Post-Game Talk: Jake "All-in" for an NFL-type score!

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I meant this season. Where Dach is missing 80 games, Newhook, Guhle, Harris - key parts of this long, dull, painful rebuild have missed time, while floaters like Anderson, Armia, Gallagher (not counting his getting suspended for being a dumbass), Allen, Evans are all still skating about doing nothing, not part of the future.

The guys we need to be playing and progressing and getting hurt while the ones we can't give away are fine, not getting injuries because they don't play with any sort of intensity.

I honestly forgot Dvorak was still here. Pearson missed some time.
Honestly. Both Armia and Evans have been pretty good in their roles. Evan’s plays incredibly hard, takes a beating and blocks shots. How can you say he doesn’t play with intensity? Of course there would be better options if we were competing, but we’re not. Why rush a young guy in?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
MSL with some terrible decision making to literally start the game...........Allen FFS
Struble a human pylon, and Allen proving MSL wrong................
TSN big moement of the game, 25 seconds in.................
The PK today, what to say................wow.

File this one under WTF and start thinking trades and the draft lottery.
We all need to ask the hockey gods, politely for a healthy roster next year, and new PP and PK coaches.

I'm about done with Struble getting all these free chances after his massive screwups, and my boy Arbs is Strike 1 and out of here.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
It blows my mind that people are expecting more than what they are seeing.. of course, if they got more than what they are seeing, they'd piss their pants that we were ruining another draft pick that we need to be high.

Basically, they'll complain about anything and ignore context.
Exactly. And my god, anyone that misses the days of DD and Pacioretty just lost my respect 😂

I'm about done with Struble getting all these free chances after his massive screwups, and my boy Arbs is Strike 1 and out of here.
Funny enough, but the only guys that aren’t screwing up are Savard and Kovy. Everyone is else is messing up. It’s not just Struble. Even Guhle makes some bad plays.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Exactly. And my god, anyone that misses the days of DD and Pacioretty just lost my respect 😂

Funny enough, but the only guys that aren’t screwing up are Savard and Kovy. Everyone is else is messing up. It’s not just Struble. Even Guhle makes some bad plays.

It's a hard league to be a young defenseman and sophomore slumps have always been a thing. This is the problem when people aren't hockey fans, they are just Habs fans, there is 0 ability to understand how things are across the league.

Reactions: MasterD and knuck

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
It blows my mind that people are expecting more than what they are seeing.. of course, if they got more than what they are seeing, they'd piss their pants that we were ruining another draft pick that we need to be high.

Basically, they'll complain about anything and ignore context.
Montembeault is too good, he’s ruining the tank! We’ll be mediocre forever!

Allen is so bad, he has become untradeable! We’ll be mediocre forever!

Our goalie must allow exactly 4 goals per game and the only acceptable score is 4-3 in regulation with goals from Suzuki, Slaf and Caufield.

Get with the program :D

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Montembeault is too good, he’s ruining the tank! We’ll be mediocre forever!

Allen is so bad, he has become untradeable! We’ll be mediocre forever!

Our goalie must allow exactly 4 goals per game and the only acceptable score is 4-3 in regulation with goals from Suzuki, Slaf and Caufield.

Get with the program :D

No because then we aren't winning - so that's bad, too!

• Wow
Reactions: Shred

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
We're not even at the half way point of our rebuilt. He knows it, HuGo knows it. He's not going anywhere until at least the end of next season, probably more.

What was he supposed to do, throw Allen and Struble under the bus?
he has no problem doing it to Xhekaj. You can't but notice that MSL doesn't like him .

Reactions: hvac412 and Habs13

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Not the first time this season that Allen is terrible right after being asked by the media about being traded at the morning skate or previous day practice. Not hard to see where the problem is.

Primeau doesn't have half of Allen's mental fortitude, he's going to be toasted out of Montréal in six months nex

Glad someone noticed.

Reactions: Habs

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I meant this season. Where Dach is missing 80 games, Newhook, Guhle, Harris - key parts of this long, dull, painful rebuild have missed time, while floaters like Anderson, Armia, Gallagher (not counting his getting suspended for being a dumbass), Allen, Evans are all still skating about doing nothing, not part of the future.

The guys we need to be playing and progressing and getting hurt while the ones we can't give away are fine, not getting injuries because they don't play with any sort of intensity.

I honestly forgot Dvorak was still here. Pearson missed some time.

Some of y'all need to pay attention to other teams, because this "rebuild" hasn't been long by any stretch of the imagination.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
MSL with some terrible decision making to literally start the game...........Allen FFS
Struble a human pylon, and Allen proving MSL wrong................
TSN big moement of the game, 25 seconds in.................
The PK today, what to say................wow.

File this one under WTF and start thinking trades and the draft lottery.
We all need to ask the hockey gods, politely for a healthy roster next year, and new PP and PK coaches.
What?

Struble, our 22 years old rookie with 21 AHL games and 34 NHL games of experience, had a very rough night. For sure.

To call him a pylon though, shows you're either not watching the games, or very disingenuous.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Some of y'all need to pay attention to other teams, because this "rebuild" hasn't been long by any stretch of the imagination.
this rebuild is much more interesting than any therrien/Julien team carried by CP31.
Like did anybody actually believe we would win anything with those teams , it blows my mind

I'm convinced the win now crowd just don't follow the sport outside of Montreal and don't have an actual grasp on how ass our roster has been compared to almost every team in the league for 20 years before the rebuild started

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
he has no problem doing it to Xhekaj. You can't but notice that MSL doesn't like him .
We have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. Maybe they repeated tens of times and Xhekaj didn't listen. Or maybe MSL doesn't like him. We don't know.

Either way, Xhekaj didn't play well at the end of his season last year, and didn't play well this year. He deserved to be sent down, and will get better. There's a reason he was never drafted.

Patience.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
The discussion on whether we should have tanked or tried to compete is pretty meaningless anyway as there was no real choice in the matter. The new FO took over a last place roster and had no choice but to sell off before the 2022 deadline because of the upcoming cap problems for summer 2022.

It's easy to forget this now but the Habs had zero money available in summer 2022 until Price agreed to go on LTIR in mid August, and they used the money to eat Monahan and sign Dach. Last summer going into this year there was a tad more flexibility but at most we could have afforded to add maybe one generic Garland/Perron/Killorn/Compher type of forward and that's not enough to change anything. A bottom 5-7 finish was always locked in for 22-23 and 23-24, the roster was overloaded and capped out with bad veteran players and lost Danault, Price, Weber, Kotkaniemi, and had Gallagher and Petry both decline heavily. You can't just snap your fingers and make 30M in bad contracts disappear and instantly replace them with market-value star players.

I get that the rebuttal is just going to be "lol you can always blame the last guy" but the NHL has a hard salary cap and the Habs were completely capped out on crappy veterans who had little to no trade value. We got paid a 1st to take Monahan for 1x6.1, the price to dump Drouin, Hoffman, Armia, Petry, etc and then also go out and acquire enough core roster talent to get the team into the playoffs 2023 or 2024 would have been absolutely astronomical.

For the upcoming summer & 24-25 there's probably room for debate as there's finally more cap & roster flexibility, but the discussion of whether or not we "should" have tanked for 22-23 or 23-24 is pretty meaningless as there was no realistic path to anything remotely close to a playoff team.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The discussion on whether we should have tanked or tried to compete is pretty meaningless anyway as there was no real choice in the matter. The new FO took over a last place roster and had no choice but to sell off before the 2022 deadline because of the upcoming cap problems for summer 2022.

It's easy to forget this now but the Habs had zero money available in summer 2022 until Price agreed to go on LTIR in mid August, and they used the money to eat Monahan and sign Dach. Last year there was a tad more flexibility but at most we could have afforded to add maybe one generic Garland/Perron/Killorn/Compher type of forward and that's not enough to change anything. A bottom 5-7 finish was always locked in for 22-23 and 23-24, the roster was overloaded and capped out with bad veteran players and lost Danault, Price, Weber, Kotkaniemi, and had Gallagher and Petry both decline heavily. You can't just snap your fingers and make 30M in bad contracts disappear and instantly replace them with market-value star players.

I get that the rebuttal is just going to be "lol you can always blame the last guy" but the NHL has a hard salary cap and the Habs were completely capped out on crappy veterans who had little to no trade value. We got paid a 1st to take Monahan for 1x6.1, the price of paying to dump Drouin, Hoffman, Armia, Petry, etc and then also go out and acquire enough core roster talent to get the team into the playoffs 2023 or 2024 would have been absolutely astronomical.

For the upcoming summer & 24-25 there's probably room for debate as there's finally more cap & roster flexibility, but the discussion of whether or not we "should" have tanked for 22-23 or 23-24 is pretty meaningless as there was no realistic path to anything remotely close to a playoff team.

I'd also note that other than the Boston Bruins who somehow have transitioned out of the Bergeron/Krejci era.. so the exception to the rule... a team surviving losing their two star players, forever, and coming back and being competitive.. is just not a logical possibility.

