Player Discussion Jani Hakanpää

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
As far as I’m concerned he has eared his spot and should not be sitting at all.

I genuinely think him coming into his own is the final straw for Manson. He plays the role Mason is supposed to, and fails to, play.

Him and Cam playing so well together is the cherry on top.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Proved me wrong as well. I thought he was nothing more than a boards and out Dman that gets beat wide all the time. He looks like he can be a regular now

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
He actually has a very small amount of offensive instincts as well. He’s been up on the play when the situation warrants it. And he’s really not that slow. His acceleration is below average but once he gets moving he’s actually reasonably fast.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
His skating style is really strange but he can actually move really well for a big guy. He's clumsy looking but has been really effective so far and his instincts are good. The one time I've seen him shoot he had a pretty heavy shot so there is a bit of offensive upside there, he did put up decent numbers his last two years in Finland so maybe some of that will translate.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Once he gets going he's like a freight train but not a bullet train. He still struggles in tight spaces but that's more of a big man thing than isolated to him. Seems very smart, plays a consistent, simple, physical game that is within his skillset and I think that maximizes Fowler's skillset. He's shown some patience and skills in the offensive zone which is nice to see. The ability to maximize Fowler might be his best attribute as Fowler's mental fortitude seems to be most important within his own game. It appears when Fowler knows what to expect from his partner that he excels. As Manson has gotten older, he's become more erratic which I don't think partners well with Fowler.

Hank is tank, kudos to the development team for helping him adjust, but most of the kudos has to go to Hank for putting in the work. Glad he's getting the praise from his head coach and playing time that he's earned so far.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Very pleasant surprise. I thought based on the end of last season that he had potential as a 3rd pairing guy. The last few games with Fowler seems to have helped both players though. Fowler is using his skills and jumping into the rush significantly more, and Hakanpaa is playing much more confidently than he was with Larsson. With Larsson he seemed to be trying to only outlet it through Larsson, and would be awkward with the puck when he couldn’t. Now he’s moving with it and making confident passes.

Reactions: ScarTroy and Static

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Best surprise of the year so far. Would like to see him get meaner, but he’s earned the right to stay in the lineup for sure.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Nice to see Hank get some recognition and rewarding for his good play lately. With Manson out for an extended period of time, Hank will slot into that top-4 well. Big body, leads the team in hits for a d-man, and *could* be the reason that Manson is let go.

I don’t think people realize how good he was for that Finnish team that won the World Championships.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
With how they pronounce it in that video I think I can endorse hawk
I'm curious where anyone got Hank from anyway. His name doesn't have an N before the K.

I'm also curious how anyone thought his name was pronounced. Watching that video doesn't make it sound any different than it looks. I was expecting to hear something goofy, like how Silfverberg sounds like "silver berry" or something in Swedish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad