Player Discussion Jakob Silfverberg II

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
We likely wont have a cap issue when Terry and Zegras get their extensions, and there are bound to be UFA signings or trades coming. But I sadly agree, I think his playing days might be numbered.

If you buy him out at the end of the season he still carries a 1.75mil cap hit for 2 years. Not horrible.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He can still function as a penalty killer, but other than that, he’s completely toast, his hip is shot and he can barely move. It’s painful watching him when you remember what he was.
It’s time for him to consider the LTIRetirement route in the offseason. I don’t even know if he’s worth a roster spot anymore although he’s still not out worst player. Really just too bad

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
It’s time for him to consider the LTIRetirement route in the offseason. I don’t even know if he’s worth a roster spot anymore although he’s still not out worst player. Really just too bad
He’d be fine if he was the only fringe nhl player in the lineup. He can penalty kill and has experience that can be passed along the younger guys.

Sadly the majority of the forwards on the team are bottom 6ers / fringe NHL players so we kinda got that role filled and that ice time could be given to someone younger who may one day be a top 6er or at least one day may have some trade value for the team.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
On a team this devoid of leadership, I'd push back on that. Just because his use is limited on the ice, doesn't mean it is off the ice.

Besides, we're not exactly bursting at the seams at RW with regards to young talent.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Silf has been a fan favorite and it pains me to see him like this now. Would just let him play out his contract. He is not a liability out there but since we aren't contending next year, no reason to buy him out. Maybe he plays well and can trade him for a later pick next TDL, to a team who needs a 4th line PK'er.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1681148241932.png

Reactions: anezthes

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm missing all of our old guards. Silf, Rico, Fowler, and Gibby is all that's left now. Just crazy to reflect. Geez, I still haven't changed me avatar, back when the board all had themes for the season (or was it just the playoff?).

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I'm missing all of our old guards. Silf, Rico, Fowler, and Gibby is all that's left now. Just crazy to reflect. Geez, I still haven't changed me avatar, back when the board all had themes for the season (or was it just the playoff?).

We had playoff avatar themes. The Ducks have missed the playoffs for so long that you forgot.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think you let him finish his last season as a Duck, even if he builds up some trade value. He will be a good vet for the kids, especially If we land Carlsson, which seems likely. I see Leo playing here next season.

Silf took a step back but we saw flashes last season, if he can go out with a final bang then that would be awesome.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think you let him finish his last season as a Duck, even if he builds up some trade value. He will be a good vet for the kids, especially If we land Carlsson, which seems likely. I see Leo playing here next season.

Silf took a step back but we saw flashes last season, if he can go out with a final bang then that would be awesome.

I don't disagree, but we do run into a bit of an issue of too many bodies up front. I could see moving out 1-3 forwards we have under contract.

I'd expect to see the following all playing somewhere within the top 9 next season:

Zegras, Terry, McTavish, Rico, Top 3 pick, Strome, Vatrano, Lundy and I think most would agree Jones earned the opportunity with his play in the final half of the season, if not him then Silf. There's the top three lines barring any addition, plus one extra top 9 F per say.

Then for whatever reason they've decided it's worth having McGinn for another two years at 2.75M. Still have Comtois as of today, plus both Carrick and Leason under contract. Then there's Nesterenko who played well enough to garner a long look in camp.

Already sitting 15 F deep there, and then none of them really seem suited to a full time 4C role, so looking at a 16th to fill that, whether it be Groulx or an outside add.

For the sake of simplicity, even if Groulx makes the team as 4C and Nesterenko starts down in the AHL, still have at least one or two extra bodies. That's without even considering the possibility of adding another roster forward.

I won't begin to know where Silf fits into all that from the team's perspective, but would think the desire to keep him lessens significantly if they are certain he's not coming back the year after.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Given that PV has no love lost for former Ducks I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded with retention or bought out if he (PV) thinks Silf can't contribute next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00