Especially since they were not losing their two star players off a deep roster, it was a roster who had recently been bad enough to draft 3 OA for Kotkaniemi and was going to draft top 10 if Covid didn't force them into the bubble.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
What?

Struble, our 22 years old rookie with 21 AHL games and 34 NHL games of experience, had a very rough night. For sure.

To call him a pylon though, shows you're either not watching the games, or very disingenuous.
to be fair he's had a rough month or so.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I actually went to both games this weekend, so I thought I'd share some of my impressions.

1) Allen was brutal and Montembault was great, but both of them have rebound control issues. Montembault's compete is great though and he had some pretty impressive moments.

2) The lack of structure the team plays with is noticeable. A lot of the guys compete hard, but they look chaotic out there at times. I think Suzuki and Caufield were the only guys that didn't have at least one moment where they froze and didn't know what to do at certain points. Its not a major issue mid-rebuild when development of young guys is the priority, but the coaching staff needs to either address it or changes will need to be made to the coaching staff.

3) The Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky line is the light in the darkness of the season. Most attention is on the growth of Slafkovsky and what he can end up becoming considering how raw he still is and that you still see the confidence isn't quite there yet to make plays more consistently. But Caufield's defensive play and playmaking growth deserves some credit, as does Suzuki's willingness to use his shot and go for it offensively. That line was targeted by both Dallas and St. Louis and still were able to control the play.

4) There really isn't much standout at forward other than them, but Newhook's upside is pretty noticeable and I think playing with an actual top-6 forward or two would bring out more than he's shown so far. He doesn't have the chemistry with other guys yet (especially on the PP), but he makes things happen in a good way. Gignac, Roy, Pezz and Armia also played well.

5) The lack of depth on D is noticeable. Matheson was generally good, but he had a number of gaffes that sours the overall impression. Savard's lack of speed is a big problem. Guhle is good, but I don't really see what some do in him. I think he'll be a really good #3D (maybe #2), but I'm not sure I see more there. I really didn't like his performance on the PP against St. Louis. Struble and Kovacevic struggled a lot and Xhekaj probably needs more icetime.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Not sure if this was posted :laugh:
IMG_1540.jpeg

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
I don't remember the last time a team finished a game with only 2 defense-men. Would have been interesting if there was a lot more time left.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I tend to think that Harris was/is on the trade block and therefore needed to play. Of course, if he’s out now, so much for that.
If Xhekaj was in the doghouse, then what about the rumours that Hughes is turning down offers for him? I don’t buy it. Xhekaj is fine and will be part of the team going forward. Now, if they call up Norlinder and play him over Arber, ThEN I’d agree that there’s a problem.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We don’t really know that MSL hates Xhekaj. However, this is what happens when a coach chooses to publicly call out certain players for making mistakes and not others. These kind of inferences can be avoided by simply dealing with a player’s mistakes, privately.

Reactions: The Real Timo

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
this rebuild is much more interesting than any therrien/Julien team carried by CP31.
Like did anybody actually believe we would win anything with those teams , it blows my mind

I'm convinced the win now crowd just don't follow the sport outside of Montreal and don't have an actual grasp on how ass our roster has been compared to almost every team in the league for 20 years before the rebuild started

Maybe on a pro-tank not watching games but only scoreboard fans, and what's wrong with being carried by your best player, isn't it the way it suppose to be

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Maybe on a pro-tank not watching games but only scoreboard fans, and what's wrong with being carried by your best player, isn't it the way it suppose to be
The entire roster was bottom 5 in the NHL . you can't win in a parity league with a HOF goaltender and a bunch of scrubs.

If you thought those teams were ever going to win anything that's cool for you.

Most people knew we had no chance of winning the cup going into every single year of the Gainey/Bergevin régime.

Personally I couldn't care less about a Wednesday night in february i want the team to have cup contention ambitions , not fill up seats in the regular season and pray for 8th place ambitions

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
The entire roster was bottom 5 in the NHL . you can't win in a parity league with a HOF goaltender and a bunch of scrubs.

If you thought those teams were ever going to win anything that's cool for you.

Most people knew we had no chance of winning the cup going into every single year of the Gainey/Bergevin régime.

Personally I couldn't care less about a Wednesday night in february i want the team to have cup contention ambitions , not fill up seats in the regular season and pray for 8th place ambitions

Entire roster being bottom 5 is grossly exagerated but i was just mentioning that watching games back then was way more fun then warching them now for me, but of course if you're not watching it's not the same

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad