Prospect Info: Jake Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I have not seen him play, but this description rings of Hudon. Would you say that's a fair comparison?

Evans is taller, he's more of a defensive forward with less offense then Hudon. One of his best assets is in the face-off circle. He should certainly be a good PKer as well. Both have that high hockey IQ. The question is how his offensive game translates and how his lack of strength, speed, skating impact him.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Evans is taller, he's more of a defensive forward with less offense then Hudon. One of his best assets is in the face-off circle. He should certainly be a good PKer as well. Both have that high hockey IQ. The question is how his offensive game translates and how his lack of strength, speed, skating impact him.

Lack of strength isn't a huge problem in today's game. Lack of skating/speed means you can't hold a spot in the lineup on a team that isn't tanking.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Lack of strength isn't a huge problem in today's game. Lack of skating/speed means you can't hold a spot in the lineup on a team that isn't tanking.
It doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't win a puck battle and get pushed off the puck very easily. Strength is still very important.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
It doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't win a puck battle and get pushed off the puck very easily. Strength is still very important.

Scherbak is having strength issues. But he's still a quality NHLer.

There's less mucking in the game. And the players that you're mucking against are getting smaller and smaller.

A 6'00 188 lbs player's size isn't a concern long term. He'll be able to put on enough muscle and strength to not get pushed around.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I don't think so in this day and age. Anybody can put on muscle with 1 hour a day of the proper weight training and core strengths exercise programs, and the right diet which includes being high in protein. Putting on fat may be difficult for some people's metabolisms, but anybody can grow/build their muscles.
This is true, but keeping the weight on is another story. I struggled for years to put weight on. I hired a personal trainer (who also helped me with the nutrition part) and went from 140lbs. to 175lbs. in about a year. The problem was as soon as I stopped working out and eating all that food (all of which was tough to keep up with not to mention expensive), I lost all the weight and I'm back to 140 again. It takes extreme discipline. Hopefully he has the necessary discipline if he needs a similar program as I had.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
This is true, but keeping the weight on is another story. I struggled for years to put weight on. I hired a personal trainer (who also helped me with the nutrition part) and went from 140lbs. to 175lbs. in about a year. The problem was as soon as I stopped working out and eating all that food (all of which was tough to keep up with not to mention expensive), I lost all the weight and I'm back to 140 again. It takes extreme discipline. Hopefully he has the necessary discipline if he needs a similar program as I had.

yes one needs to have a regular program or one won't keep the weight on. But one doesn't need to workout more than an hour a day. Plus he's already 188.

By the way, in my own personal experiences, being lanky, bulking up via heavy weight lifting I found draining. What works for me is a particular style of yoga: Ashtanga Yoga. I put on the perfect amount of weight/muscle, but also have more energy as opposed to being drained from weight training. Check it out if you have a chance. As for diet, I get enough protein from one beef meal and one chicken meal a day, plus a good amount of vegetables.

Reactions: John B

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Marc Denis said on TSN690 this morning that had Evans lost last night, MB had the ELC ready for Evans to sign, play on Saturday and burn a year of his ELC. That also indicates that the player was ready to sign as well.

Now that he's off to the final, that won't happen. However, I doubt that all of a sudden, Evans wouldn't want to sign with Habs anymore. He can still play in Laval next Friday and Saturday.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
with the regular season ending on Saturday, it's not like another team can give Evans the luxury of playing 1 game and burning 1yr off his ELC.

So unless he has zero interest in signing with the Habs, he should be playing the final 2 games for Laval next week and competing for a spot next year.

Too bad, would of liked to have seen him but this may end up working in our favor anyway.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
with the regular season ending on Saturday, it's not like another team can give Evans the luxury of playing 1 game and burning 1yr off his ELC.

So unless he has zero interest in signing with the Habs, he should be playing the final 2 games for Laval next week and competing for a spot next year.

Too bad, would of liked to have seen him but this may end up working in our favor anyway.

Iza good plan. Like with Lindgren it's a good enticement. Get him signed.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Will he sign in Montreal? Is he overhyped because he had a decent NCAA Career?

Skating and strength may still be an issue.

We will know soon
Lots
Of NCAA players are
Overhyped. And you
Know where they are overhyped

Right here on hfboards

If he had top9 potential he wouldn't go 7th round

Boohooo he scored a winning goal. Big f***n deal

Reactions: Habs100

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
DZzEBtSU0AA93L1.jpg:large

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Lots
Of NCAA players are
Overhyped. And you
Know where they are overhyped

Right here on hfboards

Boohooo he scored a winning goal. Big ****n deal

I agree with everything you're saying except that he can't have top 9 potential because he was a 7th rounder. There are, very occasionally, 7th rounders who become top 9. Sure he could be another Kristo, but that doesn't mean he will be.

But, I won't get excited until I see him at camp, next year, after a year at the pro level.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
I agree with everything you're saying except that he can't have top 9 potential because he was a 7th rounder. There are, very occasionally, 7th rounders who become top 9. Sure he could be another Kristo, but that doesn't mean he will be.

But, I won't get excited until I see him at camp, next year, after a year at the pro level.

What I'm trying to say is this

Tinordi was 6.6
mccarron 6.6

If they were so great with that size they would go top 10. But no. They were passed over by 24 teams. At 6.6 if they are passed over by 24 teams this means 24 scouts didn't think much of them to waste a first round pick

And yes many people here get overly excited about players. Especially NCAA players who are overhyped

When was the last NCAA player to score 50 goals? 40 goals? I'm sure not many

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Jake Evans is a prospect.
He could be good
could be bad

Lets stop overhyping prospect like everybody on the main board.
Literally everywhere on HFboards people overrate prospects. most of them are garbage or 4th liners.
Exactly

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

just to name a few,

Joe Pavelski was a 7th rounder. Played in the NCAA
Dustin Byfuglien was a 8th rounder
Patrick Hornqvist was a 7th rounder
Troy Brouwer was a 7th rounder,
Matt Moulson was a 9th round pick, played in the NCAA
Ryan Dzingel 7th rounder, 1 pt away from 40 pts, played in the NCAA

that's just 7th round or later. What about 6th rounders, or 5th rounders do they count?

Some kids peak later, some are underscouted. No reason to say that just because someone is picked in the 7th round, they can't be a 3rd liner in the NHL.

Evans will likely play in the NHL at some point because he's smart, hard working, great on draws, is a good playmaker. How good he will be is too early to say.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I've seen Jake Evans played twice.
While I don't think he'll be a superstar, I do think he'll be a good top 9 forward.
He's definitely not Joe Pavelski, he's more similar to Chicago's forward Nick Schmaltz.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've seen Jake Evans played twice.
While I don't think he'll be a superstar, I do think he'll be a good top 9 forward.
He's definitely not Joe Pavelski, he's more similar to Chicago's forward Nick Schmaltz.

nobody would ever compare him to Pavelski. He's a playmaker through and through. If you look at his teammate last year Anders Bjork, Evans is a good notch or two below him in terms of skill. That's not even touching the physical aspects like speed, skating, strength.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Evans plays one year in the AHL next year. Very curious to see if he can take the next step in his development but one year of AHL is needed IMO

He’s a bottom 6 forward potential

Reactions: Goldenhands

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
What I'm trying to say is this

Tinordi was 6.6
mccarron 6.6

If they were so great with that size they would go top 10. But no. They were passed over by 24 teams. At 6.6 if they are passed over by 24 teams this means 24 scouts didn't think much of them to waste a first round pick

And yes many people here get overly excited about players. Especially NCAA players who are overhyped

When was the last NCAA player to score 50 goals? 40 goals? I'm sure not many

I guess thats why you don't get excited by prospects

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think his potential is definitely top 9. We'll see what happens, but I think he has the talent to hang with skilled players and produce while being able to hand the other duties of the center position. I don't think he's ever gonna put up 60+, but I could see him being a 50p guy if everything works out. Like a guy who's of similar quality to Danault, but more skilled and offensive minded.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Really interesting to see how this plays out. Wouldn't be surprised to see him downplayed as a prospect the more it looks like he won't sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad