Promoted in 2015

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
What I like about Bednar:
He's putting youth in a position to succeed. Unlike many coaches who are overly infatuated with talentless grinders (looking at you, Babcock) Bednar is putting the kids out there to play. He has, at times, limited minutes or outright benched young players, but unlike some coaches (again, looking at your Babcock) there's a way out of his doghouse. And there may be those who disagree but there don't appear to be any really young players whose development is off or stagnant at the moment.

He's emphasizing smart puck movement out of the zone, but also making his players make the safe play (dump-ins) if there's nothing there. Mind you, there was a whole LOT of dump-ins last year because the team was so ploddingly slow, but for the most part this team is making the smart play when moving the puck up-ice.

Overall, for the most part, I think Bednar is more unconventional than most NHL coaches. He obviously has his favorites but I don't think he has the same maddening tendencies that many of his counterparts do.

What I don't like about Bednar:
I've been a pretty staunch defender of JB and his staff the past year-plus but I'm also getting a bit irritated that this team is growing very stagnant offensively, their power play is sputtering, and they haven't really improved their defense in any measurable way. I gave them a bit of a pass because even mediocre showings are a huge improvement over what we saw last season, but there needs to be more. This team needs to put together a win streak but soon, and it starts by getting the secondary scoring and special teams working again.

The offensive scheme has become too one-dimensional. It consists of kicking the puck to the point men, having them try to get a shot through traffic and getting it past the defense and goaltending as they scramble around to block it. However, this doesn't take advantage of the talent and speed at the team's disposal. There is virtually NO movement by players without the puck. They simply stand around and wait to react. The opposition knows what to expect now, and they have adjusted accordingly. They plant bodies in the shooting lanes and not only get things blocked but even get odd-man breaks because the team doesn't keep it low in the zone, like, ever. And with so many players reacting rather than anticipating where to be, they look abhorrently slow getting to rebounds, and how many times have we witnessed a centering feed to the slot area with no one wearing burgundy in the area?

And then there's the forechecking/neutral zone/defensive scheme. Way, WAY too passive. They send one, sometimes two forecheckers in, but those guys always seem to be looking over their shoulders, ready to hustle back at a moment's notice. They have become a little more aggressive in the neutral zone and forced turnovers, but there is still no real transition game, and too often I'm witnessing the Avs trying to bunch up at the blue line. This would be okay if one or two guys like, say, Zadorov were to stand someone up there, but too often the opposing puck carrier is allowed to enter with speed. And don't even get me started on the emphasis on shot blocking. This team needs to have a much more aggressive and physical scheme in all three zones when the other team has the puck.

As you can see, my dislikes of Bednar's coaching are starting to outgrow the likes. I've been more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially given the awful circumstances that surrounded his first season. But changes need to be made by the coach as right now it's Nathan MacKinnon carrying the team, and this squad is too talented to let that continue.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It was interesting to see how Barrie started the year, and how hes playing now. Barrie might be the best barometer for how negative of an impact Bednar has when he tightens the reigns.

What I don't understand is how much Sakic talks about how they want the organizations identity to be about speed and skill. Yet he continues to employ a coach who does not even remotely fit with the way the team is structured.

With all of that said, I'm not sure I'd fire him until the end of the season unless Bennett was willing to act as interim coach for the remainder of the year. The last thing they need to do is hire another unknown in season, and watch a couple top end coaches with experience become available. I'm sick of the coach being a major excuse for this club.

@Pokecheque This thread has merit, but I also feel as if it's a bit like beating a dead horse. There is probably zero chance of anything changing anytime soon.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree this team shouldn't be looking to fire Bednar mid-season unless the wheels fall off again. But I won't be shocked if indeed they continue this run of sloppy, turnover-laden hockey if they didn't go to Jared next season.

On a side note I'm a bit surprised we've made it almost to the halfway point with so many coaches on the hot seat and not a single firing. I think the next guy to go will be Maurice, but that team is so talented, they may stave off the inevitable until this offseason.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I agree this team shouldn't be looking to fire Bednar mid-season unless the wheels fall off again. But I won't be shocked if indeed they continue this run of sloppy, turnover-laden hockey if they didn't go to Jared next season.

On a side note I'm a bit surprised we've made it almost to the halfway point with so many coaches on the hot seat and not a single firing. I think the next guy to go will be Maurice, but that team is so talented, they may stave off the inevitable until this offseason.

Why would a team having success fire their coach?

I think one reason for it might be that there really isn't a lot of reliable options out there either. Who is out of work right now that is notable? Sutter? Roy (lol)?

This off season though, you could see a ton of change if teams like Chicago, NYR, and Washington struggle. Then there is all sorts of other teams who could move on like Ottawa, Edmonton, Buffalo, and Arizona.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Why would a team having success fire their coach?

I think one reason for it might be that there really isn't a lot of reliable options out there either. Who is out of work right now that is notable? Sutter? Roy (lol)?

This off season though, you could see a ton of change if teams like Chicago, NYR, and Washington struggle. Then there is all sorts of other teams who could move on like Ottawa, Edmonton, Buffalo, and Arizona.

Depends on what you consider "success." If the bar is set at "be better than last year" that's ridiculously low.

M3WBPpX.gif

Under NO circumstances do I want some veteran grinder coach like Sutter. They need a coach who fits their identity. I think it'll be someone who hasn't been an NHL coach again. Yeah, I know, people don't want another Bednar or *shudder* Sacco, but that's kind of the way this club does things. At the very least they should wait until the offseason, that's when there'll be the most availability.

Incidentally, Bednar IMO definitely WANTS an up-tempo team but is playing it way too safe, likely because he knows he has a young team and the goaltending has been disappointing. Plus, I think he's still having flashbacks from last season. Bednar wouldn't have been hired if he was espousing a conservative approach, I guarantee you.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Depends on what you consider "success." If the bar is set at "be better than last year" that's ridiculously low.

M3WBPpX.gif

Under NO circumstances do I want some veteran grinder coach like Sutter. They need a coach who fits their identity. I think it'll be someone who hasn't been an NHL coach again. Yeah, I know, people don't want another Bednar or *shudder* Sacco, but that's kind of the way this club does things. At the very least they should wait until the offseason, that's when there'll be the most availability.

Incidentally, Bednar IMO definitely WANTS an up-tempo team but is playing it way too safe, likely because he knows he has a young team and the goaltending has been disappointing. Plus, I think he's still having flashbacks from last season. Bednar wouldn't have been hired if he was espousing a conservative approach, I guarantee you.

I agree with you on that last part. Except there is something that always happens when both Sakic and Bednar are together. I've seen it at least twice now, where Sakic mentions speed and skill, and Bednar steps in next and talks about it not being about skating, but playing the right way getting to pucks first and moving the puck quickley.

Yet the prick runs a weak sauce forcheck preaching dump and chase (what in the flying f***?), and a passive D zone system. There is just too often that Bednar talks all kinds of game, and when it comes to actually understanding what needs to be done to impliment it, he falls just short.

Like when the dumb ass was asked what he can do to improve as a coach, and how he can learn from last season. He decided to lay it at the players feet and talk about how he needed to have a more firm hand lol. Ok so, #1 you were asked about yourself, and #2 you have no clue that you burned bridges with players early and often by being too much of a hard headed f***.

People that try to play that hard ass leadership style, but have no f***ing idea how to manage it in a way that is consistent and avoids giving off a sense of hipocracy or a double standard will always fail miserably. It's not exactly that complicated, and every time I've seen it, it's been associated with arrogence and a close minded attitude.

That interview at the start of the year really pissed me off. I've done my best to go back and look at it a few times to see if I get any other sentiment from it too. It just boils my blood.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Barrie taking more shots from the point rather than walk into the slot is probably coaching. It's risk management where you want to give up fewer breakaways. At the same time it does neuter Barrie a bit, even though it hasn't shown on the scoreboard yet.

I guess what looks good doesn't automatically work best. Less flashy Barrie perhaps could be as useful in the long run. He does have a quick and fairly accurate short pass. That's where many of his 'easy' points come from. MacKinnon has been dominant at taking the puck through the slot this year so Barrie not doing it as often might not be missed that much.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Bednar needs to be gone after this year, but I have no problem keeping him until April. The last thing we need is to be stuck with another less-than-ideal coach while we give them a "fair chance" of 2-3 years. This off-season should have a handful of quality NHL experienced coaches on the market, I'm tired of rolling the dice on rookies.

Also, the shine is really wearing off of Pratt. Last year I could chalk the passiveness up to the fact that our D was miserable without EJ and we had no players who could do anything else. This year it's still not great but it's definitely good enough that we can be more proactive in the D zone. I like the emphasis on clearing rebounds, but they need to be doing a lot more off the rush to create traffic at the blue line instead of surrendering it without a fight.

Bednar and Pratt should likely both go this spring and we can let the new coach pick one of his assistants while letting Bennett be the continuity behind the bench.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It was interesting to see how Barrie started the year, and how hes playing now. Barrie might be the best barometer for how negative of an impact Bednar has when he tightens the reigns.

I think Girard is as well. I think he has him focused way too much on defense, and isn't playing his game. He's losing more and more confidence each day it seems.

I will never say Bednar is THE problem with this team, for the same reason I don't think Roy was. I think generally people overrate the impact a coach has on success. Coaching and tactics have improved in the last decade the same way goaltending has. They're all good now.

Coaches make small differences. Win you an extra round in the playoffs. Turn a bubble team into a playoff team like Roy in 2013-14. Turn a bottom dweller into a bubble team. Or in the case of going from Roy to Bednar, turn a bubble team into a bottom dweller, but the the same problems exist with this team that existed under Roy.

I hate some of the things Bednar does. I don't think he adapts his game plan very well, hate the instability he brings to both rookies and vets with his constant line changes, think he favors an overly mechanical system devoid of creativity, and don't think he coaches NHL talent very well, but he's smart, and knows the details of the game well.

I want to see him replaced, but not until there's a clear cut better alternative available.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think that kinda illustrates the problem with outsiders evaluating Colorado on the kind of advanced stats the media uses. I don't put much of any stock into corsi, but it's interesting that he's confused, while that just looks like the results of a young inconsistent team to me.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Ugh, don't get me started. I like Bednar as a person and want to see him succeed, but it's just not happening. There's no support anywhere, the breakout plan is to flip it off the boards. The only reason we aren't where we are last year is because of PDO and Nathan MacKinnon. Nothing has changed, and will not change, until we have a real quality NHL head coach back there.

I am all aboard the Darryl Sutter train and can't believe people wouldn't want the guy with the best CF% of any coach in recent history. I agree it's stupid to fire a guy when there isn't a better option on the market, but Sutter is a top 10 coach in the world. He had so much success with LA because he had offensively talented players that he had playing in an extremely defensively sound structure. They would own the puck and capitalize on their chances. It was beautiful hockey to watch, but I also love Ondrej Palat style hockey so maybe that's just me. MacKinnon would become a much better 200ft player even if some point totals took a hit, and guys like Landeskog, Jost, Rantanen, Makar and Barrie would become their best selves. Not to mention it would give whoever our goaltender is a much easier time.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ugh, don't get me started. I like Bednar as a person and want to see him succeed, but it's just not happening. There's no support anywhere, the breakout plan is to flip it off the boards. The only reason we aren't where we are last year is because of PDO and Nathan MacKinnon. Nothing has changed, and will not change, until we have a real quality NHL head coach back there.

I am all aboard the Darryl Sutter train and can't believe people wouldn't want the guy with the best CF% of any coach in recent history. I agree it's stupid to fire a guy when there isn't a better option on the market, but Sutter is a top 10 coach in the world. He had so much success with LA because he had offensively talented players that he had playing in an extremely defensively sound structure. They would own the puck and capitalize on their chances. It was beautiful hockey to watch, but I also love Ondrej Palat style hockey so maybe that's just me. MacKinnon would become a much better 200ft player even if some point totals took a hit, and guys like Landeskog, Jost, Rantanen, Makar and Barrie would become their best selves. Not to mention it would give whoever our goaltender is a much easier time.

That Kings team was custom-made for him. Tons of grit and two-way talent. Avs aren't quite the same beast. He more or less ran the Flames into the ground prior to that (though he did coach them to a SCF, so there's that). Don't get me wrong, Sutter should get another shot, not so sure he'd be a good fit in CO though.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hot take alert:

I actually like the 11F/7D scheme, not for what it’s doing for the defense but what it’s doing for the forwards.

Bednar before was putting guys like Andrighetto and Yakupov with a true 4th line center (Toninato) and the results were less than stellar. With the 11F rotation he’s not only putting those two in much more favorable positions but he’s also able to shelter/limit a guy like Nieto, who hasn’t been great now for a good long while.

I think the 7D rotation could work too, it’s just that he’s limiting the wrong guys.

Reactions: MacBradley

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Hot take alert:

I actually like the 11F/7D scheme, not for what it’s doing for the defense but what it’s doing for the forwards.

Bednar before was putting guys like Andrighetto and Yakupov with a true 4th line center (Toninato) and the results were less than stellar. With the 11F rotation he’s not only putting those two in much more favorable positions but he’s also able to shelter/limit a guy like Nieto, who hasn’t been great now for a good long while.

I think the 7D rotation could work too, it’s just that he’s limiting the wrong guys.

Nieto is averaging almost 14 minutes a night. 12, 16, 1150, 1547, and 1416 his last five. That is not nearly sheltered enough lol.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I definitely want to see Nieto moved to a true 4th line role with a guy like Toninato. Nieto-Toninato-Bourque would be a perfectly fine energy 4th line who can skate fast and forecheck all night. Put Wilson with Comeau and Soderberg (keep those two together, they clearly play very well as a tandem) and have that be the new checking/3rd line, Nieto has been there too long and I think he's dragging the line down offensively. Just because they're used defensively doesn't mean they shouldn't be potting a goal here and there at ES.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well I should say he’s STARTED to move Nieto down the lineup, we’ve seen more of Soda/Comeau with others (Ghetto, I think Wilson, etc.) and I’ve also seen Nieto rolled out with linemates who are more his speed.

I also think Comeau’s starting to regress more than a bit as well. And I think Bednar realizes it but is still reluctant to break them up for good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->