Jeff Petry development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
It's well known that Petry wants out. its been common knowledge for a couple years now.

MacT actually wanted a long term deal last year, but Petry wanted only 1, as he knew it would be his best way out without being made a villain.

Let's just get what we can for him and wish him well. He's going to be solid for years to come!

That's still not an excuse. He wants out because of the gongshow he's seen around him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's well known that Petry wants out. its been common knowledge for a couple years now.

MacT actually wanted a long term deal last year, but Petry wanted only 1, as he knew it would be his best way out without being made a villain.

Let's just get what we can for him and wish him well. He's going to be solid for years to come!

Nope that's not how it went. Petry wanted more term. They couldn't agree and went with one year. Probably a very smart move on Petry's part

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I understand you. I just think that money is an issue in Petry's case. Otherwise he would have been signed long term in the last summer.

I guess I would say I'd like to see him signed longish term (2-3 years) at a reasonable price. Maybe a comparable price that an average 3-4 D makes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I honestly would rather have a player back who can play soon-ish rather than another 1st/2nd.

That's why I'd prefer say Martin Jones or another type of prospect in a position of need. Don't get hung up in mindlessly stockpiling 1st overalls.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I know I may get flamed but Petry wasn't anything spectacular or outstanding until this year. I think this is what justified just a 1 year contract. Too bad MactT is all about ego and won't discuss term with him now.

Last edited:

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
Petry helps us now...a draft pick on other hand let's us hope and dream..."in a few years..." we've been saying that for more than a few years.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I know I may get flamed but Petry wasn't anything spectacular or outstanding until this year. I think this is what justified just a 1 year contract. Too bad MactT is about ego and won't discuss term with him now.

He's still an NHL calibre defender entering his prime years on a team that doesn't have many NHL caliber players.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Noticed that Methot................???

Noticed that Methot in Ottawa signed for 4 years at around 5 Million per year.

Petry is presently making around 3 Million. Petry is not better than Methot.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Man, good thing MacT didn't give Petry the $4M price point that MacT said it would have taken for a long term deal last summer. But MacT made it clear he didn't want too many $4M price point D! Nikitin and Schultz (if Schultz signed long term after that interview) would have been all we need.

Just brilliant GMing.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Man, good thing MacT didn't give Petry the $4M price point that MacT said it would have taken for a long term deal last summer. But MacT made it clear he didn't want too many $4M price point D! Nikitin and Schultz (if Schultz signed long term after that interview) would have been all we need.

Just brilliant GMing.

are you serious? is that true?

if yes, then that's it, I'm official done defending him. he's gotta go before he does more harm (if that's true)

just think, he had Smid and Petry and now he's got Ference and Nikitin. Wow, that's some seriously bad management.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Smid & Petry...

Thunder & Lightfoot... What could have been? If these clowns, MacT and Mr. Bean hadn't come along?

well, i guess to be fair, Smid and Ference are pretty much push (smid being younger, of course). But, then why not just stick with Smid.

With Mact, other than the 'core' players, he just switches out all players/assets/staff that he didn't hire, draft, sign or trade for.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
are you serious? is that true?

if yes, then that's it, I'm official done defending him. he's gotta go before he does more harm (if that's true)

just think, he had Smid and Petry and now he's got Ference and Nikitin. Wow, that's some seriously bad management.

He had an interview back in the 2014 summer after Petry was signed for one year.

He made 2 statements that made it very clear how much he values Petry:

1) He said he made Petry a long term deal offer that "someone without confidence in their abilities" would have accepted

2) When talking about the reason for a 1 year deal and the reason for no long term deal for Petry, he said he didn't want too many $4M price point D. At the time Schultz wasn't signed yet, but Nikitin was. A long term Schultz deal definitely would have been north of $4M so he was likely thinking Nikitin and Schultz would fill his $4M d-man quota.

Of course Nikitin went on to be solid proof for Petry why he should be a $5M price point D now :)

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I guess I would say I'd like to see him signed longish term (2-3 years) at a reasonable price. Maybe a comparable price that an average 3-4 D makes.

I think that things have changed. The way Petry has been treated is so poor. If I was him I would look to find better organization. Funny thing that The Oilers have not even try to extended him. I read somewhere that he expected to receive Gilbert type of long term deal

By the way MacT should be fired and Lowe must go!

PerformanceMcOil

Aug 2, 2005
He had an interview back in the 2014 summer after Petry was signed for one year.

He made 2 statements that made it very clear how much he values Petry:

1) He said he made Petry a long term deal offer that "someone without confidence in their abilities" would have accepted

2) When talking about the reason for a 1 year deal and the reason for no long term deal for Petry, he said he didn't want too many $4M price point D. At the time Schultz wasn't signed yet, but Nikitin was. A long term Schultz deal definitely would have been north of $4M so he was likely thinking Nikitin and Schultz would fill his $4M d-man quota.

Although we can't be sure what MacT really thinks, there is a lot of misinformation in this thread as far as what he's said:

General manager Craig MacTavish tried for a longer deal, but is content with the one-year compromise.

“It’s a bit of risky deal for us because we’re exposed on the asset,†he said of the potential to lose Petry to free agency. “We very much view Jeff as a high-end asset for us, but at the same time we have to see what the level is.

“Jeff is anticipating a high level and he has the ability to hit it out of the park. If that’s the case, we’re right back at the table next year negotiating a long-term deal based on a tremendous season.â€

Source:http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/07/...-defenceman-jeff-petry-to-a-one-year-contract

Then there's this:

“In his last 20 games he’s really settled into what I think is his best hockey as an Oiler,†MacTavish said. “He’s aggressive, he’s assertive making decisions, he’s decisive on the ice, he’s jumping on the play at a level he did from time to time, but he never really felt comfortable doing it because he’s a conservative guy by nature, but he’s playing the game. He’s playing the game to win and everybody around the league to add. And pending his UFA status there’s motivation on our part to move him or get him signed, but it will be one of those things.â€
Source: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...tion-that-oilers-still-might-sign-jeff-petry/

These quotes really don't fit the Petry-as-a-castaway narrative. Also, MacT wasn't very glowing about Nikitin, especially in comparison to Petry, so the whole MacT thinks Nikitin>Petry is BS.

The players fought for and won lower FA age. It wasn't so they could stay with the same team signing reasonable contracts forever.

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
MacT has deceived us all once again and has agreed to sign Petry in the offseason after trading him for some picks or prospects.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Although we can't be sure what MacT really thinks, there is a lot of misinformation in this thread as far as what he's said:

General manager Craig MacTavish tried for a longer deal, but is content with the one-year compromise.

“It’s a bit of risky deal for us because we’re exposed on the asset,” he said of the potential to lose Petry to free agency. “We very much view Jeff as a high-end asset for us, but at the same time we have to see what the level is.

“Jeff is anticipating a high level and he has the ability to hit it out of the park. If that’s the case, we’re right back at the table next year negotiating a long-term deal based on a tremendous season.”

Source:http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/07/...-defenceman-jeff-petry-to-a-one-year-contract

Then there's this:

“In his last 20 games he’s really settled into what I think is his best hockey as an Oiler,” MacTavish said. “He’s aggressive, he’s assertive making decisions, he’s decisive on the ice, he’s jumping on the play at a level he did from time to time, but he never really felt comfortable doing it because he’s a conservative guy by nature, but he’s playing the game. He’s playing the game to win and everybody around the league to add. And pending his UFA status there’s motivation on our part to move him or get him signed, but it will be one of those things.”
Source: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...tion-that-oilers-still-might-sign-jeff-petry/

These quotes really don't fit the Petry-as-a-castaway narrative. Also, MacT wasn't very glowing about Nikitin, especially in comparison to Petry, so the whole MacT thinks Nikitin>Petry is BS.

The players fought for and won lower FA age. It wasn't so they could stay with the same team signing reasonable contracts forever.

Here's the full interview:

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=628006

around 1:05 he talks about how his long term deal was basically a low-ball offer (something someone that "didn't have confidence in their ability" would have taken).

He also implies before that that Petry would need a spectacular season (better than anything he's shown so far) to inspire MacT to negotiate a long term deal, which does not appear to have happened I guess?

1:25 is around when he starts his $4M price-point rambling, which implies the long term deal would have needed to be in that range for Petry, which would have been a bargain from the looks of it. And to suggest he doesn't want more 4M D after recently signing Nikitin suggests that he felt Nikitin had more value than Petry, at the time at least. It's an apples to apples comparison too, because a long term deal for Petry would have been buying UFA years, same as what he tossed money at Nikitin for.

It's just typical fail GMing by MacT. He just wasn't able to evaluate what he had with Petry last summer (I'm not sure if he really knows today the value of Petry to the current roster) and now we likely lose Petry for a pick when he could have been had long term with a deal last summer for what would looked like a bargain now. His tune on Petry has changed a bit, but not that much based on reports that he hasn't reached out to Petry at all to talk about a long term deal.

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

“It’s a bit of risky deal for us because we’re exposed on the asset,” he said of the potential to lose Petry to free agency. “We very much view Jeff as a high-end asset for us, but at the same time we have to see what the level is.

“Jeff is anticipating a high level and he has the ability to hit it out of the park. If that’s the case, we’re right back at the table next year negotiating a long-term deal based on a tremendous season.”

Then there's this:

“In his last 20 games he’s really settled into what I think is his best hockey as an Oiler,” MacTavish said. “He’s aggressive, he’s assertive making decisions, he’s decisive on the ice, he’s jumping on the play at a level he did from time to time, but he never really felt comfortable doing it because he’s a conservative guy by nature, but he’s playing the game. He’s playing the game to win and everybody around the league to add. And pending his UFA status there’s motivation on our part to move him or get him signed, but it will be one of those things.”

Well, if he thinks Petry is better than Nikitin, why doesn't he buyout Nikitin and keep Petry? I'll answer my own question: the guy that pays the bills is way past tired of paying people to not play/work for the organization. Me thinks Mr. Katz isn't too impressed that he has to pay Eakins and Kruger to not coach, while simultaneiously paying Nelson to coach here.

I think Katz has told him no more buyouts and no more overpays. IOW, no more f---ups!!! (Katz has eyes too, and has watched hockey all his life, just like us. He isn't oblivious to the many screwups his buddies have made). Mact is stuck with Nikitin and that's why we're getting this rhetoric about how he's a 2nd pairing D.

Maybe Lowetide is correct in that we are seeing the final months/year of the Mact era. He needs to have a summer like Garth Snow had last year, but, by the looks of things, he isn't going to be able to sign a big ticket. He will go into next season with a weaker Dcorp than he currently has. That spells lights out by December.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad