Confirmed with Link: Jason Spezza Retires | Will Join Leafs Front Office

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
With his passion for the sport, city, veteran leadership and loyalty to the team, this was a predictable evolution for him fairly early upon his arrival I would say.

He really wanted to be here, his fight at the end of the CBJ series and inadvertent tackle of a guy who injured his teammate showed me he cared. He went outside his comfort zone, willing to adapt.

Many other former players have done the same as jt feeds their compeitive fire while allowing them to remain in the game responsible for their success.

Congrats on the new gig. The transition will probably be fairly smooth for him

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
If it was then I'll give Dubas credit. These are the discussions he needs to have and decisions he needs to make. Love Jason, but lets be honest, he's not what the leafs needed anymore. He did get to play for his home town, got to play some meaningful games while being close to his family
very well said.

I am sure he still wanted to play. But we knew it was in T.O. or nowhere. So if he's retiring it's cause Dubas told him there was no place for him on the ice anymore. And if so... good. I like what he did in limited minutes but the 3rd/4th lines need a new look, and a big part of that is going to be changing out a couple of skill-only players for Nick Paul/Corey Perry types. He's a fine player but he's exactly what I think Dubas is going to be trying to get away from down there, even if he'd take league minimum.

HHOF credentials
Don't be silly. Spezza is not really even that close to HHOF caliber, and 1000 points is only 5 more than 995. What he does at age 39 doesn't matter at all, it's about how good he was at his best, and at his best he was not a HHOF player.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Congrats on a great career. Even in a short time, he is one of the most beloved Leafs in history. He always put the team first ahead of himself and looked to spark his team. What a class act as a player and person. Glad he's sticking around in the front office.

Reactions: kb

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Well he stayed true to his words. He'd either play for the Leafs or retire.

Hope the high AAV asshats who suck on ice and required a reminder to f***ing man up and play. could not self motivate and require Spezza to speak up are proud of themselves

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
more inexperience in the front office is exactly what this organization needed. holy self preservation Kyle Dubas.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I very much appreciate Spezza's time with the Leafs. He played on a gift contract and was an inspiration for us fans tired of the greed at the top of the roster. Gonna miss that howitzer slapper he has.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Great guy, great player, great career. Sad to see him retire, but glad to see him stick with the Leafs and move into management. Seems like a good fit, he’s always been very driven and a natural leader.

Reactions: Brown Dog

horner

May 22, 2007
If it was then I'll give Dubas credit. These are the discussions he needs to have and decisions he needs to make. Love Jason, but lets be honest, he's not what the leafs needed anymore. He did get to play for his home town, got to play some meaningful games while being close to his family
Knowing dubas he probably wanted him to come back and get 1000 points then retire but Spezza probably doesn't want it that way.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
One of the players that I can say with certainty that I loved every minute he was a Leaf. Sad the team couldn't put together a deep run while he was here, but an absolute easy call to add him to the front office.

Hope he's with the team for decades to come in some way or the other.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
A rough start to his career being always at loggerheads with Jacques Martin, but eventually he listened and became a premiere NHL centre. While maybe not a HoFer he had a great career, and earned a lot of respect around the league, both for his skill and for who he is as a man.

I know he'll find his way in this next chapter by bringing the same kind of focus, dedication and effort to any of the jobs the Leafs assign him to as he did to his on ice play. It will make the Bud's a that much stronger. Congrats Jason.

Reactions: deprw and kb

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Good for him. It’s funny this just got announced as I was chatting about this with my dad and said Leafs will give him a front office gig. Leafs will be a great pre-retirement option for players. They may not win a cup here but at least they get a comfy job and others will follow.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I have always like Spezza, yea, even when he was a Senator. Amazing he got to go home and play, circumstances let him down.

As for Mike, whatever he is doing, he can go f*** himself every day until he dies. What loser sits a guy like Spezza in the home opener in his first game with his hometown team? Absolute garbage pos.

So, we basically use Spezza's money for Giordano; probably better value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad