Player Discussion Jakob Silfverberg II

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Given that PV has no love lost for former Ducks I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded with retention or bought out if he (PV) thinks Silf can't contribute next year.

First of all, I disagree with the notion that PV has no love lost for ducks players he inherited. Plenty of them remain on the roster - the ones who are still good players and have reasonable contracts. Henrique, Grant, Zegras, Terry, Jones, etc. The guys he shipped out were pending UFAs who Murray had held on to too long.

And if PV thinks Silf can't contribute next year (emphasis on "IF") then he absolutely should be bought out. The savings would be $1,750,000 which is enough to find a replacement player and/or give a young guy a permanent role. Guys like Nesterenko or even Leason/Megna/Tracey/Perrault/Groulx/Gawdin. You can even get a decent UFA for that amount (Grant earned $1.5M).

Sadly, Silf has not much left. I'm tired of him dragging down his line and inhibiting the development of players like Lundestrom who I think has offensive upside. He's a fourth liner - but the ducks have lots of those.

Probably best case is that the ducks find a way to loan Silf to his team in Sweden - not sure how that works exactly.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Probably best case is that the ducks find a way to loan Silf to his team in Sweden - not sure how that works exactly.
They can't, if he were to go now, they could either buy him out or agree to a mutual termination if both wanted to facilitate Silfverberg going to Sweden now, probably a buy out since Silf wouldn't want to leave all that money on the table. The article just says he wants to play there before his career ends though, not necessarily now. I expect Silf to finish his contract here, maybe a deadline trade next year

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
They can't, if he were to go now, they could either buy him out or agree to a mutual termination if both wanted to facilitate Silfverberg going to Sweden now, probably a buy out since Silf wouldn't want to leave all that money on the table. The article just says he wants to play there before his career ends though, not necessarily now. I expect Silf to finish his contract here, maybe a deadline trade next year

Why exactly can't they loan him? Ducks are on the hook for $3.5M if they buy him out. Seems like there's a deal to be made there - i.e., Ducks pay $3M, Swedish team pays $1M. And maybe Silf accepts less to play at home. Even if he doesn't there should be a way to make it work for all parties.

Certainly possible Silf plays here until the deadline or maybe the entire year. But that's not necessarily the best outcome.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1683488215879.png

Reactions: lwvs84

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Why exactly can't they loan him? Ducks are on the hook for $3.5M if they buy him out. Seems like there's a deal to be made there - i.e., Ducks pay $3M, Swedish team pays $1M. And maybe Silf accepts less to play at home. Even if he doesn't there should be a way to make it work for all parties.

Certainly possible Silf plays here until the deadline or maybe the entire year. But that's not necessarily the best outcome.
I think I was wrong in my original post, they COULD loan him, but they would be on the hook for his entire contract next season, no reason they wouldn't just buy him out

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
I must have missed the "why"
I found an article with Dostal saying he wouldn't play without a new contract, not wanting to risk getting injured before being signed, I'd imagine it's a similar story with Zegras, Terry, Shattenkirk, Harrington, Benoit, Grant & Comtois (Leason, Bealieau, Megna also have their contracts up but I don't think they'd get an invitation unless the team was almost entirely out of options)

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I found an article with Dostal saying he wouldn't play without a new contract, not wanting to risk getting injured before being signed, I'd imagine it's a similar story with Zegras, Terry, Shattenkirk, Harrington, Benoit, Grant & Comtois (Leason, Bealieau, Megna also have their contracts up but I don't think they'd get an invitation unless the team was almost entirely out of options)
Makes complete sense. Also makes sense why Anaheim would wait on those contracts for the same reason.

Although a few of those might actually benefit from taking the risk if they were good enough to get the invites.

Reactions: goonsaredumb
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

Zegras, Terry and Dostal are the only ones that should warrant a call to the WCs. All the other options on that list - I don’t think they even make a preliminary roster

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If we fall to #3rd in the draft, and we get to pick Karlsson, then Silf will have some experience with him already.
At the very least Silf will give a insightful scouting report on Carlsson. Hopefully decreases chances they go Smith at #3 by 0.05501% so i'm all for it lol.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
At the very least Silf will give a insightful scouting report on Carlsson. Hopefully decreases chances they go Smith at #3 by 0.05501% so i'm all for it lol.
I don't see Verbeek being interested in Smith with the #3 pick. He's steering in a different direction than what Smith brings

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Quick question from a sens fan...

I've got a mint Brynas Silfverberg jersey I bought directly from the official Brynas store back when he was still playing there as a sens prospect. (Silf is still one of my all time favorite sens prospects and that Ryan trade still hurts).

It's this cool #100 jersey below that he wore to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the club. I honestly forgot I had it, but I've been thinking of throwing it on eBay lately.

Do you think there is market for something like this among ducks fans?

syb6d251.jpg

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Quick question from a sens fan...

I've got a mint Brynas Silfverberg jersey I bought directly from the official Brynas store back when he was still playing there as a sens prospect. (Silf is still one of my all time favorite sens prospects and that Ryan trade still hurts).

It's this cool #100 jersey below that he wore to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the club. I honestly forgot I had it, but I've been thinking of throwing it on eBay lately.

Do you think there is market for something like this among ducks fans?

syb6d251.jpg

I would love that - Silf is my favorite player honestly lol

Reactions: dumbdick

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
So far in WC with Team Sweden he has been a black hole offensivly, not physical, not speedy. Good defensivly

Reactions: Kalv

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Silfverberg prevented Finland's captain Anttila from getting hit by the zamboni

It would have been a shame if the zamboni broke down for hitting him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Flashheart

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Been in decline for a few seasons now, but sadly the wheels seem to have completely fallen off this year. Hasn’t scored a point since December 10th, and only 1 since November 26 and really doesn’t look good out there at all. Any chance of getting anything back for him at the deadline is gone and I honestly wouldn’t even ice the guy anymore though I’m sure they will out of respect

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Counterpoint - he hasn’t been a negative player since 11/24 (17 games), and has only been a -1 in three games this season, being even or +1 in every other game. -1 in 37 games on this roster is harder than it sounds. He’s not the solution, but he’s not really the problem.

edit - he's 2nd on the team in SAT% and 1st for USAT%.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Static

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Counterpoint - he hasn’t been a negative player since 11/24 (17 games), and has only been a -1 in three games this season, being even or +1 in every other game. -1 in 37 games on this roster is harder than it sounds. He’s not the solution, but he’s not really the problem.

edit - he's 2nd on the team in SAT% and 1st for USAT%.
Still don’t think I play him on a healthy Ducks team

Killorn-McTavish-Vatrano
Zegras-Carlsson-Terry
Henrique-Lundestrom-Strome
Jones-Carrick-Leason

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes