Player Discussion Jake Virtanen | Jake It Or Break It Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Jack skille was a hell of a prospect. People aren't comparing 21 year old Virtanen to 32 year old skille.

Jack Skille could never skate at anywhere near the level of Jake Virtanen, even when he was 21. Their other skills might be similar, but Virtanen's skating ability turns him into a completely different type of player who can make a completely different level of impact.

Right now Virtanen is probably neck-and-neck with Connor McDavid as the two fastest players in the NHL.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
I did not get a chance to catch the game last night, but I watched the highlights. Those two rushes by Virtanen were ridiculous. I have said this so many times, but if he can put it all together, a strong, fast, rushing winger is a very useful tool to have on a team.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I really love how he's utilizing his speed and rushing up ice more lately. Exciting stuff. We need to generate offence this way and balance out our attacks and not just drop the puck back after entering the zone all the time. More weapons in the arsenal is always great.

My main knock against Jake is the same as a few others. In a way he reminds me of Kassian in his time here. Talent and the ability for a physical game, but NO BRAINS. Both players just have no idea how to think the game, or get in position to make things happen. You know, the stuff that Brock and Bo are so goddamn great at. It does, as others have mentioned, make me seriously wonder if he'll be able to do much more than what we've already seen.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Glad to see him get rewarded was on for the extra attacker situation. Well deserved. Feel bad for him having to play with Dowd

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
He even stood someone up who tried to hit him tonight, nice to see from Jake.

Hope he keeps playing like this. He won't produce like Nylander, but he can sure play an exciting style of hockey if he keeps working at it.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
He even stood someone up who tried to hit him tonight, nice to see from Jake.

Hope he keeps playing like this. He won't produce like Nylander, but he can sure play an exciting style of hockey if he keeps working at it.

That’s where I’m at right now. I’ve accepted that he’ll never give the same value as a 60-70 pt scoring winger but that he may yet become something useful at least. What that exactly tops out as is still anyone’s guess.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Jake is coming!

You can see bits of progress more and more.

Time to leave the 2014 draft behind unless you want to complain about Ehlers and Nylander for a decade until 2024. Time to get behind this powerful, amazing skater and see what kind if useful player he can become. No reason he can't be a power forward getting 20+ goals a year.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
That’s where I’m at right now. I’ve accepted that he’ll never give the same value as a 60-70 pt scoring winger but that he may yet become something useful at least. What that exactly tops out as is still anyone’s guess.

I’ve been saying a Jannik Hansen type player is still a very effective player. We say that in 2011 and beyond with Jannik. If Jake can become that, he will at least be a piece to hang onto for the future.

Hansen is dearly missed.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Just because he may not reach his original ceiling doesn't mean he can't be an important piece for a winning team. Still lots of work to put in but he's trending in the right direction.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
JV will always be poor value for a 6th overall pick. He just doesn't put up enough points relative to who was drafted after him.

Doesn't mean he can't be a 20-20 physical scoring winger. Always a place on a team for a player like that.

Reactions: Pip

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
JV will always be poor value for a 6th overall pick. He just doesn't put up enough points relative to who was drafted after him.

Doesn't mean he can't be a 20-20 physical scoring winger. Always a place on a team for a player like that.

Exactly. Especially on this soft team.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Hopefully he spends the off season with Boeser working on his shot. He's already one of the best best skaters in the league. Next year could be huge for him. Especially with the centres he'd play with going from

Henrik
Dowd
Gaunce
Gagner
Sutter

Currently

To some choice of

Horvat
Henrik
Pettersson
Gaudette
Sutter

Next year

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would think anything differently.

He was not the best pick at 6 but it really is time to get over the 2014 draft.

I find Virtanen is noticeable most games I watch and will be a fun, entertaining guy to have. One of the fastest and most powerful skaters in the NHL in a 225 lb package that is learning to use his tools.

There is a place for him on this team.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Its coming along beautifully for him..
Step by step.

