Player Discussion Jani Hakanpää

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I see a lot of people refer to him as 'Hank,' but I'd like to take this opportunity to endorse his actual nickname: "Hawk."

Thank you for your time.
Thank you! Seeing people call him "Hank" irritates me way more than it should. Still not a whole lot, but anyway. It's probably because "Hank" doesn't make any sense to me, I would understand if people used the actual first letters of his name as in "Hak" or "Haka". I've spoken against the use of "Hank" before but I try not to be a broken record (and often fail).

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Hopefully he keeps this form and no injuries come to ruin this momentum of his. By momentum in this case I mean something that will become a permanent thing for him eventually while he is now learning the next level of hockey.

I as a Finnish guy was always a believer of this guy if he would be granted a proper shot in the roster but I'm pretty blown away in the way he has started the season.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Casual observer here. I work evenings so I mostly watch west coast games. I havent watched full anaheim games, but he caught my eye in my limited viewing. I love defensive dmen that can chew up minutes and play with an edge.

I obviously havent watched much of his play, and i know offense isnt his forte, but up to this point has he shown glimpses of any offensive ability? Or has he always had a straight forward, shut down mentality with his play.

Also has a slick name hah. Im voting for Hawk.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
So Hakanpaa is another iteration of Gudbranson, but at a fraction of the cost?! Not bad.
Actually, that's about the most accurate comparison I can think of. Works well with Cam? Check. Tall and physical? Check. Pretty reliable? Pretty uncanny.

Our scouting department is so good. We should doubt less on that aspect. Playing so long on the bigger ice obviously required adjustment.

This makes me have more hope once we see Curran as well.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Casual observer here. I work evenings so I mostly watch west coast games. I havent watched full anaheim games, but he caught my eye in my limited viewing. I love defensive dmen that can chew up minutes and play with an edge.

I obviously havent watched much of his play, and i know offense isnt his forte, but up to this point has he shown glimpses of any offensive ability? Or has he always had a straight forward, shut down mentality with his play.

Also has a slick name hah. Im voting for Hawk.
I would say his offensive ability is greater than zero at least. He's a big guy and has a pretty hard shot, but his main job is to be steady presence next to Fowler. He is very good at using his frame to get in the way and create space for Cam to skate.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I would say his offensive ability is greater than zero at least. He's a big guy and has a pretty hard shot, but his main job is to be steady presence next to Fowler. He is very good at using his frame to get in the way and create space for Cam to skate.

I'll add to this. His offensive game is more of spatial and situational awareness. He doesn't join the rush often, but when he does it's the right situation and he does it effectively. He'll create another passing option without putting himself in a bad position if the play goes the other way.

Something very underrated and often overlooked in a general sense is he also knows when and how to get out of the way, which is something Manson really struggled with as Fowler's partner.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Fowler just *seems* more comfortable playing with HAWK :thumbu: rather than Manson. I know his skating is a bit awkward, but he’s defensively sound and responsible.

maybe our Finnish friends know more, but didn’t Karpat play him in front on the PP to screen the goalie? Maybe we can try that some time :laugh::eek:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He is like a cheap mans Depres, big hard to get around but no mean streak for his size. Depres was obviously the better skater.

Reactions: Kalv

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Fowler just *seems* more comfortable playing with HAWK :thumbu: rather than Manson. I know his skating is a bit awkward, but he’s defensively sound and responsible.

maybe our Finnish friends know more, but didn’t Karpat play him in front on the PP to screen the goalie? Maybe we can try that some time :laugh::eek:

I'm unaware if he was used as a mask man. I haven't followed Karpat/Kärpät games as much as the player. Maybe others know more.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Eakins praising Hawk. Sounds like he's as happy with him as we are.

Another takeaway is Eakins acknowledges some players were handed things last year *coughTERRYcough.* Full quote per Iceman:

Jani Hakanpaa continues to surprise, playing well in injured Josh Manson's spot. Eakins: "That's one of those guys that you really cheer for. Along the way, there were things given to players. We saw that last year. But the one thing with Hawk, nothing has been given to him at all. There's been zero given to him. He has earned it. Every rep and every minute that he has gotten so far this year."

Reactions: lwvs84

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Terry earned it more than Hawk, he went down was a professional and was over PPG. Not sure why you said that....

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Terry earned it more than Hawk, he went down was a professional and was over PPG. Not sure why you said that....

PPG in the A isn't everything. He clearly wasn't ready last year and still doesn't look ready so far this year. Also, the fact that he was thrown on Getzlaf's wing to start his career smells a lot like he was handed things before he earned it.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Not gonna argue about it, I guess we can agree to disagree. Just leave Terry in the AHL forever.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Agreed. At some point you have to give the kid a shot in the NHL.
Maybe he just doesnt have it. Or maybe it is still really really early in the season.

Anyways, sounds like Hawk it is since Eakins has picked it up.
I bitterly admit defeat.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad