back, and hopefully Whitney later, that they send this poor kid to OKC to work on his game before he loses all confidence and is ruined.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
It was very unclear what kind of player Petry would developed when I started the thread.

It is very obvious that he is already top 4 defense man. He may develop number 2-3 defense man during his next contract.

RNH is now extended and Schultz will probably follow him during next off season. What about Petry. How long he should be extended and what might be the amount of dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad