Confirmed with Link: Jason Spezza Retires | Will Join Leafs Front Office

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Although I don't believe it will make much (any?) difference on how he will ultimately be viewed as a player, I still find it unfortunate that Spezza was unable to reach or surpass the 1000 point mark for his career. Not much doubt though that starting the next phase of his career with the team was going to be an easy decision for both sides.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I would have offered him the chance to play as 13th forward for the beginning of the season to get to 1,000pts, although perhaps Dubas did offer that and Spezza wasn't interested. Unfortunately his play took a real step back this year, and I think his exit interview hinted that he knew it was time.

Glad to have him stick around in management. It is impossible to tell how well a player transitions into the board room, but he definitely has the potential to do well. After learning the ropes, I wouldn't mind seeing him in charge of the Marlies for awhile.

Reactions: Prominence

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Probably could have hung in for the 1000 points. Dubas may have asked him, want to play for league minimum next year or take a mgmt position for say 2 million per year.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Probably could have hung in for the 1000 points. Dubas may have asked him, want to play for league minimum next year or take a mgmt position for say 2 million per year.
He's not getting 2 million as an advisor, likely same pay rate as his salary last season

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Class act all the way. Too bad he couldn't win the cup here as a player to cap off his career, hopefully he'll at least get to do it as part of the management team. I wonder who the next star will be to come home when he can still contribute and do it at a bargain price for us?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Ya I was really pulling for him to hit 1000 with all the fire power on that team and how secure their playoff spot I don’t understand why they didn’t help him to that more
Contract spaces are limited. Great idea but we are in here to win a cup

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Definitely feel this was more Dubas than Spezza

After the season, Spezza said he wants to play as long as he can and he feels like he can help the team. That doesn't sound like a guy that was anticipating retiring :laugh:

A league min. Spezza contract was still valuable, he could still pass the puck and was decent on PP2. We sign league min. scrubs like Clifford every year, so why not give him another year?

Reactions: Brown Dog and socko

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
This stings. I really grew to love this guy as a Maple Leaf. Couldn't be a fan when he was in his prime playing against us. His a legend to me now.

I think as a player this boils to that fact that we are contender and is Spezza helping us from 4th line playing 8-11minute every other game. I think the answer is no, if situation was different that we were young team learning the ropes. He could play more and contribute more, but I think it's now time to move on.

I would have loved to see him play one more season, but just hang in there is it proper way to go? There are lots of players that could have played their last season like Thornton in Florida, but is it really worth it?

I think this was right decision. Giordano will take his role and Spezza will evolve as hockey person.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
This stings. I really grew to love this guy as a Maple Leaf. Couldn't be a fan when he was in his prime playing against us. His a legend to me now.

I think as a player this boils to that fact that we are contender and is Spezza helping us from 4th line playing 8-11minute every other game. I think the answer is no, if situation was different that we were young team learning the ropes. He could play more and contribute more, but I think it's now time to move on.

I would have loved to see him play one more season, but just hang in there is it proper way to go? There are lots of players that could have played their last season like Thornton in Florida, but is it really worth it?

I think this was right decision. Giordano will take his role and Spezza will evolve as hockey person.

This would seem more logical if Dubas didn't just re-sign Clifford to a 2 year league min. extension 2 months ago

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
5 points away from 1000 is going to bug me for a very long time, but a complete class act and amazing hockey player in his prime.

The leadership he showed the boys will be sorely missed next season but here's hoping the boys are going to start taking on those leadership roles themselves, what an amazing human being.

Talking about character, Spezza is synonymous with the word.

Enjoy your Retirment my friend, you deserve it.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
'Vintage' defines what professional means: gave it his best every night, played for the team, supported his team mates, and represented the organization(s) he played for with distinction and personal honesty. I'm glad he's staying with the Leafs and I wish him well.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Nothing but love for Spezza. Sad he won't be in uniform for us next year, as I think he offered enough game and so many intangibles that he could've helped as a spare forward playing part-time.

Glad he's still with the Leafs, though, and hopefully he can hoist the Cup as a Leaf exec next year.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Definitely feel this was more Dubas than Spezza

After the season, Spezza said he wants to play as long as he can and he feels like he can help the team. That doesn't sound like a guy that was anticipating retiring :laugh:

A league min. Spezza contract was still valuable, he could still pass the puck and was decent on PP2. We sign league min. scrubs like Clifford every year, so why not give him another year?

I'm hopeful this means Dubas is looking to move Kampf to the 4th line and bringing in an upgrade at the #3C that can provide more offense.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Also I wonder if Spezza will be more candid with Dubas, behind closed doors, about what some of the issues really are with the team since he's been in the dressing room for so long now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3