Significant difference maker in development.

Has looked like a top 5 pick the last couple of games.

Loved the decision by Green to go with 11 forwards for the purpose of double shifting the wingers... Virtanen and Boeser the prime benefactors of the additional shifts. Dont want to see regularly... but interesting to see for a game prior to a break.

Virtanen's confidence tangibly increasing...

Going to be a beast of a player in a yr or 2 when these performances come one after another after another after another....

Look forward to his 2018 games.

Reactions: Nomobo

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Virtanen has some noticeable strengths: real speed, strength, velocity on his shot and okay defensively. Also some noticeable limitations: lack of playmaking skills, questionable shooting accuracy, sketchy decision making, inconsistent effort. If his offensive instincts pick up he could be a legit second liner but otherwise he's a third liner who will never see any real PP time. Only 21, the jury's still deliberating.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
He was out there in the final minutes too, Green seems to see it.

Ray Ferraro made a good point the other day saying the next step he needs to take is to become more adept at changing speeds with the puck. Right now it seems to be either 1st gear or 5th; once he learns to shift dynamically between the two, he's going to catch a lot of people off guard and 90% of NHLers don't have the foot speed to adapt to him.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Just because he may not reach his original ceiling doesn't mean he can't be an important piece for a winning team. Still lots of work to put in but he's trending in the right direction.

Of course but he will never live up to the position he was drafted him, unless he develops rapidly.

Like I’ve said, a Jannik Hansen type player would be an amazing piece still, and to get that from Jake and how he was trending before this year, would be a great piece to a contending team.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

I find Virtanen is noticeable most games I watch and will be a fun, entertaining guy to have. One of the fastest and most powerful skaters in the NHL in a 225 lb package that is learning to use his tools.

I think everyone has accepted we didn’t pick the best player. This board is actually pretty positive about Virtanen right now and lots see him trending upwards.

The 2014 draft will be brought up for a long time but the majority have moved on from it and just looked forward to what we can salavage from Jake now.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It is fun to watch him blow by guys, but he just seems to not know what to do when he gets there. It will be interesting to see if he ever figures that out.

He is like the opposite of Boeser, who doesn't have anything close to his speed but seems to always know exactly what to do.

It's funny that we still prioritize things like speed over things like offensive awareness, such that Virtanen was a 6th overall and Boeser we got at 23.

Results speak for themselves.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Agree. In isolation he’s one of the players I have the most hope for and enjoy watching. I only ever reference the 2014 draft when other discussions make it ... necessary.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It is fun to watch him blow by guys, but he just seems to not know what to do when he gets there. It will be interesting to see if he ever figures that out.

He is like the opposite of Boeser, who doesn't have anything close to his speed but seems to always know exactly what to do.

That’s why I think they may work well on a line. If Virtanen can learn to do a lot of grunt work down low with Horvat, then it could form a good line.

Although one would have to switch wings but that’s where Pettersson comes in to play.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

If he does turn into a second line player, that's pretty much par for the course of #6 picks.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
Agreed with everyone that in isolation and forgetting the draft context he's a very exciting player to have on a team with a cieling still very much up in the air depending on his development curve.

I think I kind of understand Greeen's philosophy on not having him drive to the net every time in his formative years, he'll find that easy to do efficiently in his prime (I'd hope anyway); what will come a lot harder to him is recognizing passing lanes, making tape to tape passes and learning how to cycle. His hockey IQ and decision making hinders his play a lot right now, maybe Green isn't trying to "coach rushing out of him" as much as he's trying to develop his overall game (though it may prove fruitless if Virt stays a one-dimensional player). That's what I'm hoping Green is doing anyway.

I'm still sticking by my "bold prediction" that with his tools/potential there's a good chance he ends up better than a Chris Krieder type. Is it equally likely he just ends up 10-20 speedy third/fourth liner? Probably.

Jake's exciting to watch though. I'm enjoying see him on the ice right now.

Reactions: PG Canuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad