GDT: Jagr vs LA (the time and channel in the title, wouldya?)

Jagr?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Fun game!
I thought it was an excellent throwback game.

Love Chucky so much.

I wouldn’t be angry to see Ferly sit in favour of Lazar; I thought Brouwer had his best game so far minus the dumb penalty.

I'm not ashamed to say I was a big fan of Brouwer's game tonight. Made good defensive plays, forechecked aggressively, played with some cojones.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Allowed 40+ shots for the second straight game. That's unsustainable, for a team with supposedly great defense this nonsense of allowing chances needs to get hashed out sooner than later.
I mean, the shots are relatively low danger, which is better than what it used to be. Still need to get the shots against down though - agreed there.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah Brouwer really good I thought. I also think Bennett is on the edge of breaking out.

Just waiting for it. He’s the best skater (forward) on the team with his speed burst and pace. He’s had chances every night so far. I assume a game ready Jagr would help him out a lot.

Reactions: Cyrano and Dack

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Allowed 40+ shots for the second straight game. That's unsustainable, for a team with supposedly great defense this nonsense of allowing chances needs to get hashed out sooner than later.

I still think it's a weird strategy by Gully. Like... reverse corsi or something. IMO his systems have been a visual mess this season so far. But if it's working and still improving....

Loved what I saw from Versteeg, Jagr and Bennett... but formation wise from a distance... that's just weird looking. IMO Jagr having slight issues with his new skates. Kept falling down.

Reactions: Dack

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I still think it's a weird strategy by Gully. Like... reverse corsi or something. IMO his systems have been a visual mess this season so far. But if it's working and still improving....

Loved what I saw from Versteeg, Jagr and Bennett... but formation wise from a distance... that's just weird looking. IMO Jagr having slight issues with his new skates. Kept falling down.

I'm going to oversimplify here but, when your goalie makes the easy saves it's easy to just focus on preventing high-danger chances. Which we have done for the most part the last couple games.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Kings fan here, good game and i'm enjoying the new rivalry we've got going on .... till the next, cheers

You guys deserved that one, had us on the ropes for a solid two thirds of the game. Great hockey for sure

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
I mean, the shots are relatively low danger, which is better than what it used to be. Still need to get the shots against down though - agreed there.

Not sure if I'd say that. We gave up a lot of really dangerous chances and let them bivouac right next to the net for long stretches. Moreover they shouldn't be getting to the circles anyway if our defense was really playing to its potential.

I believe it's what's commonly referred to as "4D chess"

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm going to oversimplify here but, when your goalie makes the easy saves it's easy to just focus on preventing high-danger chances. Which we have done for the most part the last couple games.

That's what I'm thinking as well. We're letting shots go on net on purpose. It's not a sustainable situation thing. It's almost stat padding for Smith.

We don't seem to clear traffic in front of net unless it's some nasty customer like Perry. We let Smith see shots. Which allowed a guy like Brown to play against him perfectly. Brown's hand eye is fricken good. I think the theory must sorta be... if you let Smith do his thing on weak shots and have players 2-3 "paces" away from the net, you're covering more ice rather than crowding the net and being inefficient there.

Whatever it is, it's quite different than last season for sure. Bits of the same, but almost starting to look like some lines have significantly different strats (on top of roles) vs other lines. Cool stuff, but weird. In a good, but still odd feeling way.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That was a pretty ****ty 40 minutes before OT. Smith stole that

That second period was allllll Kings and the start of the third. I do like the fight back... it’s nice to have a goalie stealing games.

When this team puts it together... they’re going to be really hard on teams. Imagine that except Smith facing 25 shots a night versus 40.

There’s some holes for sure still. Unsurprisingly the first line got hammered on possession (I think you need a more responsible RW in there at this time) but more surprisingly the 3M line had a weak possession game.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
That was tense, but fun, mainly because we won... Flames really forgot to show up after the first, was pumped when Tkachuck scored the game tieing goal, Smith stole the game for us... again.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
There’s some holes for sure still. Unsurprisingly the first line got hammered on possession (I think you need a more responsible RW in there at this time) but more surprisingly the 3M line had a weak possession game.

Situation of where possession stats don't tell the whole story. We got outshot pretty often but I think 3M won us that game even more than Smith did.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Not sure if I'd say that. We gave up a lot of really dangerous chances and let them bivouac right next to the net for long stretches. Moreover they shouldn't be getting to the circles anyway if our defense was really playing to its potential.

I believe it's what's commonly referred to as "4D chess"

Brown's goals were perhaps out of the ordinary though. Everyone played (based on my understanding) perfectly to limit normal danger chances. Brown was just able to capitalize on some slick redirections. That's talent IMO. I think other teams don't score on those situations if it wasn't Brown up front.

Now IMO, our speed is to blame. LA doesn't seem like the slow team from years prior. IMO I think speed wise, the roles have changed. Add a sprinkle of possession from both teams, I can see why we got hemmed.

I really wanted to groan when Barts was playing, but he played pretty dang well. Brouwer too. I'm starting to see a a cohesive group in more than just "we do things by committee". Somehow it's more than just lines pulling their own weight. But I can't fully describe it.

Reactions: Cyrano

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Every single player owes Mike Smith a beer after that absolute **** show we put on.
3/4 games this season we've allowed >43 shots, that trend needs to stop.

Reactions: Mobiandi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig