Injury Report: Jason Spezza (Herniated disc - Back surgery - Out at least 2 months)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
After another full two weeks of skating and possibly a couple practices, it is really not THAT far fetched that Spezza returns for a Game 5, 6, or 7

Milan the God*

After another full two weeks of skating and possibly a couple practices, it is really not THAT far fetched that Spezza returns for a Game 5, 6, or 7

Well, two weeks from now we're done round one. Game 7 would be on Sunday, May 12th.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
This is a non playoff team, with playoff goalies and a stud defenceman who is now playing at 70-80 percent.

If we manage to go though Montreal I'd be shocked....but amazingly happy :)

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Well, two weeks from now we're done round one. Game 7 would be on Sunday, May 12th.

Exactly, I could see him being ready for that game Just under two weeks. Or if facing elimination in a Game 6 and needing to force a Game 7...and at home....well yeah I can see him returning for that game too after a week and a half more of skating/practice.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
The only news we have on Spezz right now is that he's skating which is a good thing. We saw how quickly Karlsson got back in the line up after beginning to skate and than only a few practices, the exact same thing can happen with Spezza.

The news we got yesterday from Murray was that he hadnt skated in a few days...

sens4life

May 15, 2007
Reality
Simmer this morning on Team 1200 said:
- severity of injury is still bad
- Spezza is worried about quality of life after hockey
- the worry is not only is this season a write off, but...

SensHero

Jul 19, 2010
Ottawa

Spezza wasn't actually quoted as saying that, but Simmer is speculating only because Spezza dad suffers from chronic back pain.

sens4life

May 15, 2007
Reality
Spezza wasn't actually quoted as saying that, but Simmer is speculating only because Spezza dad suffers from chronic back pain.

You may be right, but my impression was that the worry was because of family history, ie. he had some inside info, and it was more than speculative.

i could be wrong though...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Wow, what a bummer... I seriously think all the extra skating he did in Europe really put a strain on his back and caused problems. He's not even 30 yet what a shame. Really hope he gets better.

Smarmy the Pirate

Sep 4, 2008
Are you kidding me?

I'm as worried about Spezza as the next guy, but come on, Simpson.

Yeah seriously. I find Simpson entertaining enough, but remember this is the guy who kept saying Sidney Crosby was still bonkers from his concussion months after he started playing. Simmer makes stuff up to get attention, it seems.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007

I think I saw an interview with him earlier in the season where he said he was worried about his quality of life afterwards.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
My dad's had chronic back pain his whole life. The fact that's he's 270lbs doesn't affect me at 190 :)

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Spezza being worried about the future is a huge issue if true

That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping would not happen

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Pittsburgh is a playoff team without Fleury and Crosby....they are probably one without Malkin, Letang Iginla and Kunitz too.

What a weird thing to say given that the facts in front of you paint the complete opposite picture than what you're selling...

We are a playoff team without Michalek, Spezza, Karlsson, Cowen, and half a season without Anderson...

... I know this because we have been in the playoff picture for the entire season with out them...

It just is what it is...

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
What a weird thing to say given that the facts in front of you paint the complete opposite picture than what you're selling...

We are a playoff team without Michalek, Spezza, Karlsson, Cowen, and half a season without Anderson...

... I know this because we have been in the playoff picture for the entire season with out them...

It just is what it is...
Good point.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
You have to be careful trying to interpret what Simmer says. He makes up these long convoluted questions and statements when he speaks. When you look at it closely it really goes something like ..... I'm BS.ing but I think that I know that I'm guessing that I'm thinking..... Aren't I a great insider?

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Wow, it's THAT bad? It sounds like the surgery he had didn't really correct very much. He shouldn't still have lingering issues. I know of people in their 60's that have had back operations and made a full recovery, yet Spezza who is a professional athlete is having such a hard time coming back?

Awful news if true, but I am going to hold out hope we still see him sometime in the playoffs. If not, he needs to do whatever it takes to make sure he's 100% next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad