Confirmed with Link: Jay Harrison to the Jets for 2015 6th round pick

YWGF18

Oct 24, 2011
Winnipeg
As I mentioned in another thread, in the dark distant future, when all our Dmen are healthy, we could be looking at "asset management issues". We'd potentially have 10 Dmen...
  • Bogosian
  • Brouillette
  • Byfuglien
  • Chiarot
  • Clitsome
  • Enstrom
  • Harrison
  • Pardy
  • Stuart
  • Trouba
Who's still waiver-exempt that we can send down?
  • Brouillette, assuming he doesn't turn into another Chiarot
  • Chiarot; no way. He's too good.
  • Trouba; no, we're not that desparate
The only reasonable waiver-exempt choice right now is Brouillette, assuming he doesn't pull a Chiarot. That gets us down to 9. If Harrison pans out, I would send down Pardy. Otherwise send down Harrison. That gets us to 8. We could run with 6 Dmen playing and 2 in the pressbox, along with one forward.

I think it's possible to move one of those guys to forward, probably even top6/9 ;)

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
As I mentioned in another thread, in the dark distant future, when all our Dmen are healthy, we could be looking at "asset management issues". We'd potentially have 11 Dmen...
  • Bogosian
  • Brouillette
  • Byfuglien
  • Chiarot
  • Clitsome
  • Enstrom
  • Harrison
  • Pardy
  • Postma
  • Stuart
  • Trouba
Who's still waiver-exempt that we can send down?

The only reasonable waiver-exempt choice right now is Brouillette, assuming he doesn't pull a Chiarot. That gets us down to 9. If Harrison pans out, I would send down Pardy. Otherwise send down Harrison. That gets us to 8. We could run with 6 Dmen playing and 2 in the pressbox, along with one forward.
Edited your list - you forgot Postma :)

I would suggest the order of demotions would be:
1. Brouillette
2. Buff (demoted to #3 RW :) )
3. Chiarot (on a one-way)
4. Pardy

Leaves us with 7 D.

If they're really worried about losing Chiarot to waivers, we could run with 8D, but we'd have to waive Halischuk AND Galiardi.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
bahahahaha. What? Because "10 year plans" in Columbus, Florida, New York I, Atlanta, etc, etc worked so well. Teams that rebuilt in 3-4 years like Los Angeles, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, St. Louis those are the teams that had success. When you get stuck in mediocrity is gets harder and harder to get out of it.

Absolutely hilarious that you cite examples of teams that all did it pretty much through the draft, LA, Chicago, Pittsburgh? C'mon years of mediocre to awful teams before they decided to blow it up and get younger. Only when those players started to emerge did LA add guys like Richards and Carter or Chicago get guys like Hossa. Not to mention their systems weren't almost completely bereft of any talent at the time.

My 10 year timeline was including the previous years in Atlanta, to be fair Chevy is in year 4 of being responsible for it, LA missed the playoffs 6 straight years, the Hawks missed for 4 straight years, lost in the Quarters and missed again for 5 more years, the Penguins, 4 years and then stumbled on some guys named Crosby and Malkin that played no part in that turnaround.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Oh lookie at this:
The Winnipeg Jets traded a sixth round pick for Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Jay Harrison. A sixth round pick is pretty marginal value, as they turn out to be a hundred game player about 10% of the time or less. Kevin Cheveldayoff was even able to get the Hurricanes to retain salary, which is a pretty big deal since Harrison still has one year of term left.

So what do the numbers say about what Harrison brings to the team?

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2014/12/19/7417899/by-the-numbers-winnipeg-jets-acquire-jay-harrison

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah when Bogo and Trouba are both back, if Postma is still healthy, Buff can go back to forward. I hope anyway, but time will tell.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Thanks for sharing the analysis, Garret.

I immediately thought of Harrison as a replacement for Stu, and not anything more. It might only be short-term too.

My observation is that the Jets system this year benefits players like Stu with heavy back pressure and funneling through the neutral zone. That sort of system will probably also help a player like Harrison. The other strong part of the Jets system is the effective use of their centers to support the D on zone coverage and clearance. There are fewer instances now when a player like Stuart needs to make a creative or skilled play to start a break-out.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@pwilliamsNHL: Maurice expects Harrison here around noon. Has to clear his physical as well.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Thanks for sharing the analysis, Garret.

I immediately thought of Harrison as a replacement for Stu, and not anything more. It might only be short-term too.

My observation is that the Jets system this year benefits players like Stu with heavy back pressure and funneling through the neutral zone. That sort of system will probably also help a player like Harrison. The other strong part of the Jets system is the effective use of their centers to support the D on zone coverage and clearance. There are fewer instances now when a player like Stuart needs to make a creative or skilled play to start a break-out.

Hahaha thanks.

It's really long form for:
Jets get warm body that isn't that amazing, what you expect it was a sixth round pick. haha

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not opposed to making a real player for player trade but they cost real assets not 6th round picks. Young guys with top 4 potential are like gold. The price would be high. Lets flip the discussion and look at what we would want for a young guy with top 4 potential. Since Trouba is already a top 4 I'll leave him aside as he would cost probably more than any other single Jet. Probably the player from the Jets that most closely fits this description would be Morrissey. But it looks like you want a bit more than that. While Morrissey has top 4 potential he is still in junior and wouldn't be available for an NHL roster.

So ideally we want a young defenseman with top 4 potential that is already on an NHL roster. There are a few of them out there but they are all pretty much loved by their fan bases (and GM's). So to get a young NHL roster defenseman with top 4 potential the cost would be somewhere between what it would cost another team to obtain Trouba or Morrissey. It could be done (theoretically) but it would not be cheap.

There are also some older (not old) candidates that might/should be available. There has been talk about Sekera for months. He is on an expiring contract, a pending UFA. With that status what should he cost? Realistically it shouldn't be an awful lot. Add a conditional plus to it if he signs with us in order to pry him loose. That should be doable for an acceptable cost. I think there are a few other possibilities. If Chevy would approach them aggressively it should be possible to get something done. Not easy, not cheap but not out of sight either.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Chiarot doesn't get sent down today (not a chance in the world) he will no longer be waiver except by the time the X-mas roster freeze ends. He'd be playing game 10 on the 23rd. Assuming all our defense get healthy which is a long shot in itself the Jets would either waive in order of who they would least mind losing. Or maybe since we would be in the run up to the TD at that time they move a depth d-man as part of a deal to get a depth forward to upgrade the 4th line. Either way the Jets will be happy to cross that bridge if we are able to hang tough for the next 4-6 weeks.

At that point no problem waiving Pardy and Harrison, Brouillette too if necessary. That asset management will be about nothing worse than spending a relatively small amount of money, not unlike having Budaj in StJs at 1.4 mil.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Yes we have 11, but we can carry 3 extra as buff can swing to forward. I see waivers in our future, or trades.

rav722

Oct 31, 2014
Yes we have 11, but we can carry 3 extra as buff can swing to forward. I see waivers in our future, or trades.

Jets have drafted and developed well so far. Trade for picks. Since Edmonton sucks at drafting and developing maybe they'll take bottom pair Dmen with NHL experience for picks?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wish Cheveldayoff would fleece McTavish and get Yakupov from him for one of the defensemen.

uhuhuhhuhuhuhhuuhu! Shivers running down my spine. uhuhuhhuh!

If you want to steal somebody from the Oilers they must have somebody better than Yak we could steal. Its just a fantasy anyway so aim a little higher.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Why would Scheifele be considered the first piece? CHI also had a GM change in between there as well if you recall. We had Kane, Burmistrov, Bogosian much like CHI had Keith and Seabrook.

Started with #55 considering the start of the re-build could be considered June 2011 when a change in ownership took place.

At this point Burmi and Bogo have not demonstrated much that you would build a playoff/cup contender around. Certainly not even in the same league that the foundation Keith and Seabrook have been for the Hawks success. Perhaps Bogo becomes a Norris trophy finalist and wins it a couple times but I have my doubts. Maybe Burmi plays a another game for the Jets but I have my doubts.

The jury is still out on Kane. Using Kane, the re-build started in 2009 when he was drafted and made the team. That would put the team 6 years in already.

Anyways nice to see Harrison in the lineup tonight.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Started with #55 considering the start of the re-build could be considered June 2011 when a change in ownership took place.

At this point Burmi and Bogo have not demonstrated much that you would build a playoff/cup contender around. Certainly not even in the same league that the foundation Keith and Seabrook have been for the Hawks success. Perhaps Bogo becomes a Norris trophy finalist and wins it a couple times but I have my doubts. Maybe Burmi plays a another game for the Jets but I have my doubts.

The jury is still out on Kane. Using Kane, the re-build started in 2009 when he was drafted and made the team. That would put the team 6 years in already.

I agree,

the biggest thing going for these players is their youth. Burmi, I haven't been following much. I thought he showed tons of potential in his first season in Atlanta, but I have no idea what to make of him currently. I did feel he washed to the NHL so maybe the time in the KHL will be good. I really like both Bogo and Kane. Bogo and Kane are still young and learning, this year might be Bogo's best, and Kane has much potential - though he does need to start producing goals but I feel that will be a matter of time.

I hope all of our youth really blossom. I want to see them do all well, and do well on our team. I love the idea of having a set young core that grows together over time and get better over time.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

if your starting jets rebuild at 2011 ypu cant start chi rebuild at 2002. more like 2006.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad