Prospect Info: Jan Mysak

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Mysak doesn't get junior points. He plays a pro game and he was used in the AHL last year because of that.

The other piece to put into consideration on his production is he did that all at center. He's a better winger. He's too defensively conscious when playing in the middle. Even at the OHL level. If he played wing all year, he would have had a lot more points.

These are things that don't get caught in stats.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Mysak doesn't get junior points. He plays a pro game and he was used in the AHL last year because of that.

The other piece to put into consideration on his production is he did that all at center. He's a better winger. He's too defensively conscious when playing in the middle. Even at the OHL level. If he played wing all year, he would have had a lot more points.

These are things that don't get caught in stats.
He definitely plays a pro game. So does Xhekaj. The best thing about these guys being in Hamilton is that they are being coached to play in a way that will translate to the NHL.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Scott Wheeler confirm Mysak played with an injury at the Memorial Cup.

He still found a way to score 2 big goals 1 to send his team to the final and 1 deflection in the final game.

Reactions: cphabs and Tyson

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
There are always players who don't produce in OHL at a high rate and still produce in AHL/NHL. Formenton/Anderson/Cirelli. Hopefully Mysak can be one of those guys.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
There are always players who don't produce in OHL at a high rate and still produce in AHL/NHL. Formenton/Anderson/Cirelli. Hopefully Mysak can be one of those guys.
The best example is Brad Marchand, look at his numbers in the Q, it's insane he became one of the best offensive wingers of his generation.

Reactions: cphabs and Troyp

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

he did produce, as he has 49 goals in 83 career games, this season he had near the exact same goals per game as Suzuki did in his age 19 season. Granted Suzuki went on a tear in the playoffs

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
The best example is Brad Marchand, look at his numbers in the Q, it's insane he became one of the best offensive wingers of his generation.
He's a great scorer. I can't believe he still gets the benefit of the doubt from refs and Gallagher doesn't.

Mysak was taken after a long fall in the draft rankings. We'll see if the fall was warranted...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

About 25 seconds in says his favourite player is Danault

LOL, he can only watch Danault skate 50% faster than him.

Mysak is a perfect example for me of a player that I would be ok in moving to a team that was impressed by his exposure enough to ask seriously about him.

We can't hold onto 20 average prospects. There has to be some funneling of quantity for quality where there is an opening.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

Mysak is a perfect example for me of a player that I would be ok in moving to a team that was impressed by his exposure enough to ask seriously about him.

We can't hold onto 20 average prospects. There has to be some funneling of quantity for quality where there is an opening.
Yeah for sure they'll have to package them up at some point. Mind you, I'm not sure they have to do that yet. I think trading Poehling and Romanov were good examples of doing that - guys the Habs knew well and moved on from

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Gotta disagree here...

Mysak' game projects far better to becoming an NHL regular than most of our fwd prospects, and, he's the type of prospect that GMs rarely if ever pay a premium for.

Like any asset, if the offer is too good to refuse, so be it. But personally I'd value Mysak well ahead of flashier/higher "ceiling" prospects like Roy or Ylonen as far as trade bait.

Pleks, Lekhonen, Evans... All guys that, like Mysak, had prospect profiles and projections far more muted than flashier peers drafted +/- 3 yrs around them... Each went on to much greater NHL success (Evans in progress) than the Scherbak, Balejz, Hossa, Perezhogin, Milroy, McCarron, Poehling, Colberg et. et.

Mysak', with what he's shown since being drafted, is exactly the type of prospect schrewd GM's DONT move, short of a massive overpayment... And certainly not for the sake of thinning out the prospect pool lol

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Gotta disagree here...

Mysak' game projects far better to becoming an NHL regular than most of our fwd prospects, and, he's the type of prospect that GMs rarely if ever pay a premium for.

Like any asset, if the offer is too good to refuse, so be it. But personally I'd value Mysak well ahead of flashier/higher "ceiling" prospects like Roy or Ylonen as far as trade bait.

Pleks, Lekhonen, Evans... All guys that, like Mysak, had prospect profiles and projections far more muted than flashier peers drafted +/- 3 yrs around them... Each went on to much greater NHL success (Evans in progress) than the Scherbak, Balejz, Hossa, Perezhogin, Milroy, McCarron, Poehling, Colberg et. et.

Mysak', with what he's shown since being drafted, is exactly the type of prospect schrewd GM's DONT move, short of a massive overpayment... And certainly not for the sake of thinning out the prospect pool lol
Pleks and Evans both skated way better at Jan's age than he does. Lehkonen has a motor that is 98th percentile plus he was a sniper when young.

I did not say to value Mysak at zero, but if his Mem Cup exposure causes another GM to inquire seriously about him, I am ok with using him to close a deal for a desired target. I don't see Mysak as a potential top-6 forward and that is my criteria for taking somone off the available list. Ylonen is not a potential top-6 either. Roy could be, even if his likelihood to do so is lower than Ylonen's likelihood to make the NHL and hang on.

Similarly, I see Xhekaj as a guy with 50-60% chance to one day make the NHL as a 6th-7th D, while Hutson has only a 15-20% chance of being the next Quinn Hughes or Adam Fox or close enough, but I would never use Hutson as a throw-in to a deal.

Buillding or rebuilding a team primarily involves accumulating top 6 Fs, top 3-4 D and a strong NHL goalie, and that is my main focus. It's why I would be very careful before giving up 1st and 2nd round picks at this juncture, and am far more comfortable trading a 3rd line F or 5D or backup goalie, even if they are doing fairly ok in the league.

It's all in the evaluation. For a sure fire 1st line F or first pairing D, I would be ok to trade a prospect with 2nd line F potential or 2nd pairing D potential if they are important to the trade.

Manage the assets to assemble the main pieces.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don't see Mysak as a potential top-6 forward and that is my criteria for taking somone off the available list.

This is the part I don't agree with...

Good evaluation is about NHL contributions & impact.

Lekhonen just delivered cup winning "top 6" impact despite not being considered as a "potential top 6" pretty much since his draft year.

High floor/low ceiling assets are frequently under valued, yet every year, cup winning teams have several key contributors of that nature who play significant roles in playoff success.

Of course, you need elite talent first & foremost. But you aren't getting that talent by trading away assets like Mysak... My point remains that he fits the profile of the type of depth prospect worth prioritizing as far as retaining short of a large overpayment, the type of which his relatively low ceiling potential rarely attracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad