Player Discussion Jake Virtanen | Jake It Or Break It Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Oh boy. Judging by the reaction from the Granlund signing, me thinks this thread is going to go crazy when Virtanen signs.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
the difference is that virtanen isn't a dog **** hockey player
Yeah, agreed, but it really feels like an overpayment is in the works. I have heard nothing to that end but I can sense a quote something like: "we're pleased to have signed Jake for 3 years x $2.5M per. He is a big, fast, power forward who can rip the puck. We see him as a key member of our core moving forward."
While he might develop into that, I'm nervous that they will pay before he does.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Oh boy. Judging by the reaction from the Granlund signing, me thinks this thread is going to go crazy when Virtanen signs.
Why? Virtanen is a good young player on an upward trajectory who will get a moderate increase at best. Granlund has been the same fringe player for 150 games and just got a significant raise for no particular reason.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Why? Virtanen is a good young player on an upward trajectory who will get a moderate increase at best. Granlund has been the same fringe player for 150 games and just got a significant raise for no particular reason.
I am in the "Virtanen is a good young player on an upward trajectory" camp. I just think, since the team has a tendency to overpay, they will do so with Virtanen and, given the other group on these boards that still think he is a bust, this thread won't be a pleasant place.
But whatever, I guess I can always avoid the thread after the signing.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I’d likely be disappointed if we trade Virtanen as his value wouldn’t be very high and at worse he’s a really good 3rd liner that would be a handful in a playoff series. He should 100% have a future here, he’s a good player with some upside still. We need the speed he brings and the size/grit.

Reactions: iceburg

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Possibly. I think he is one "chip" that they would be willing to move. Still think they would be selling low though.

It is and precisely why I wouldn't be shocked if it happens. Benning is opposite man.

I will say that I'd much rather give $1.5 mil a year to Virtanen over Granlund.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It is and precisely why I wouldn't be shocked if it happens. Benning is opposite man.

I will say that I'd much rather give $1.5 mil a year to Virtanen over Granlund.

Without a doubt. Granlund is what he is. Virtanen still has a significant amount of upside and could be an important player in the future.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah, agreed, but it really feels like an overpayment is in the works. I have heard nothing to that end but I can sense a quote something like: "we're pleased to have signed Jake for 3 years x $2.5M per. He is a big, fast, power forward who can rip the puck. We see him as a key member of our core moving forward."
While he might develop into that, I'm nervous that they will pay before he does.

3x2.5 wouldn’t necessarily be all that crazy. 1x2.5, sure.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Virtanen would be dumb to sign anything more than a 1 year contract.

He's already been banged up a decent amount, though. I don't think it's necessarily dumb for any player who plays the way he'll need to if he's going to get the payday, and who is at the level he is a team right now to guarantee themselves multiple years of real NHL money.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He's already been banged up a decent amount, though. I don't think it's necessarily dumb for any player who plays the way he'll need to if he's going to get the payday, and who is at the level he is a team right now to guarantee themselves multiple years of real NHL money.
Ha.

That the mentality of older players or fringe NHLers.
Not a 21 yr old looking to break out.

He's coming off a 10g season with zero leverage... a multi yr deal would be a "fire my agent" type move.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Ha.

That the mentality of older players or fringe NHLers.
Not a 21 yr old looking to break out.

He's coming off a 10g season with zero leverage... a multi yr deal would be a "fire my agent" type move.

3x2.5 would have you firing his agent? I'd fire you as his agent firing advisor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad