Player Discussion Jani Hakanpää

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Didnt they say Hank is 2nd in the league for hits by a D man?
Yeah, but how the statistical hits are compiled compared to how "hits" are generally understood can be two very different things. Jani is very effective in checking opponents leading up to them losing the possession of the puck which is a very good quality to have. Throwing big body hits however is not his game. I'm not holding that against him though as I think it could affect him on playing the way that makes him the most effective.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Yeah, but how the statistical hits are compiled compared to how "hits" are generally understood can be two very different things. Jani is very effective in checking opponents leading up to them losing the possession of the puck which is a very good quality to have. Throwing big body hits however is not his game. I'm not holding that against him though as I think it could affect him on playing the way that makes him the most effective.
As I said earlier, he is the only one on our team consistently hitting players. Who cares about league stats.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
"Gudbranson does everything Hakanpää does but with better defense" is just laughable. Gudbranson is at best a pylon with a mean streak.

Last edited:

Steppin Razor

Nov 11, 2013
A bright spot this season and I wouldn't mind keeping him around. Especially if he develops a mean streak.

Polar Vortex

Jul 4, 2012
If the Jets were interested in him, what would it take to get him (Hakanpaa)? I read an article suggesting Manson is on the Jets radar but who knows for sure...

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
If the Jets were interested in him, what would it take to get him (Hakanpaa)? I read an article suggesting Manson is on the Jets radar but who knows for sure...

Honestly I think we're better off just keeping him. He's been good so far, plus I don't think we'd get a lot for him at the current moment. I'd rather have his stabilizing presence around over a late round draft pick.

Would much rather take offers on Manson and Shattenkirk.

Reactions: Polar Vortex

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Honestly I think we're better off just keeping him. He's been good so far, plus I don't think we'd get a lot for him at the current moment. I'd rather have his stabilizing presence around over a late round draft pick.

Would much rather take offers on Manson and Shattenkirk.

Yeah we need something of actual value or it's probably best to just retain his negotiating rights

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Gonna be hard to re-sign him if BM is going to be cheap.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'm currently in the midst of a mock off season game right now, so I'd be interested to see some opinions on potential contract terms for Hakanpaa.

It's tough to determine exactly how much leverage/worth he has, because there wouldn't be very many comparables for his situation (soon to be 29 year old dman with only one partial season under his belt but having spent most of it admirably filling a top 4 role, albeit without offensive production). There's also the flat cap situation to consider.

I'd have to assume he's seeking the largest multi year guarantee he can get at this stage of his career, I'd just be weary of ending up with a contract that ends up resembling that of Stoner's in it's latter half. A fair compromise might be a three year deal at an AAV that starts with 2? Would anyone pay him as more than a higher end bottom pair guy on the open market?

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Hawk has been good, but I am a little scared that he is getting the Fowler boost that every third pairing guy Fowler plays with gets. Think of how many trash partners Cam us had that look like a serviceable top 4 guy with him.

I wouldn’t want to give him any longer then 2 years. If he wants longer then ship him out.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I'm currently in the midst of a mock off season game right now, so I'd be interested to see some opinions on potential contract terms for Hakanpaa.

It's tough to determine exactly how much leverage/worth he has, because there wouldn't be very many comparables for his situation (soon to be 29 year old dman with only one partial season under his belt but having spent most of it admirably filling a top 4 role, albeit without offensive production). There's also the flat cap situation to consider.

I'd have to assume he's seeking the largest multi year guarantee he can get at this stage of his career, I'd just be weary of ending up with a contract that ends up resembling that of Stoner's in it's latter half. A fair compromise might be a three year deal at an AAV that starts with 2? Would anyone pay him as more than a higher end bottom pair guy on the open market?
If he wants 3 years, don't think any chance he gets $2M or more per.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If he wants 3 years, don't think any chance he gets $2M or more per.

Even though it's a bit of a weak comparable, I was sort of thinking of the Grant contract as a baseline, similar in that they've been late bloomers hitting UFA without longevity, Hawk as a RD playing fairly heavy minutes perhaps gives him a bit more leverage as a perceived commodity on the open market.

Does something in the 5-5.5M range sound about right on a three year deal, or maybe a slightly higher average for two years (2×2)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad