Confirmed with Link: Jason Spezza Retires | Will Join Leafs Front Office

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
5 shy of 1000 points.. Mentally thats gotta feel like you're driving for 19 years, getting 5 KM from your destination and then saying "ahh f*** it lets go home"

Was hoping he'd come back for 1 more, but whatever I guess. I'd rather him not turn into a Joe Thornton situation where it gravely hurts us every time he's on the ice.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I have a feeling he won't stay as an assistant GM for very long. A lot of teams will see him as the next Yzerman and Sakic.

Great career and well deserved exec job. I would have no problem if he some day took over in some capacity, but we'll see how it goes.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have a feeling he won't stay as an assistant GM for very long. A lot of teams will see him as the next Yzerman and Sakic.

Great career and well deserved exec job. I would have no problem if he some day took over in some capacity, but we'll see how it goes.

I wouldn't hate it if he was our Yzerman or Sakic. Feels like the front office has been light on former NHLers lately so this is a nice add. Sad to see him finish with 995 points though. He came so far in that last season but just didn't make it over the line.

Reactions: Menzinger

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I don't think one player has ever went from someone I completley hated to someone who I now think is a great person and team mate.

He probably always was like that... but those Sens years it took some time to get use to him being a Leaf.

Great career for him and glad he's joining the front office.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I think he’d eventually be the successor of the Maple Leafs one day or maybe if the Ottawa job opens up. I don’t really seem him leaving Ontario to take a job, I think him being in Toronto and being close to his family is of #1 importance.

I could also see him as the President of the Toronto Maple Leafs one day.

Reactions: cheechonaleash

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He wasn't here long but his time on the Leafs was very memorable nonetheless. Honestly one of the best depth veteran signings we ever made, guy was a class act on and off the ice and always showed heart, you gotta tip your cap to that. Will miss Jason and wish him the best of luck in his new role.

Reactions: deprw

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Would it be against the cba for the leafs to tell Spezza something like "Listen Jason, we think you have front office potential. Play a few seasons at league minimum for us, then join the front office where there's 'hint hint' no salary cap."

Not saying that's what happened. But just wondering if it would be against the cba or not.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Much respect to Spezza and his career. Something about his skating and hands was very enjoyable to watch. I think he's sticking around here for a while, I got the sense he didn't want to move around because of his family, although a management position anywhere would be more long term than 1 year contracts at the end of his playing career. Glad he's still part of the org.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I wasn't certain he was physically done yet. At 37 he was terrific and at 38, a different player. I guess this shows he probably felt spent and knew it was time. I think he will make a fine club president after a year or so of learning the inner workings of the organization.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Happy for Spezza. Like him a lot as an individual.

However, annoyed we dressed someone in our bottom 6 who was on the brink of retirement. We learned the hard way every roster spot counts when you face Tampa. How hard is it to get another 4th liner at the deadline that can pick up the pace for a playoff run?

Reactions: seventieslord

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Kinda shocked by this as he was still an effective player.

I really hope they didn’t force this retirement on him.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Sucks he finished with 995, but it was time. A great career that he should be proud of. Definitely not a guy that I thought would become a wiley old vet. Interested to see his new role.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If they weren’t resigning him, wish Keefe would of got him some spot duty on top line, and first PP. Enough to get him 5 more points, anyways congrats Spezz on a great career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad