Player Discussion Jamie Drysdale

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Quite possibly the worst year to get injured for Jamie. So sad.

Reactions: Rybread86

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I knew after watching that hit it was gonna be bad for Jamie, but didn't think it'd be this bad. Big bummer, but thankfully, he's very young and has a good chance to bounce back. I hope he/trainers just put this season on the back burner and take time rehabbing for next year.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I just realized he didn't score a single point this season before he got hurt. Man this team sucks.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I guess our scouts were right when they sounded like they were higher on Sanderson on draft day.
It’s funny you mention that. Watching the Sens, the difference between Sanderson and Drysdale has been very noticeable. Tbh I was tempering my expectations for Sanderson BECAUSE of Drysdale’s lengthier development and need for sheltering. Seeing Sanderson come in and immediately look so competent/comfortable in all roles has left me wondering if I should reconsider Drysdale’s realistic ceiling?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I guess our scouts were right when they sounded like they were higher on Sanderson on draft day.
I wish they had gone with Lundell, Jarvis or Quinn instead of being dead set on drafting based on position.
As much as the draft was Maddens, i think its possible Murray just wanted a Dman and had Madden find the best 2 Dmen in the draft for him, Murray was a bully afterall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I wish they had gone with Lundell, Jarvis or Quinn instead of being dead set on drafting based on position.
As much as the draft was Maddens, i think its possible Murray just wanted a Dman and had Madden find the best 2 Dmen in the draft for him, Murray was a bully afterall.
I think it’s still early as defensemen make a bigger impact later than forwards. Both Drysdale and Sanderson still have a strong chance to be top defensemen from this draft. I like Drysdale but I think he might be limited offensively but he can become a Duncan Keith two way type. Sanderson was less developed at the draft but his size is definitely a nice advantage that is translating in the NHL. He would have been the ideal rebuild replacement for Hampus.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
That is a terrible injury. Here's to a speedy recovery, Jamie. 🥃

Didn't people used to say that Fowler always got hurt when he was "finally playing up to his potential"?

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I think it’s still early as defensemen make a bigger impact later than forwards. Both Drysdale and Sanderson still have a strong chance to be top defensemen from this draft. I like Drysdale but I think he might be limited offensively but he can become a Duncan Keith two way type. Sanderson was less developed at the draft but his size is definitely a nice advantage that is translating in the NHL. He would have been the ideal rebuild replacement for Hampus.
I totally agree about the 2-way thing. With regards to his offense, I’m not sure it will quite be Keith level. Keith was such a quintessential 2-way dman and such a good player that i think that reputation almost does a disservice to how good offensively he was especially in a couple seasons. He may not have been absolutely brilliant offensively but still really good and even elite at times. I just don’t see that from Jamie right now, but we’ll see.

Reactions: cheesymc

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I totally agree about the 2-way thing. With regards to his offense, I’m not sure it will quite be Keith level. Keith was such a quintessential 2-way dman and such a good player that i think that reputation almost does a disservice to how good offensively he was especially in a couple seasons. He may not have been absolutely brilliant offensively but still really good and even elite at times. I just don’t see that from Jamie right now, but we’ll see.
Hes also no where close to as chippy as Keith's dirty ass plays lol

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017

I think part of it is utilization, too. We were rolling out Shattenkirk on the PP2 to flub the puck at the blue line instead of giving Jamie a chance to get his footing.

I actually thought he looked overall good this season. He wasn't always noticeable, but in the sense that he wasn't making mistakes.

Reactions: Deuce22

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I think part of it is utilization, too. We were rolling out Shattenkirk on the PP2 to flub the puck at the blue line instead of giving Jamie a chance to get his footing.

I actually thought he looked overall good this season. He wasn't always noticeable, but in the sense that he wasn't making mistakes.
yeah, he was fine this year and was improving up until the injury.

with the offense, I guess it can go hand in hand - he hasn't really developed offensively a ton because he hasn't been put in those opportunities and vice versa. a good deal of the blame is ultimately on the coaching stuff like you implied. it's their job to break that cycle.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Holy hell what was that, he looked so chubby during that interview at Thanksgiving... Jesus.

Last edited:

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Holy hell what was that, he looked so chubby during that interview at Thanksgiving... Jesus.

If I had gotten seriously hurt on what looked like a nothing play and my reinforcements were so bad that something called a Colton White was playing in my projected spot, I’d be eating away my sorrows as well.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I know the Ducks won't do it, but if he needs a few weeks to get back up to game speed can he play in San Diego still next season?

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
This injury completely sucks for defensemen, and he lost an entire year of development in arguably the most important development year for Jamie.... after being thrown into the NHL way too early and in over his head. Life sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad