Proposal: James VanRiemsdyk for Mikhail Sergachev

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
No it was quite clear. Apparently mine wasn't?

Yours was completely off topic. Might as well bring up the disappointment Habs fans and media felt when Price was picked 5th OV in 2005...

What exactly do either have to do with a couple of fans building up Sergy to crazy expectations with a couple of Leafs fans acting as if they speak for the entire fan base?

Absolutely **** all.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Difference is, only a couple of Habs fans have done this. Unless you want us to pretend as if it were all Leafs fans that claimed that Reimer was as good (if not better) than Price once upon a time?

This is a slippery slope. I bet there were plenty of Habs fans who liked Halak more than price.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Actually, you are totally clueless. If Sergachev reaches his goals, he'll completely annihilate both these players. Think of a guy like Karlsson with size. No matter how good forwards are, unless they're centers, their value is nowhere near that of a defenseman with skills.

Ever wonder why you're not winning? We'll keep Sergachev, just in case.

Sergachev annihilate Marner? Sergachev the next Karlsson?

Has Sergachev done something in the last 5 months that I'm unaware of? Last I checked, he was your run of the mill top 10 pick with good upside but so so unproven.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think habs fans are confusing "our best prospect" with "one of the best prospects".

Sergachev is a good prospect, not a great prospect. Somewhere around #25, not #5.

I wouldn't have suggested JVR could return an elite prospect.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

Domonsky

Nov 6, 2016
Montréal
yep, Sergachev is easily a better prospect than Marner right? No reason to think he shouldn't be the best defenseman of his generation

Wow chill out guys I did not mean to offend any one or any fan base by saying that....jeez

I really think he will turn out to be one of the best defensemen in the league so what?????

I am not a pro scout! Just a fan!

Dosent mean I cannot think what the hell I want.

I can be wrong and I would certainely not be the first!

Even pro scouts did not pick Markov until very late as a longshot. This is not a exact science...Nobody can says he will of he wont be whatever...

I just think he will. Sue me!!!

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Wow chill out guys I did not mean to offend any one or any fan base by saying that....jeez

I really think he will turn out to be one of the best defensemen in the league so what?????

I am not a pro scout! Just a fan!

Dosent mean I cannot think what the hell I want.

I can be wrong and I would certainely not be the first!

Even pro scouts did not pick Markov until very late as a longshot. This is not a exact science...Nobody can says he will of he wont be whatever...

I just think he will. Sue me!!!

haha fair enough, I don't think that particular message was aimed at you

That's a lofty expectation though, sure Sergachev has as much of a chance to be an elite player as anyone drafted in his range, but very few guys turn out that well. Even if he turns out as a real top 4 Dman that's succes

We leaf fans have a persecution complex too, every time one of our posters sets the bar too high for one of our prospects we tend to hear about it

Domonsky

Nov 6, 2016
Montréal
haha fair enough, I don't think that particular message was aimed at you

That's a lofty expectation though, sure Sergachev has as much of a chance to be an elite player as anyone drafted in his range, but very few guys turn out that well. Even if he turns out as a real top 4 Dman that's succes

We leaf fans have a persecution complex too, every time one of our posters sets the bar too high for one of our prospects we tend to hear about it

Yeah I get you. It is like when Subban was a habs he was so overrated but as soon as the trade was annouced he became a top 3 in the league for a lot of people!

Dont want to start a Subban tread by the way its just an example of what youre saying :)

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yeah I get you. It is like when Subban was a habs he was so overrated but as soon as the trade was annouced he became a top 3 in the league for a lot of people!

Dont want to start a Subban tread by the way its just an example of what youre saying :)

it comes with having fanbases that don't like eachother from years of past rivalry I guess, nobody in the Northeast hates Nashville

PK was a top 10 dman even when you guys had him though, star player

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
How did this make it to 15 pages?

Are we supposed to imagine there is no cap? That in itself should make this outlandish

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I think habs fans are confusing "our best prospect" with "one of the best prospects".

Sergachev is a good prospect, not a great prospect. Somewhere around #25, not #5.

I wouldn't have suggested JVR could return an elite prospect.

How are there 24 prospects better than someone who is coming off a season as the OHL's best defenseman and was just drafted #9 overall?

You're right though that JVR won't return an elite prospect, he's worth someone like McCarron who was drafted in the late 1st.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yours was completely off topic. Might as well bring up the disappointment Habs fans and media felt when Price was picked 5th OV in 2005...

What exactly do either have to do with a couple of fans building up Sergy to crazy expectations with a couple of Leafs fans acting as if they speak for the entire fan base?

Absolutely **** all.

No, it was completely ON topic, it took the contrary stand to your position. That would be the bit that is still circling overhead.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
How are there 24 prospects better than someone who is coming off a season as the OHL's best defenseman and was just drafted #9 overall?

You're right though that JVR won't return an elite prospect, he's worth someone like McCarron who was drafted in the late 1st.

You think JVR (a 1st line player) is worth McCarron (a future 3rd line player)?

Yikes.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
a little late to chime in but kudos to the OP, value is fair. However, As talented and cheap JVR is, I dont think Habs would be willing to lose their best prospect and hopefully Markov`s replacement for JVR.

I would take alot of pry Sergachev out of MTL. The only way that I could see it is that Habs would get a young established 1C/2C in return. But even then, I dunno if I would pull the trigger. Sergachev is certainly not best prospect there is, nor he is the best D prospect but his value is high with the Canadiens especially with Markov's age and Beaulieu not being able to take his game to the next step.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
a little late to chime in but kudos to the OP, value is fair. However, As talented and cheap JVR is, I dont think Habs would be willing to lose their best prospect and hopefully Markov`s replacement for JVR.

I would take alot of pry Sergachev out of MTL. The only way that I could see it is that Habs would get a young established 1C/2C in return. But even then, I dunno if I would pull the trigger. Sergachev is certainly not best prospect there is, nor he is the best D prospect but his value is high with the Canadiens especially with Markov's age and Beaulieu not being able to take his game to the next step.

Logical post.
Next time, don't wait so long to post and maybe we can avoid 15 pages :naughty:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

That's because people are missing the point.
It becomes this player is greater, this player sucks, yada,yada.

Should Montreal trade Serg for JVR? No, I wouldn't.
Are the Leafs looking to move JVR? No. So it would be foolish to think they'd ask for anything less than what they view as the highest quality. Especially from a division rival poised to win the Cup either way.

The chances of this being a deal is very low. If Montreal wants to add a player it probably will go, what do you want for JVR. Toronto: Sergachev. Montreal. Yes or no. If no maybe a counter. Yes or no. If no, they call another team and posters here can debate that Jeff Skinner (example only please) is not worth Sergachev. And then the < > can begin in force again. Repeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad