Jared Bednar & Co. Discussion Thread

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That still seems awfully backhanded but praise is praise I guess.

I get where he’s coming from. But from what I’ve gathered from his posts is that he has some inside knowledge from last year on some stuff that’s gone down, and Bednars done a good job, but he got carried by a Hart nominee mackinnon season. While
I think he definitely improved from last season, I think it’s clear he still has some work to do on in game tactics as he gets out coached there. So while I’m very much impressed with the turnaround that he’s lead this team on, I’d still like to get one more season to really get a good feel on him as our coach.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well, I'll apologize for the overly-snotty tone in my previous post (I only wanted to be a bit snot-nosed) but honestly, until I myself know of what went on behind closed doors I can't really use that. All I can acknowledge is that absolutely no single, solitary person escapes blame for last year's disaster (except maybe Mikko Rantanen and Semyon Varlamov), so that includes Bednar. I will never characterize him as a perfect coach by any means, but I sure hope no one is still holding the whole "He disrespected The Highlander" thing against him still. He simply took a player who couldn't play anymore, and didn't play him. Simple at that. Unfortunately, we learned there were quite a few players on the roster who couldn't play anymore, but that's more on management than the coaches.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Well, I'll apologize for the overly-snotty tone in my previous post (I only wanted to be a bit snot-nosed) but honestly, until I myself know of what went on behind closed doors I can't really use that. All I can acknowledge is that absolutely no single, solitary person escapes blame for last year's disaster (except maybe Mikko Rantanen and Semyon Varlamov), so that includes Bednar. I will never characterize him as a perfect coach by any means, but I sure hope no one is still holding the whole "He disrespected The Highlander" thing against him still. He simply took a player who couldn't play anymore, and didn't play him. Simple at that. Unfortunately, we learned there were quite a few players on the roster who couldn't play anymore, but that's more on management than the coaches.

I don’t really know what went on either and I’m sure that we probably won’t since I’m sure that information can really be disclosed. I’m basically in the camp of give me one more season to really see what he can do as coach. Definitely think he’s proved a lot of people wrong this season though.

Reactions: MarkT

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don’t really know what went on either and I’m sure that we probably won’t since I’m sure that information can really be disclosed. I’m basically in the camp of give me one more season to really see what he can do as coach. Definitely think he’s proved a lot of people wrong this season though.

Oh yeah, I'm not 100% sold on him either, but really, I don't think anyone should be 100% sold on a coach. Even Mike Babcock can make egregious mistakes. And even the best coaches/GMs can run aground sometimes. Hell, Roy had a great first year followed by two bad ones, and then he was gone. Maybe Bednar got his two bad years out of the way first :laugh: all at once.

Reactions: MarkT

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Bednar is impressing me in these playoffs outside of playing Warsoft.. To have this roster competing with the Preds in their barn like that is impressive. Now how he gets them to play at home will also be very telling.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
That still seems awfully backhanded but praise is praise I guess.

I get where he’s coming from. But from what I’ve gathered from his posts is that he has some inside knowledge from last year on some stuff that’s gone down, and Bednars done a good job, but he got carried by a Hart nominee mackinnon season. While
I think he definitely improved from last season, I think it’s clear he still has some work to do on in game tactics as he gets out coached there. So while I’m very much impressed with the turnaround that he’s lead this team on, I’d still like to get one more season to really get a good feel on him as our coach.

It really wasn't meant to be a backhanded compliment/praise/etc. I did catch wind of *some* stuff that contributed to last season, and based on what I had heard, I lay a large portion of the blame at his feet for that. However, it won't stop me from giving him praise for this year. It's been a huge turnaround, and he deserves the recognition for that.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Bednar is impressing me in these playoffs outside of playing Warsoft.. To have this roster competing with the Preds in their barn like that is impressive. Now how he gets them to play at home will also be very telling.

I get why he is playing Warsofky - he's supposed to be a guy who can carry the puck, and we're missing two of those right now in EJ and Sammy. That's why he was on the second powerplay. But did you notice he got taken off and replaced with Zadorov? That's a coaching staff learning from mistakes and making adjustments. I won't be surprised in Warsofky is not in the lineup next game regardless of who is healthy. Let's see what Alt or even Lindholm can do.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's still signed for one more year right?

I'm as big of a fan of his as any body else but I'm not sure an extension is in order quite yet.

Lets see how the team does through the first couple of months next season first. How much of this year is a product of the players themselves finding extra motivation to prove everyone wrong about who they are, and how much of this year is a product of quality coaching?

Personally I think Bednar really is a good coach and a perfect fit for a lot of guys on this team. The way he's worked differently with different guys but seems to have turned just about every player on the team into a better player then they were before is pretty damn impressive, especially what he did with Zadorov. But I still want to see success carry over into another season before talking extensions. Given that recent tweet of his and the stuff he has been saying in the playoffs I imagine he wants to win with this locker room as badly as anyone and wont be very difficult to extend if that's the direction that we go in. And I hope it is.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Bednar's done a much better job this season. I think he deserved another year to show what he could do with a team that didn't suck ass. I also think he's earned another two years from now to show how he can handle it.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Anyone who thinks this is premature is being ridiculous. It's ONE YEAR, not five, not three, not even two. ONE. If indeed they fire him after 2018-19, they're on the hook for one season, and that's only assuming he doesn't get hired somewhere else. That's it. Everyone wins in this--the Avs aren't making some huge commitment, and Bednar goes into next season with a minimal amount of security. And I'm willing to bet many other coaches who did a far worse job in the league this year made a lot more than he will with that one-year extension.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yep. Bednar's salary must be in the 800k to 1M ballpark, which is what new coaches make in the league.

CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Oh! Thanks, I didn't know Cap Friendly tracked that.

Geez, Green is already signed for four years...!?

I know Peters was making around $1.6 million on his deal with Carolina, I imagine he's making as much if not more in Calgary.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Oh! Thanks, I didn't know Cap Friendly tracked that.

Geez, Green is already signed for four years...!?

I know Peters was making around $1.6 million on his deal with Carolina, I imagine he's making as much if not more in Calgary.

I was surprised that Vigneault was only making 2M in NY.

Considering that Bednar when hired was relatively unknown (compared to, say, Tocchet, Boughner and Housley) and got 3 years with a team at the time that had little expectations, I'd believe that he's got the Blashill contract (800k X 3 + 1).

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I was surprised that Vigneault was only making 2M in NY.

Considering that Bednar when hired was relatively unknown (compared to, say, Tocchet, Boughner and Housley) and got 3 years with a team at the time that had little expectations, I'd believe that he's got the Blashill contract (800k X 3 + 1).

Babs contract is loony toons. I didn't know it was that damn long lol.

Wasn't Roy making like 5M?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Babs contract is loony toons. I didn't know it was that damn long lol.

Wasn't Roy making like 5M?
Perhaps, but Roy also had a bunch of other titles that other coaches don't have. I think it'll be a long time before we see a coach with front office power again.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Pretty sure Babcock has made comments about taking the job in Toronto to kinda push salaries and security for coaches up. And it appears to be happening.

Coaches have always had too short of a life-span in the NHL in my opinion. That being said, even a good GM/coach combo with a solid team can still face defeat in the playoffs. Shit happens when there is only one trophy and 31 teams fighting for it. As for the mediocre and bad teams, I feel it is usually more on the GM's inability to create a cohesive roster than a coaches inability to make lemonade from the Tyler Arnasson's and Nate Guenin's of the world.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Perhaps, but Roy also had a bunch of other titles that other coaches don't have. I think it'll be a long time before we see a coach with front office power again.
And rightfully so.

Too much conflict between the 2 positions.

Reactions: klozge

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1