Proposal: James VanRiemsdyk for Mikhail Sergachev

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016
I would think Montreal says no but we'll see how badly they want to win this year. My thoughts are that their window is closing but I could be wrong.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'm still hurting from the Courtnall for Kordic trade..

There should be a trade ban between the Leafs and Montreal..

As my girlfriend says "It's like mid calf boots and legging....you think they go well together, but in reality they bring out the worst in each other" :cool:

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Easy no from Habs.

I'm interested in getting JVR potentially but the price is too damn high.

JVR is a known quantity at this point...sure Serge may never reach that level of player... many busts have come and gone but he has the potential to be a franchise D....with Marky likely only having a couple years left we need someone to fill his skates.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'd have to think adding JVR would make the Habs as dangerous as Pittsburgh last year with that 3rd line of Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel. With even better goaltending.
With Gally,Patches,Radulov,Gallagher, who is going to check JVR/Shaw, whatever?

Winning a cup with Price is greater than most things.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Value wise, JVR and Sergachev are extremely close IMO so this is a good OP. Although we've been down this road before with these two players and I have no doubt it will get the typical hfboards overvaluation of prospects as per usual.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
JVR is not available I imagine. He is top 25 in the league in scoring and is on one of the top producing lines in the league. Unless you could get a #1 RHD (which you cant) for him the there is no way he will be traded.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
JVR, Eberle, etc type one dimensional wingers dont have that kind of value. Theyre proven but cant drive a line by themselves and the risk reward of a prospect like Sergachev out weighs the offensive upgrade of improved wingers.

JVR for Juulsen+McCarron(or 2017 1st)

McCarron would fit well with the skill in TO and Juulsen is a RHD that could pan out to compliment TOs LHD.

MTL get a good offensive winger with size and dont lose their top prospect for a 2nd line upgrade.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
JVR, Eberle, etc type one dimensional wingers dont have that kind of value. Theyre proven but cant drive a line by themselves and the risk reward of a prospect like Sergachev out weighs the offensive upgrade of improved wingers.

JVR for Juulsen+McCarron(or 2017 1st)

McCarron would fit well with the skill in TO and Juulsen is a RHD that could pan out to compliment TOs LHD.

MTL get a good offensive winger with size and dont lose their top prospect for a 2nd line upgrade.

Kessel was the same but the sum of the team was greater and allowed him to excel in his role.
I will tell you this as a Leaf fan (nothing to do with perceived value), we traded Kessel to Pittsburgh and watched them win the Cup (not saying because of Kessel) we sure as **** are not trading JVR to the Habs to watch them win the Cup without a massive overpayment that will benefit us building a team down the line.
I'd expect the same thoughts from a Habs fan value be damned.
That's just the way it is fair or unfair. Undervalue or overvalue.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
JVR's projected trade value is about 20th+2nd this trade deadline.

Sergachev went 9th which is close to 20th+40th on Schucker's pick value chart. Valuewise this could happen.

MTL also needs to win right now before Price gets paid and Serg is not on the team.

This trade could actually happen, depending on how much MTL wants to win right now. 2 immediate impact playoffs versus a prospect in Juniors.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
JVR's projected trade value is about 20th+2nd this trade deadline.

Sergachev went 9th which is close to 20th+40th on Schucker's pick value chart. Valuewise this could happen.

MTL also needs to win right now before Price gets paid and Serg is not on the team.

This trade could actually happen, depending on how much MTL wants to win right now. 2 immediate impact playoffs versus a prospect in Juniors.

Is this from something to project this? Or just a personal opinion on value?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I would think Montreal says no but we'll see how badly they want to win this year. My thoughts are that their window is closing but I could be wrong.

How come?

Plekanec, DD, Emelin and Markov's contract are up when Price and Galch need new contracts.
Sergachev fills in for Serga
Juulsen for Emelin
Scherbak and McCarron for Plek and DD

I mean, Habs are def not in a bad posture contract-wise. And the core is relatively young.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Not a bad proposal. I like JVR a lot but I'm willing to part with him because I don't think the Leafs can afford him in 2 years. We lack good defencemen, and Sergachev fits the right age group and skillset. I think most playoff teams would want JVR, but not all playoff teams are willing to give up a good young defenceman already on their roster. So if we consider playoff teams with good young defencemen not yet on their teams, Sergachev is one of the few out there.

From the Habs POV, their chances while Price and Weber are in their primes are as good as it'll ever be, and JVR gives them two cracks at the playoffs on a good cap hit. The Habs should be all-in.

But the Habs probably don't want to deal Sergachev, since he's their only blue chip prospect. And since that's the only trade chip on the Habs that makes sense for the Leafs, that means JVR probably goes elsewhere.

PTH

Feb 27, 2002
Quebec City
Visit site
Sergachev fits in too neatly with the Habs needs for us to move him - a left D with tons of potential, whereas we have an ageing Markov, an overpaid Emelin (though he's not doing too badly), a disappointing Beaulieu and a journeyman Barberio.

In terms of value, Juulsen is more likely to go, and his value shouldn't be that far behind. In fact, IMO any other prospect is more available than Sergachev is.

And while I'd love to have JVR, I'm not sure he adds that much to the Habs, who have plenty of scoring wingers, but lack LD and a solid #2 center.

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016
How come?

Plekanec, DD, Emelin and Markov's contract are up when Price and Galch need new contracts.
Sergachev fills in for Serga
Juulsen for Emelin
Scherbak and McCarron for Plek and DD

I mean, Habs are def not in a bad posture contract-wise. And the core is relatively young.

You guys just traded for Weber, not saying you guys are in a bad position contract wise but the chemistry with this team is clear. Who knows if Radulov resigns (You know what he's done for your team), key aging players. Carey is reaching his prime, who knows how long that lasts. If anyone can be an elite goaltender until 35 it's him but to assume that he won't get injured is tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad