Player Discussion Jani Hakanpää

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Not gonna argue about it, I guess we can agree to disagree. Just leave Terry in the AHL forever.

Laying on the passive aggressive disingenuity real thick on that one.

Getting back on topic, I wonder if Eakins might try Hawk on the PP as a net front guy if it continues to struggle. He had some experience with that in Europe and faired quite well in the role.

Last edited:

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Laying the on the passive aggressive disingenuity real thick with this one.

Getting back on topic, I wonder if Eakins might try Hawk on the PP as a net front guy if it continues to struggle. He had some experience with that in Europe and faired quite well in the role.

Might as well try him there. It's not like the PP could get any worse.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I really really hope the Ducks have a handshake deal with Hawk to sign right after the expansion draft.

He has been great and not slowed down at all. Really impressed with how he makes the simple decisions but also picks the right times to pinch.

He's been one of the few players that's hasn't really had a bad game this season.

It's crazy to think how far he's come in such a short amount of time. Him getting his pocket picked by Jumbo Joe in his first preseason game is etched into my mind and I couldn't help but think there's no way this guy will cut it. Happily eating crow on that one.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He's been one of the few players that's hasn't really had a bad game this season.

It's crazy to think how far he's come in such a short amount of time. Him getting his pocket picked by Jumbo Joe in his first preseason game is etched into my mind and I couldn't help but think there's no way this guy will cut it. Happily eating crow on that one.
Same. It's still in my mind
And then yesterday I was just watching and admiring what area he covers effectively with his naturally big body size, plus an active stick. Especially valuable on the PP. The man is good and deserves everything.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I really think he has made Manson expendable. He literally is Manson when Manson is at his best.
Well, manson is mean and threw his body around more than hank does. Hank uses his body effectively, but not with malice.

Reactions: Duck Off

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
At this point im wondering if Manson replaces Shatty on the top pair when he cones back and Shatty is given the 3rd pair as his own to lead. Sadly I don't know who I'd want to come out of the lineup for Manson when hes healthy. Hawk deserves his spot and Larsson and Hutton have done a pretty good job on the 3rd pair. Really the player im moat disappointed in is Shattenkirk.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Well, manson is mean and threw his body around more than hank does. Hank uses his body effectively, but not with malice.
Agreed

I care more about hockey skills then I do about willingness to make big hits personally. If it was 2005 I would feel differently.
I would rather have no mistakes then a guy who makes a couple mistakes but has a highlight hit every couple games.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
At this point im wondering if Manson replaces Shatty on the top pair when he cones back and Shatty is given the 3rd pair as his own to lead. Sadly I don't know who I'd want to come out of the lineup for Manson when hes healthy. Hawk deserves his spot and Larsson and Hutton have done a pretty good job on the 3rd pair. Really the player im moat disappointed in is Shattenkirk.

I would sit Hutton or Shattenkirk. Hutton is fine on the third pairing but it’s no huge loss if he’s out of the lineup. Shattenkirk has just been garbage. He probably would be ok in a lesser role but he hasn’t cut it playing top pairing minutes and he’s been brutal on the PP.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Shatty is still playing the most minutes I think

Him and Lindholm are averaging 22:36 each. Too much for Shattenkirk IMO. Although he’s eating slightly easier minutes than Hampus as he’s getting more PP time, less PK time and he generally isn’t used to protect leads in the last two mins, Hutton is.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
This seems like a time where BM would try to lock him up, but maybe Jani's agent is going to wait it out and see where this is going.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I agree that signing him and protecting him or losing him at the draft is better then losing him for nothing as a UFA and losing someone else at the draft.
Free agency doesn’t start until after the expansion draft so if there’s interest, they should wait until after the draft to sign him (and he has an understanding as to why they’re doing so). Same with Getz. A previous poster also mentioned some sort of a handshake agreement, and I hope that’s how this goes.

Reactions: Kalv

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
New nickname idea for him:
Hakkapeliitta - Wikipedia
Hakkapeliitta was an awesome Finnish light cavalry during the 30 years war in the 1600s. Famous to the point it appears as a unit in various video games such as Age of Empire 3, Total War Empire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad