Injury Report: Jason Spezza (Herniated disc - Back surgery - Out at least 2 months)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Will be interesting to see if he skates at all the rest of the week. If he does....there's a chance, if he shuts it down for the remainder of the week than I'd be willing to finally accept he's done for the year.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I know of people in their 60's that have had back operations and made a full recovery, yet Spezza who is a professional athlete is having such a hard time coming back?

How long until those seniors were participating in full contact practices?

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
How long until those seniors were participating in full contact practices?

I am not trying to compare these people to a professional athlete or say it's an easy process, my point was that they all recovered. And FWIW, all of them do play sports. One guy is an avid golfer which puts huge strain on the back, one play tennis, one softball. So it's all stuff that required their back to be in good shape.

For whatever reason as a 30 year old guy and even after having a surgery, Spezza can't seem to recover. It's just really surprising and unfortunate.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I said this before and I said it again.

This draft is extremely deep. If I'm Murray I package my 1st and a significant piece on our prospect pool or depth chart to acquire a top 8 pick and pick up a Barkov/Monahan/Lindholm etc...

This is worrisome news and it's as good a chance as any to acquire a safety pick-up on C in case Spezza's back keeps aggravating him.

Heck Wennberg can be a very good pickup and don't need to trade up that high.

Again, this is just insurance but with our team reaching it's peak we can't have our number 1 center hole go missing even though I believe in Zibby.

Spezza comes back rolling? We have arguably the biggest trading piece(center position) to move for immediate help later on.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I said this before and I said it again.

This draft is extremely deep. If I'm Murray I package my 1st and a significant piece on our prospect pool or depth chart to acquire a top 8 pick and pick up a Barkov/Monahan/Lindholm etc...

This sounds like an excellent plan. There are no guarantees on either Noesen or Puempel - if it takes one of those guys, combined with our first, to get into the top eight, I would do it in a second. Drafts like this don't come along every year, so we would be wise to take advantage of our organizational depth to plunder, err, I mean help out another club with weaker depth. :D

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I would love to find out more about what goes down in Murray's office these days

The no official news on the Spezza front and the increasing negative chatter about him is indicative of something serious

I wonder how I would handle it if I was the GM and having the number 1 centre go down right as the rebuild is looking to finish... I'd like to think I'd go balls to the wall and consider moving almost anyone except Karlsson, yeah I think I'd even consider trading Anderson.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Murray definitely needs to find out as much information as possible. He needs to go into the summer with a clear direction of who our #1 center is going to be....not only for next season but down the road in the future as well.

This cannot stretch into next season where we are once again relying heavily on Turris and Zibby to take on a role they are not ready for or comfortable with.

Sign an FA, make a trade or pick a top prospect for the future. But we're past the point of expecting Spezza to carry the load for the next five years, it would take a miraculous turn around to completely get over his back issues and we need to be realistic.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
There are options out there for centres. Gagner ( in a trade), Roy, Ribiero, Bozak, Richards (possibly a buyout candidate) etc.. Not #1 guys, but competent players if Spezza has issues.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
There are options out there for centres. Gagner ( in a trade), Roy, Ribiero, Bozak, Richards (possibly a buyout candidate) etc.. Not #1 guys, but competent players if Spezza has issues.

Brad Richards? Buyout? Where the hell did you hear that from? He still had 34 points this season and is a very valuable piece for a playoff run.

No chance in hell he gets bought out.

Milan the God*

If Spezza's back in a huge concern going forward, we need to do whatever it takes to draft Sean Monahan.

bobo84

Jun 16, 2009
Brad Richards? Buyout? Where the hell did you hear that from? He still had 34 points this season and is a very valuable piece for a playoff run.

No chance in hell he gets bought out.

New CBA has a "cap recapture" clause that punishes teams for adding extra years at the end of a contract at a super low number to reduce the average salary. Brad's signed until he's 40 if he retires before his deal ends the Rangers would be punished with some level of cap hit (not sure the specific number but it'll depend on how early he retires and could be quite significant) even if he's traded to another team before retirement.

There's a strong chance he gets bought out. The NYR board seems to think so also and there have been several articles written about it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This thread is horrible to read through. We have no information, but we should probably give up on one of the best centres in the league. Good idea.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
This thread is horrible to read through. We have no information, but we should probably give up on one of the best centres in the league. Good idea.

This was all going on the ASSUMPTION that Spezza never makes a full recovery and he continues to be affected by the injury going forward.

Obviously the hope and expectation is that he still gets back to 100% and is a huge part of the team.

Nobody WANTS to have to go out and search for another option for #1 center and top offensive player. Relax there...

Topside

Jul 2, 2009
We need to correct Zibanejad's skating technique before his back goes out like Spezza's. :sarcasm:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This was all going on the ASSUMPTION that Spezza never makes a full recovery and he continues to be affected by the injury going forward.

Obviously the hope and expectation is that he still gets back to 100% and is a huge part of the team.

Nobody WANTS to have to go out and search for another option for #1 center and top offensive player. Relax there...

While we're at it we should look at the possibility of replacing Karlsson in case he doesn't get back to 100%.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Powerplay channeling Spezza, can you hear me Spezza? This is your 0 goals/12 powerplays needing your help!

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
He hasten't even practiced with the team yet.
How could he be back?

They do say its all speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->