Player Discussion Jamie Drysdale

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Drysdale can be rightfully a little upset about this but I guarantee that every single team in the league would have done the same thing
Friedman went out of his way to clarify that it isn't Drysdale, in particular, that is discontent about how that situation played out. It's just an "undercurrent" (I think that's the word he used) in the negotiations.

He said Drysdale is a quiet guy and doesn't want attention regarding the contract negotiations.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Ok, here’s my speculation. Given he has 2 years to arb PV is offering $1.5 x 2. Dry probably would take 1.5 x 1. Doesn’t want 2 years of it. But as Elliotte says, Ducks have all the leverage.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I might be mis-remembering but I thought it was reported that Both Z and Drysdale were okay with a 3 year deal. That really kind of negates the whole 2 game argument as he'd have arbitration rights after that deal anyway. To me this smells of people just tryong to find justification for the delay of the deal.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I might be mis-remembering but I thought it was reported that Both Z and Drysdale were okay with a 3 year deal. That really kind of negates the whole 2 game argument as he'd have arbitration rights after that deal anyway. To me this smells of people just tryong to find justification for the delay of the deal.
I think you're mis-remembering. 3 years was only applicable to Z, not Drysdale.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Friedman went out of his way to clarify that it isn't Drysdale, in particular, that is discontent about how that situation played out. It's just an "undercurrent" (I think that's the word he used) in the negotiations.

He said Drysdale is a quiet guy and doesn't want attention regarding the contract negotiations.
That tracks... Appreciate the context!

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

slippingsloth

Jul 18, 2022
sucks he lost a year of arb for lacking 2 more games played last year but those are the breaks.

Now hopefully all the arguing over 0.5mil will settle out, JD will get his shot to prove he is top 4NHL, and we can properly pay him in 2 years.

Just glad the Z is done for at least 3 years

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Drysdale just doesnt have any leverage here. It sucks but its a business. You missed and entire season due to injury. Youre on a ELC with no Arb rights. You have 4-5, very talented prospects currently gunning for your icetime. You havent proven anything other than you have promise and the ability to be a good 2nd pairing guy.

Sign. Play. Earn.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Drysdale just doesnt have any leverage here. It sucks but its a business. You missed and entire season due to injury. Youre on a ELC with no Arb rights. You have 4-5, very talented prospects currently gunning for your icetime. You havent proven anything other than you have promise and the ability to be a good 2nd pairing guy.

Sign. Play. Earn.
His leverage is that our defense is still near the bottom of the league, which is totally viable

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It will be there with or without him. We can easily get by giving some prospects their 9 games in a rotation. Its also not like we had him last year, so its status quo.
This. Until he proves he can substantially improve the team's zone exits and lane suppression enough to move the needle more towards an "average" defense, that's not an argument in his favor. In any case, any improvements to the defense at this point are going to rely on changes within Cronin's strategy, game prep, and structure.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Sign. Play. Earn.
That doesn’t mean he should take a lowball offer. I’m sure his agent has a better hold on his value than some fans on the internet who are frustrated

No one has any idea what’s being offered

I’m sure they’ll settle on something reasonable for both soon

It might not seem like it in sports but there’s a big, big differece between signing for 1.5 million and signing for 2 million per year. Half a million dollar delta is a big deal in the real world. Shit load of money to most people

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
As for the team holding him out because of arbitration, wasn't he barely cleared for contact like a month or so ago? I seem to remember a video at the end of last season where he was on the ice without skates and he barely looked like he could pass a puck with any pace.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
As for the team holding him out because of arbitration, wasn't he barely cleared for contact like a month or so ago? I seem to remember a video at the end of last season where he was on the ice without skates and he barely looked like he could pass a puck with any pace.
PV addressed this when Friedman asked him about it today. He said there’s no issue. With Drysdale’s injury, everyone agreed it was a minimum of 6 months he’d be out. So there was no possibility he could have played games last season.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
PV addressed this when Friedman asked him about it today. He said there’s no issue. With Drysdale’s injury, everyone agreed it was a minimum of 6 months he’d be out. So there was no possibility he could have played games last season.
Well, not everyone. He said the doctors said 4-6 months but that it couldn't be less than 6. He didn't really say what that was based on, other than implying that it wasn't the doctors.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Sign. Play. Earn.
I’m going to guess that the ducks are pushing him to sign for 3 years like Zegras and Terry. And Ryan during the Murray era. Put the hammer to rfas with no arbitration rights.

Drysdale missed virtually all of last season and the OHL shut down in 20-21 so he got in 20 odd games in the NHL in 20-21.

Kid needs to play. For both Anaheim given that they used a high pick on him and for Drysdale himself since most NHL teams do not like having multiple sub 6 foot Dmen on the roster and he has a little bit of time before Zellweger is NHL ready to establish himself. If he doesn't, then Ducks turn their attention to Zellweger to be their smaller PMD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad