Jeff Petry development

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerformanceMcOil

Aug 2, 2005
Here's the full interview:

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=628006

around 1:05 he talks about how his long term deal was basically a low-ball offer (something someone that "didn't have confidence in their ability" would have taken).

I think you are reading into things way out of context. Reading all the comments as a whole, I think it is pretty simple. MacT offered a long term deal based on where he felt Petry was. Petry's camp wanted a long term deal based on what they think he could be (plus I presume a UFA years markup).

Without knowing what was offered/asked for, it is impossible to judge if MacT is undervaluing Petry, or if Petry is intent on cashing in as a UFA.

Well, if he thinks Petry is better than Nikitin, why doesn't he buyout Nikitin and keep Petry? I'll answer my own question: the guy that pays the bills is way past tired of paying people to not play/work for the organization. Me thinks Mr. Katz isn't too impressed that he has to pay Eakins and Kruger to not coach, while simultaneiously paying Nelson to coach here.

A few problems. First, we again have no idea what kind of term/$$$ Petry is looking for. For sure this season Petry>Nikitin, so yeah, in a vacuum if the choice was one or the other, ok. But, the cap is looking to go down, and worst case is Nikitin is gone after one more season, whereas if we pay Petry too much over his real value, we will be stuck with it for 4-5 years most likely (I can't imagine him signing a two year deal at this point).

Besides that, this is all based on the assumption that Nikitin is useless. But I think that remains to be determined. First, he showed well at times, but struggled with injuries. Second, we haven't seen him under Nelson. His shot is certainly an asset to the PP, at least potentially.

Anyway, cap space is looking to become a premium asset over the next few seasons. If you can get Petry at a reasonable deal, then absolutely he should be signed (and I guess we have to see how the market shakes out this offseason). But I think his point about having too many 4 million defencemen is a good one. We need a couple of those guys. A couple of cheap fillers/up and comers, and one or two high end guys. We got tonnes of the 3-4 types, and we need to find a way to get the top end guy, which means we gotta have some cap space to spare. That said, Petry is certainly better than unused cap space, so I can see the argument for overpaying a bit too.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think you are reading into things way out of context. Reading all the comments as a whole, I think it is pretty simple. MacT offered a long term deal based on where he felt Petry was. Petry's camp wanted a long term deal based on what they think he could be (plus I presume a UFA years markup).

Without knowing what was offered/asked for, it is impossible to judge if MacT is undervaluing Petry, or if Petry is intent on cashing in as a UFA.

I don't know, I think I got the context right and it aligns with what you say as well. MacT offered what he thought Petry was worth, which was not much, a deal that "someone without confidence in their abilities" would have taken. He badly misjudged Petry's value to the team and offered below the 4M price point that he said he didn't want more of on the team, which is a lowball offer because Petry will easily command high 4's and possibly 5's on the open market.

That's an example of bad GMing, simple at that. He misjudged the value of an asset, let the asset know that he was only going to offer him quite a bit less than what he thought he's worth (again, something that "someone without confidence in their abilities" would take). Now he will have to pay more than the "4M" price point he only was comfortable giving Nikitin (and potentially Schultz) last summer if he wants to keep Petry who has taken yet another step forward this year. Properly judging your assets is a big part of the GM job, especially one that was fully developed by your own team and MacT had 2 years to observe him in a management position (one year as GM and one in a job higher than GM that seems to be forgotten whenever he gives his excuse about how he's only been here X number of months).

We have a very good idea of the numbers involved in last summers negotiations because of that interview. MacT was still in his very overconfident and candid mode last summer, before the Eakins debacle finally caught up to him and he started to bottle up. MacT provided numbers (4M price point talking about a long term deal) and context for his offer (offered something someone without confidence in their abilities would take). Doesn't take a genius like MacT to make safe assumptions from that.

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I think it's safe to say that if Mact had offered Petry, last summer, something in the neighborhood of 4.5 x 5, he would have signed. 4.7 most certainly would have done it.

22.5 mil for a quality 2nd pairing D, from ages 27 thru 32, and Mact scoffes at that?

I think it is also safe to say that Oilers' management are looking at 2018/19 as the year inwhich they join the here and now. the next two season simple do not matter and next year is already a write off.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think it's safe to say that if Mact had offered Petry, last summer, something in the neighborhood of 4.5 x 5, he would have signed. 4.7 most certainly would have done it.

22.5 mil for a quality 2nd pairing D, from ages 27 thru 32, and Mact scoffes at that?

I think it is also safe to say that Oilers' management are looking at 2018/19 as the year inwhich they join the here and now. the next two season simple do not matter and next year is already a write off.

The issue as I see it is that MacT felt it prudent to sign Nikitin
(2 x 4.5M) in lieu of signing Petry long term.

How in the world can he defend that decision?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

A few problems. First, we again have no idea what kind of term/$$$ Petry is looking for. For sure this season Petry>Nikitin, so yeah, in a vacuum if the choice was one or the other, ok. But, the cap is looking to go down, and worst case is Nikitin is gone after one more season, whereas if we pay Petry too much over his real value, we will be stuck with it for 4-5 years most likely (I can't imagine him signing a two year deal at this point).

Besides that, this is all based on the assumption that Nikitin is useless. But I think that remains to be determined. First, he showed well at times, but struggled with injuries. Second, we haven't seen him under Nelson. His shot is certainly an asset to the PP, at least potentially.

Anyway, cap space is looking to become a premium asset over the next few seasons. If you can get Petry at a reasonable deal, then absolutely he should be signed (and I guess we have to see how the market shakes out this offseason). But I think his point about having too many 4 million defencemen is a good one. We need a couple of those guys. A couple of cheap fillers/up and comers, and one or two high end guys. We got tonnes of the 3-4 types, and we need to find a way to get the top end guy, which means we gotta have some cap space to spare. That said, Petry is certainly better than unused cap space, so I can see the argument for overpaying a bit too.

you make some solid points.

I go back to my basic belief; they don't seem interested in signing a good, solid D long term. What does that really tell us? That it is not important to ice the best possible lineup next year or the year after, because it could be problematic signing Klefbom, Nurse, Lander, Yak in 3 years.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Petry is injured

Petry got injured in Boston game. Damaged goods means no trade, no resigning. Let's pray and hope his injury is a minor one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad