Speculation: Jakob Chychrun being held out of the Coyotes lineup until a trade is completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
If it was a Chycrun and Vejmelka deal, that would cost a ton for LA. You'd think they still want the 3 good picks/prospects for Chycrun, plus they might even want another 1st for Vejmelka (I'd say 2nd and a mid round pick is fair value for him but I'm not an expert). So that would be at least 2 firsts, a 2nd, a top prospect, and then you have to figure out the cost of taking Petersen (or buying out Petersen). If that's what they're trying to do, I'm not surprised that it hasn't happened yet.
Trade for Chycrun and Vejmelka is too complicated to complete.
I think Kings only need to trade for Vejmelka without including Petersen contract.
Frame work of Grans, Walker and second round pick should do it.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Petersen has a $5 million cap hit for two more years, but $11 million to be paid, including $4 million in signing bonuses this summer. + what's left of this years contract.

Speaking in hf absolutes; No freaking way are the Coyotes taking that monstrosity of a contract back. The contracts they have taken on to make the floor have been high cap hits, but low on dollars/LTIR (insured) contracts.
Only possibility is if LA retains 40-50% of the contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nowotny and Kaizen

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Petersen has a 10-team modified NTC, which could be a snag, as well.
Just put him on waivers again with the Coyotes claiming him... problem solved
Clarke is an untouchable, same as Byfield. The only way you put him in as part of a deal is with a player of the calliber like Makar. JC is no Makar.
As well hey should be. But everyone after those two should be available if they want to improve and try to compete for Doughty and Kopitar. Which is smart because they have a solid prospect pool and those two can properly shelter any prospects so they develop and can take over.

Reactions: kingsfan28

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Kings are against the cap. It is logical they want coyotes to eat that Petersen contract to make the trade work
$11 million to be paid the next two years (including $4 million in signing bonuses this summer) + what's left on this years contract.
Since it's the extreme penny-pinching (by necessity) Coyotes we're talking about here, I'll bet the price for sending Petersen's contract back would be about the same price as just acquiring Chychrun.
Only option is is LA retains A LOT of the contract.

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I like how people say this. Until it happens, you can't say someone will be better than another player.

If he plays 70 plus games a year he will achieved more than Chychrun has in his. This is what worries me about dealing for him. His average just over 55 games a year, thats not good. You can't justify giving up top assets for something like that. Its like trading for Gaborik, you know he'll miss 20 games a year. The Kings already did this.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Cap dumps are calculated in Girl Scout Cookies. 3.875 x 3=

4 boxes of thin mints
2 boxes of Samoas
3 boxes of Tagalongs
1 box of Toffee-tastics

Need some of these
The-New-Adventureful-Cookies.png

Just loaded up with $60 worth of girl scout cookies including several of these

My new #2 behind Thin Mints

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't know why people expect guys like Freidman to only report on facts. Speculation is a huge part of sports media, and at least Freidman is still intentional with making sure it is obvious what is rumour and what is speculation if you actually get information from him first hand.

They would have to make 32 thoughts monthly.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Petersen has a 10-team modified NTC, which could be a snag, as well.
One dares to imagine he'd like to be back in the NHL, so he wouldn't exclude Arizona from taking him, though?

And anyway, is Petersen even THAT bad? His numbers in the AHL aren't off what Copley did there anyway, and aside from the bad start to this year, well, he sort of had earned that contract with his prior play, hadn't he? Well, maybe not quite THAT big a contract, but at least he was an adequate NHL goalie. What happened to him?

It's still a lot of real money to pay out given Petersen is owed $5M next season and $6M the year after, though half of that they would have been paying Vejmelka anyway. (And that whole amount again to Chychrun at $5.4M + $7M). So it's not like they'd net be losing money. They'd still be net reducing payroll. And they need to make the floor next year, and Petersen should be a decent tank-worthy goalie for them. Not entirely sure why they'd be too set against Petersen, if it helped them land the biggest futures haul.
:dunno:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What I want to know :

1 - Were LA and Arizona attempting to work out a deal with Chychrun AND Vejmelka involved?

2 - Could we see Los Angeles make a goalie trade with Chicago (Petersen+ for Mrazek) or San Jose (Petersen+ for Kahkonen), and then move that new goalie to Arizona in the Chychrun Vejmelka trade, which Arizona would be more comfortable with? Mrazek and Kahkonen contracts both have less term and lower cap hit.

Arizona doesn't mind having a bad goalie this year. They just want to get compensated for paying for Cal Petersen for the rest of the contract.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Now I kinda get why people piss on Zegras (hyped by fanbase.) Byfield and Clarke are notttttttt untouchable holy crap. The Kings have drawn a line in the sand and are clearly competing now. They have tons of prospects. If trading one or both of those guys nets a significant piece then it needs to be done. Way too much hype for Clarke just because he does that behind the back self pass off the boards lol

Reactions: Nowotny

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Clarke is an untouchable, same as Byfield. The only way you put him in as part of a deal is with a player of the calliber like Makar. JC is no Makar.

Mentioning Clarke or Byfield in the same sentence as Chychrun is just as bad as mentioning them in a Makar sentence. We get the point but you doubled down on it which makes you look bad now.

Clarke and Byfield are good prospects drafted in the top 10. Fair to say they are untouchables and most fans would take that approach. I've seen statements like this both age well and not age well. Bookmark it and see where all 3 stand in 3 years (Chychrun, Clarke, Byfield). I'd be curious to see how that ages.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
You're comparing Clarke to Makar? How do you know Clarke will be better than Chychrun? Did you watch the WJC's?
Kyper is an idiot, he's wrong all the time, I'm amazed he has a job, he's Eklund, but on TV
Kyper has a 100% miss rate on Coyote rumors. If he offers a trade/ownership/relocotion rumor about Arizona bet that it's not happening.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Good lord talk about overrating prospects :laugh:

"We will only trade Clarke if we get someone way better than Clarke will ever be!"
It really is insane the people (and GM's) who wouldn't trade a prospect who might, maybe, if everything works out, years down the road, someday be as good as Chychrun, who btw is a on sweet cap hit with term.

goodness.

Reactions: Kaizen

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is a preposterous statement. Clarke looked horrible at the WJC.

He passed my offensive eye test but his defensive structure needs a lot of work. What you see here is a top 10 pick that has emotional attachment. It has to be a top pairing quality and the narrative is it's impossible for him to disappoint.... all top 10 picks end up reaching potential. :facepalm:

The right question here is if this is good timing for the Kings to make a move like this or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad